Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Fixed my shocking bump steer
JoelP

posted on 27/7/24 at 05:17 PM Reply With Quote
Fixed my shocking bump steer

Whilst changing the shocks on my car, I realised that the bump steer was absolutely shocking, and quite easy to fix. The car has always been crazy over bumps, but I convinced myself it was to be expected in a kit car. With no shocks on though, you could see it was crazy bad. Like, 20 degrees from full bump to droop. Looking at the angle of the steering arm, you can see why.

Old angles bad
Old angles bad

The rack couldn't be lowered because there's a chassis member right under the steering column, and the mounts are full welded anyway. So I decided to change the track rod ends for 14mm rod ends, attached to the top of the arm on the upright. Ordered all the parts, which arrived today, and it was actually ridiculously easy to do. Photos next post...

JoelP

posted on 27/7/24 at 05:18 PM Reply With Quote
Drilled the taper out to 14mm...

Taper drilled out
Taper drilled out

JoelP

posted on 27/7/24 at 05:21 PM Reply With Quote
New bolt. Not actually what I expected, I thought I'd got fully threaded high tensile, but this is marked at 4.8. Sure its fine though.

Steering bolt
Steering bolt

JoelP

posted on 27/7/24 at 05:23 PM Reply With Quote
Fully bolted up. It does need a small shim under the rod end, as it binds up a cm before full droop. Had it been a fully threaded bolt, I'd have stuck a nut in, but I don't have any small washers to hand. The big washer is obviously too catch it if the rod end fails.

Complete
Complete

JoelP

posted on 27/7/24 at 05:25 PM Reply With Quote
Final photo showing the angle now. The shim will improve it even more. As it is now though, there is no discernible bump steer from full bump to full droop. Very happy. Sadly, can't test till new shocks arrive!

New angles good
New angles good

JoelP

posted on 27/7/24 at 05:26 PM Reply With Quote
Ps, no idea why the photos come out sideways and stretch res!

craig1410

posted on 27/7/24 at 09:57 PM Reply With Quote
Nice one - should feel quite a bit more stable on the road.

I think I'd be looking for at least an 8.8 grade bolt and ideally a 10.9. I agree that 4.8 is probably fine but last thing you want is the rod end becoming detached if you hit a pothole or something.

Try: https://www.namrick.co.uk

Let us know how you get on once back on the road.

voucht
Contributor

Posts 237
Registered 22/5/11

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Haynes roadster on the road since november 2014 bu

posted on 28/7/24 at 12:14 PM Reply With Quote
Good job on the correction of the steer bump.
Although I second what Craig wrote about the bolt grade. I wouldn't go under 8.8 on a steering link.
Also, it is good the have bolt with an unthreaded part.
As we are talking about 2 bolts only, I would spend a few pennies more to get 12.9 grade bolts with an unthreaded part of a length as close a possible to the thickness of the steering arm + the thickness of the rod end.
Hope that will help

https://vouchtroadster.blogspot.com/
https://cafrazx550.blogspot.com/

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Mr Whippy

posted on 29/7/24 at 12:04 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JoelP
New bolt. Not actually what I expected, I thought I'd got fully threaded high tensile, but this is marked at 4.8. Sure its fine though.

Steering bolt
Steering bolt

Nope, don't even try it. Not fit for purpose.

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
pigeondave

posted on 29/7/24 at 12:17 PM Reply With Quote
I've always liked this video as an easy explanation on how to measure bump steer

https://youtu.be/LO07qmJ9zkk?si=UGcGfWRhpHGWNQ7t

JoelP

posted on 18/8/24 at 11:06 AM Reply With Quote
I can confirm that handing on the motorway has been absolutely transformed. It's gone from a significant twitch from driving over a white line, to being fairly relaxed driving with one hand. Still wants to follow the dents from lorry tyres on a worn road though. Is that maybe not enough self centering, or would more castor etc make it follow ruts worse?
JoelP

posted on 18/8/24 at 11:07 AM Reply With Quote
Oh yeah, having new front springs makes it quite noticeable that the rear shocks are not damped properly any more...
MikeR

posted on 18/8/24 at 04:37 PM Reply With Quote
Practical suggestion, swap the bolts and nuts round 180 degrees. If the nut loosens the bolt will drop and you've no steering currently. If you drop the bolt in from the top and screw the nut up from below, then if the nut loosens and drops off you'll still have some wobbly steering.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.