Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Insurance
unixguy

posted on 9/11/05 at 03:54 AM Reply With Quote
Insurance

Hey there guys.

A friend of mine from the US is paying me a visit soon, and I'm wondering if he/I could take out insurance on a car that I own to cover him driving it for a month?

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Humbug

posted on 9/11/05 at 06:46 AM Reply With Quote
Speak to your insurance company about getting him added as a named driver for teh month
unixguy

posted on 9/11/05 at 07:02 AM Reply With Quote
The plan is for me to buy some old car for him to use while he is here; so there would be no current insurance on it.
Kissy

posted on 9/11/05 at 07:52 AM Reply With Quote
Hire a car if it's a month - you can get a decent rate for a base model (eg corsa) - find a local company, not a brand name.
Alternative is to buy something out of the local paper or e-Bay and then ring round. May be cheaper to take out insurance for a year on installments and then cancel when it suits - you'll have to pay a bit for cancelling, so check out the small print; may also be cheaper for you to be 'main driver' HTH

DarrenW

posted on 9/11/05 at 08:58 AM Reply With Quote
If you are handy with cars you could even buy wisely at auction, insure on installments as said above, cancel after a month and sell car for small profit to offset the insurance cost - net effect - costs nothing.

stevebubs

posted on 9/11/05 at 09:00 AM Reply With Quote
Yes - you can get a daily rate on Insurance. I've done it a few times when I've bought a new car and there's been overlap with getting rid of the old one.

Just give the broker for your tin-top a call and they should be able to sort you out.

Stephen

steve_gus

posted on 9/11/05 at 08:39 PM Reply With Quote
when I looked when changing cars, there was a car hire company that did a small car over a month at about 14 quid a day all in.

Im sure there are many deals like that.

thats about 400 quid. by the time you have bought a car and insured it, it would cost more than that

atb

steve

http://www.locostbuilder.co.uk

Just knock off the 's'!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
JoelP

posted on 9/11/05 at 09:56 PM Reply With Quote
i found a place in leeds that charged about £110 for a corsa for a week, quite a good price considering theres no other bills to pay - except fuel of course, which will undoubtedly make an american feel ill!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.