Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Fuel injection layout (K-series)
Humbug

posted on 24/2/05 at 08:03 AM Reply With Quote
Fuel injection layout (K-series)

I have seen a couple of posts on fuel injection layout but nothing specifically about K-series. On other forums (e.g. Blatchat) I have seen something like:

Rear:
Tank->Filter->Low pressure fuel pump (e.g. Facet)

Engine bay:
Swirl pot->high pressure pump->filter->fuel rail->return to swirl pot->return to tank

I'm not sure why the extra low pressure pump is needed - one of the recommended high pressure pumps like a Golf GTI or Vauxhall SRi would not originally have had a low pressure feed as well?

A recent post here went something like Tank->filter->pump->fuel rail->return to tank, which seems a lot simpler, or am I missing something important about flow rates, pressure or something?

nick205

posted on 24/2/05 at 08:14 AM Reply With Quote
For what it's worth the Pug 205 GTi uses the following set-up...

Tank >> Pump >>Filter >> Pressure Regulator >> Fuel Rail >> Return to Tank

From memory I believe the Golf GTi uses the same layout as well.

... The fuel pumps are high pressure ones!
HTH

Nick

[Edited on 24/2/05 by nick205]

britishtrident

posted on 24/2/05 at 08:20 AM Reply With Quote
Low pressure pump is required if you use a swirl pot, the simplest way is to use an in tank hp pump -- the one from the Rover 620 is quite easy to fit.

[Edited on 24/2/05 by britishtrident]

colibriman

posted on 24/2/05 at 09:48 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

I'm not sure why the extra low pressure pump is needed - one of the recommended high pressure pumps like a Golf GTI or Vauxhall SRi would not originally have had a low pressure feed as well?

the way I understood it was that the swirlpot and high pressure pump at the engine is used to avoid having the return fuel line to the tank.......right or wrong?

[Edited on 24/2/05 by colibriman]

need a bike engine? - www.colibriman.com

SVA ready Mk Indyblade possibly for sale.....if the offers good...!

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
clbarclay

posted on 24/2/05 at 10:00 AM Reply With Quote
Not sure how relevent this is to petrol injection but most deisel injection systems need some sort of low pressure pump to make sure the high pressure injection pump is filled propely in between injections.
britishtrident

posted on 24/2/05 at 10:46 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by clbarclay
Not sure how relevent this is to petrol injection but most deisel injection systems need some sort of low pressure pump to make sure the high pressure injection pump is filled propely in between injections.

Exactly right, with electronic petrol the low presure pump isn't needed if the high presure pump is in the tank.

britishtrident

posted on 24/2/05 at 10:49 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by colibriman

the way I understood it was that the swirlpot and high pressure pump at the engine is used to avoid having the return fuel line to the tank.......right or wrong?

[Edited on 24/2/05 by colibriman]

Not really if the return line isn't fitted the fuel rail pressure regulator won't work properly, it also bleeds the air out if the tank has been emptied.

Humbug

posted on 24/2/05 at 11:25 AM Reply With Quote
... I should have said: the GTI pump apparently has a swirl pot built in - does that make any difference to the need for a low pressure pump at the rear?
stressy

posted on 24/2/05 at 11:58 AM Reply With Quote
Just try and gravity feed the pump

WHO DARES SPINS

Humbug

posted on 24/2/05 at 04:01 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by stressy
Just try and gravity feed the pump

Thanks - I still have the previous info you sent me on the K-series. Do you (or anyone else?) think I can get away with only having the high pressure pump (with swirl pot) at the rear? It just seems unnecessarily complicated to have to have 2 pumps, etc.)

Anyone got any specific part numbers/suppliers for swirl pots, high pressure pumps?

Stu16v

posted on 24/2/05 at 07:21 PM Reply With Quote
The low pressure pump is indeed there to supply the swirl pot. In tank pumps/gravity fed pumps are fine, except for one thing - fuel surge. A swirl pot will prevent (read cure) fuel surge, whereas it is likely to take quite a complicated design of tank to prevent it otherwise. Remember this type of sports car is capable of generating far higher cornering forces than your average tintop. Not only will your engine not like running weak because of starvation, but it wont do your injection pump or injectors any favours either.

However, as you say, the GTi pump has the swirl pot built in, with careful positoning is reported to do the job fine.

Dont just build it.....make it!

Humbug

posted on 24/2/05 at 09:29 PM Reply With Quote
"Careful positioning" presumably meaning below the level of the tank?

then do away with the low pressure pump, you reckon?

Humbug

posted on 7/3/05 at 02:43 PM Reply With Quote
Does anyone know the part number and a supplier for the Golf GTI combined high pressure pump and swirl pot?

Thanks

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.