Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: painting the inside of bodyshell
ayoungman

posted on 3/10/05 at 02:07 PM Reply With Quote
painting the inside of bodyshell

I would like to paint the inside of the GRP bodyshell black . What would you guys recommend/ have used.
I am intending to leave the cockpit untrimmed and I think the fibre looks ugly.

"just like that !"

RazMan

posted on 3/10/05 at 06:12 PM Reply With Quote
I would have thought any enamel paint would do it. The main purpose might be for cosmetic reasons but it also stops light penetration which can make the body colour appear rather patchy- I have seen one bodyshell done in Hammerite silver - looked quite good!

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Messenjah

posted on 3/10/05 at 06:35 PM Reply With Quote
to make the colour of the pannels stand out more there are different colours you should paintit with depending on the clolour of the panels

ths principal is similar to when painting a RC car bodyshel

BRIGHT colour = white backing then a black backing because you wont want the insde to be white

DARK colours blues or blacks .... = silver then black of just black

Strolls

posted on 3/10/05 at 07:19 PM Reply With Quote
I haven't built yet, so I can't advise from experience, but Iain Ayre's The Kit Car Manual (Haynes) recommends:
quote:
using underseal on "the inner wings, anywhere a stone could be thrown up. GRP is hard & brittle and a stone thrown up by a tyre can easily cause a star crack that runs right through the panel and shows up in the outer surface. Use clear underseal on gelcoat-finished cars as it has been known for black underseal to leach through the GRP and show through the gelcoat.

Stroller.

RazMan

posted on 3/10/05 at 09:23 PM Reply With Quote
CBS do a product - Wunderseal. This is ideal for painting the inside of wheel arches and other fragile areas. Then you can put your choice of colour over the top.

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.