Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Alternative engine install (V8 or V6)
donut

posted on 5/12/05 at 05:33 PM Reply With Quote
Alternative engine install (V8 or V6)

Right...plan for the future so i don't get board next winter is to rebuild an engine or getting a goodun and fitting it. My orig thought was a Rover V8 which would sound really nice and i know it can be done in an MK without too much fiddlin.

Just been speaking to a friend of mine who sugested a V6 would be an easier install. Still sound great but less shoehorning in. What would be ideal would be an engine that would fit on my type 9 Ford box. My friend suggested a Mazda 2.0 V6 from a 323. All alloy and modern injection! I know that Ford own Mazda so was rather hoping that the gearbox would bolt straight on to the back of it.

Anyone know if this would be possible?

Any other suggestions for V6's (not the Cologne) like the Alfa or small light V8's etc. I'm not after huge bhp just a decent sound track and something a bit different.

Andy

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/andywest1/

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
liam.mccaffrey

posted on 5/12/05 at 05:35 PM Reply With Quote
good article in ppc this month on alternative v8s ill get it too you if you want

merc audi plus a few others

Build Blog
Build Photo Album

donut

posted on 5/12/05 at 05:38 PM Reply With Quote
I have been told that PPC is worth getting this month so i'll pop into Caterham tomorrow and get it. Cheers anyway.

Andy

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
froggy

posted on 5/12/05 at 06:42 PM Reply With Quote
go for the rover if everyone goes after these newer v8,s there should be a few perfectly good motors getting pulled out to fit ls1 ,s etc .mine is on a weber carb and stock ignition and still good for 250 bhp in a 600kg car ,plenty!
jambojeef

posted on 5/12/05 at 07:03 PM Reply With Quote
Straight onto your Type 9 if its a v6 bellhousing and 200bhp straight away - with a sweet exhaust and by removing the emissions stuff should be a safe 230.

No-one can get rid of them yet they are super sweet and sound beautiful - best of all you can pick one up for under £200 and they last for ages - the one in my Scorp cos is 161,000 miles old and sounds lovely.

Bit heavy but who cares - its different!

Geoff

[Edited on 5/12/05 by jambojeef] Rescued attachment v624vpic2.jpg
Rescued attachment v624vpic2.jpg

jambojeef

posted on 5/12/05 at 07:22 PM Reply With Quote
Or......

Still cheap - need an adapter plate though and all alloy....?

My mates 3.0 12v 164 sounded gorgeous and had very quick throttle reponse - ooohhh the decisions! Rescued attachment alfa4.jpg
Rescued attachment alfa4.jpg

donut

posted on 5/12/05 at 07:51 PM Reply With Quote
Yep some good ideas, keep em coming!!

Andy

Volvorsport

posted on 5/12/05 at 09:40 PM Reply With Quote
straight 6 ? , have an alluring soundtrack , maybe a bit long for a std chassis or

i would suggest the 'late' prv which has even firing and no oiling probs , and comes with a rwd gearbox from a volvo - not my cup of tea , 170 reliable hp - the same engine produces 450 hp turboed in a venturi - and to date i dont know anyone with a prv motor

www.dbsmotorsport.co.uk
getting dirty under a bus

donut

posted on 5/12/05 at 10:02 PM Reply With Quote
What engine did they put in that weird looking 480?

Andy

Kowalski

posted on 5/12/05 at 10:20 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Volvorsport
straight 6 ? , have an alluring soundtrack , maybe a bit long for a std chassis or

i would suggest the 'late' prv which has even firing and no oiling probs , and comes with a rwd gearbox from a volvo - not my cup of tea , 170 reliable hp - the same engine produces 450 hp turboed in a venturi - and to date i dont know anyone with a prv motor

There is a 24valve variant of the PRV, it appears in Citroen XMs and Peugeot 605s but obviously you'd need a manual gearbox from the Volvo since they're both front wheel drive. 200 bhp from the 24v PRV.

The Vauxhall Omega comes with a V6 and a manual gearbox that might fit. Does the Carlton get anything interesting?

donut

posted on 5/12/05 at 10:25 PM Reply With Quote
Someone else mentioned the Carlton V6. Worth looking into i recon!

Andy

Trev Borg

posted on 5/12/05 at 10:28 PM Reply With Quote
this months PPC show the lovely V6 alfa lovenly crafted in a stunning Autotune Gemini.

Oh no ,I'm sorry, i was wrong. its hamfistedly squeeeezed into my no-where near finished Gemini

Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes.

By that time, who cares.

You're a mile away, and you've got his shoes

bigrich

posted on 5/12/05 at 10:47 PM Reply With Quote
omega uses v6 in 2.5 and 3.0 versions 200+ bhp in 3.0 with a free rwd gearbox and independent rear end some with lsd carltons where all straight 6s in 12 and 24 valve formats dont think you'll find a 3.6 twin turbo lump out of a lotus carlton though, 370bhp would be nice though i didnt mention the 4 cylinder engines in either cos they don't make the right noises. now you've got me thinking, build number 2 is beconing me thinks
donut

posted on 6/12/05 at 08:19 AM Reply With Quote
Me like this, courtisy of Bouldy

Rover V8 in an Indy.

Image deleted by owner

[Edited on 6/12/05 by donut]

Andy

scotty g

posted on 6/12/05 at 08:40 AM Reply With Quote
what engine did they put in that weird looking 480?

Donut
The 480 used the same engines as the 440 and 460.
1.7 turbo or 2 litre, don't know if they used the 1.8 as well but all 4 pots im afraid.

donut

posted on 6/12/05 at 08:55 AM Reply With Quote
Cheers Scotty. I only asked as a mate had a turbo jobby and he was well impressed with the performance and it takes alot to please him!!

Andy

RazMan

posted on 6/12/05 at 09:54 AM Reply With Quote
How about the Duratec V6? Around 220bhp, really compact and light and getting cheaper all the time as the Mondeos bite the dust

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

donut

posted on 6/12/05 at 09:58 AM Reply With Quote
Nope, decided it's gotta be V8. Probably going to go Rover V8 if i do go ahead.

Andy

Gav

posted on 6/12/05 at 01:17 PM Reply With Quote
go for the chevy LSI V8
donut

posted on 6/12/05 at 02:01 PM Reply With Quote
i would like to keep my spleen in it's natural place!!

Andy

Viper

posted on 6/12/05 at 02:23 PM Reply With Quote
My brother has small block chevy for sale with a T5 box, lots of trick bits can't remember them all, pushed a camaro to under 12second quarter.....

donut

posted on 6/12/05 at 02:29 PM Reply With Quote
They are cast iron blocks arn't they? even heavier than my Pinto anchor !

Bit much for my little car. I only intend going with a std P6 or SD1 engine. i don't really want it tuned.

Andy

froggy

posted on 6/12/05 at 02:52 PM Reply With Quote
if youve got the v8 bug ive got a pretty much complete 3.5 with efi,gearbox and prop when your ready,tried to sell it on here but no luck .you might struggle to get everything you need in one go so bear me in mindmy old motor made 215bhp when it was last fitted and the only reason i havent used it is my 4wd stuff is the oil pump on the older v8,s is right where my front prop runs. even if the old rover made 100hp id still use one for the soundtrack alone especially going through tunnels
donut

posted on 6/12/05 at 04:15 PM Reply With Quote
The bug is biting.... It will be Feb/March before i get the car SVA'd and i want a project so i can be ready for the change over at the end of next summer.

Sent U2U

Andy

donut

posted on 6/12/05 at 04:25 PM Reply With Quote
Power chart for Rover V8's

Heres an iteresting power chart for Rover V8's:

[img][/img]

Andy

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.