Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Starting my 'blade
unixguy

posted on 16/8/05 at 01:54 AM Reply With Quote
Starting my 'blade

I have it wired up, all now seems correct. With the ignition on, the fuel pump pumps, I touch the two "start button" wires together and the starter turns the engine over. However, it does not start.. I put a test meter on the wires going to the coils - nothing. I have "bypassed" the clutch and side stand switches by twisting the ends of the wires together to complete a curcuit - is this the right way to do it? Are there other things I'm missing?

Although I said I didn't get any current showing on the coils, please don't assume this is the problem, I may have been doing it wrong :]

So, any suggestions as to what I should check/change/etc? I should note my engine is 1993 RRP.

Brooky

posted on 16/8/05 at 06:06 AM Reply With Quote
its a long time since i did my wiring but dont the clutch and side stand wires need to be earthed rather than twisted together ?
But as usual i may be wrong.

shortie

posted on 16/8/05 at 06:27 AM Reply With Quote
Yep, they need to be earthed out the circuit, also the fuel pump relay is usually removed as this also stops ignition if not connected right.

Have a look at my wiring diagram which may help Indyblade wiring diagram

Rich.

ReMan

posted on 16/8/05 at 07:34 AM Reply With Quote
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=29995

www.plusnine.co.uk
∙،°. ˘Ô≈ôﺣ

unixguy

posted on 16/8/05 at 10:24 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the replies guys.

When you say I should earth those wires, which ones should go there? For example, the side stand has 3 wires, and I have two of them twisted together to simulate the "up" position, according to Haynes. Should I just connect all three of those to earth, or what?

G.Man

posted on 16/8/05 at 12:15 PM Reply With Quote
You oughta wire the side stand switch into a momentary button on the gear lever...

Superstock quick shifter style

Its a long time since I have done this (and not on a honda) but arent the clutch, sidestand and neutral switches all wired so that the combo has to be correct for the engine to run?

On a yamaha you can start the bike and run it on the sidestand no problems as long as it is in neutral... when you put it in gear the engine stops, unless the sidestand is now up...

Bit like a 1st floor landing light system..

Opinions are like backsides..
Everyone has one, nobody wants to hear it and only other peoples stink!

G.Man

posted on 16/8/05 at 12:18 PM Reply With Quote
My engine and wiring loom are RRV (1997) but the CDI unit I have happens to be a later RRW (1998) which works fine but features an anti-theft system which must be present or the CDI will not generate a spark. Simulate this device by fitting a 390 Ohm resistor in-line between the 12v supply and one of the CDI unit pins. See http://www.dodgyroger.com/locost/RRWCDIunitwiring.pdf for a wiring diagram. If your engine won't start and you get no spark, you may have a later CDI unit.

[Edited on 16/8/05 by G.Man]

unixguy

posted on 16/8/05 at 02:35 PM Reply With Quote
I'm pretty certain I have my wiring correct now:

Following the Haynes manual and replies, I have connected the green/green-white side stand wires to earth, closed the clutch switch and the neuteral switch is to earth.

When I connect the battery, the fuel pump (an R1 carb model pump) sucks up fuel until the carbs are full and then stops (I assume it's pressure sensiteive?) I have connected my multimeter to the wires going to the coils, and I don't see any charge going to them when I activate the starter by means of the starter "button". Either I am not testing the coil wires correctly or the plugs are not sparking.

Am I trying to start my engine correctly? This is the procedure I have tried: I press the starter button (or rather, cross the two wires), the engine then turns over on the starter, the carbs appear to be full, I pull the choke.. nothing happens.

Suggestions?

Peteff

posted on 16/8/05 at 02:50 PM Reply With Quote
Take a plug out and put it to bare metal while you turn it over so you can actually see if there is a spark. That's what I did to check on my ZX9R engine and found I only had a spark in neutral till I crossed the sidestand and clutch wires. I had to turn it over for a good minute to get it to actually run so don't expect it to kick up straight away even if you have a spark.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

unixguy

posted on 16/8/05 at 03:58 PM Reply With Quote
I don't have a suitable tool to reach down the plug hole - can anyone suggest an accurate way of testing whether I'm getting current to the plugs without actually taking one out?
nanosleep

posted on 16/8/05 at 04:23 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by unixguy
I don't have a suitable tool to reach down the plug hole - can anyone suggest an accurate way of testing whether I'm getting current to the plugs without actually taking one out?

I'm not sure how the plug wires are done on that engine. Can you pull the wire off by hand? If so, just stick a screwdriver of the appropriate size into the electrical connection where the plug would go. Then lay the screwdriver metal part so it touches the engine block (or other good grounding point). You should see a spark and possibly hear a pop. The nice thing about screwdrivers (plastic handled only) is that you can hold it in place without getting a nasty shock.

There's only two things you'll need to run: gas/air and spark. You can check the spark via the screwdriver method. I think you said the carb bowls were getting pumped full. Are the jets possibly stoppped up? Open the throttle blades and look down into the carbs. Do they look wet deep inside? If not try getting a small bottle of gasoline and squirt a little down into the carb barrel. After the squirt, if she cranks and runs for a few seconds then you have carb stoppage. Be sure to set the bottle well away from the engine when cranking. You might get a free haircut otherwise.

HTH
-Andy

2000 Mustang GT
2003 Mustang Cobra 450RWHP/450RWTQ
2004 ZX-10R
In progress: 67 Mustang with 520ci(8.6L) V8, 600HP estimated

colibriman

posted on 16/8/05 at 04:53 PM Reply With Quote
you have U2U...

need a bike engine? - www.colibriman.com

SVA ready Mk Indyblade possibly for sale.....if the offers good...!

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
unixguy

posted on 16/8/05 at 05:39 PM Reply With Quote
Colin, your the man! That sorted it out! Starts first time and runs great!
colibriman

posted on 16/8/05 at 05:49 PM Reply With Quote
cool....!

glad to be of help....!

have fun

Colin

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Winston Todge

posted on 16/8/05 at 07:23 PM Reply With Quote
What sorted it then?

G.Man

posted on 16/8/05 at 07:25 PM Reply With Quote
Dont you just hate it when they PM solutions rather than help people who might use the search function later

colibriman

posted on 16/8/05 at 07:28 PM Reply With Quote
haha....now now lads.....

did it over the phone ()

It was the stop switch that hadn't been shorted out so there was no feed to the cdi or the coils....

Winston Todge

posted on 16/8/05 at 08:09 PM Reply With Quote
Hehee, thanks Colin, just curious...

Chris

G.Man

posted on 16/8/05 at 09:15 PM Reply With Quote
Wicked, glad it was all resolved..

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.