Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Extending the steering column
eddymcclements

posted on 4/3/06 at 05:42 PM Reply With Quote
Extending the steering column

Right then - now that the car has passed SVA I'm planning some improvements. One is to replace the column with a simpler design running in spherical bearings. I have a Grp 4 steering coupling and a length of 5/8" steel bar which has a spline on both ends (from Rally Design). I need to cut this bar and extend it by welding it into each end of a steel tube, but what tube has a 5/8" i.d.? The o.d. isn't so important, providing I can source spherical bearings to suit.

Thanks in advance for any advice,

Eddy

gustavo_brum
Junior Builder

Posts 17
Registered 31/7/05

Photo Archive Go!
Building: modified locost, chevette running gear,VW engine

posted on 4/3/06 at 07:21 PM Reply With Quote
the reason you are not allowed to weld steering columns is that it is dangerous, simply put. Ayrton Senna died because of that, and although it is very difficult to happen, in case it does, the results are usually disastrous.
I don´t think it is that hard or expensive to have a custom made splined bar, is it?

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
rusty nuts

posted on 4/3/06 at 08:06 PM Reply With Quote
Think you will find official cause of Senna's crash was down to low tyre pressures causing loss of ride hieght affecting down pressure . Steering column may have broken on impact . Thats if you can believe what you watch on tv. Suspect most Locosts have welded columns ?
eddymcclements

posted on 4/3/06 at 08:15 PM Reply With Quote
Certainly the majority use a Sierra-based column (as I do). The upper part is unmodified, and the lower part (triangular clampy thing to donut UJ) is normally extended by cutting and welding.

As far as I can see the original Ford lower column includes some welding at either end anyway. Forging the whole thing in one piece would be difficult and/or expensive.

gustavo - I'm not sure what you mean by "you're not allowed to weld steering columns". My car (and countless others) already passed SVA with a welded column. I'm merely changing the design to reduce any friction inherant in the nylon-bushed Sierra column in an attempt to maximise steering "feel".

Rusty Nuts - the official cause (after a lengthy enquiry) was low tyre pressures following an extended session behind the safety car allowing Senna's car to bottom out. Many people, needing a scapegoat, blamed the constructor.

Eddy

indykid

posted on 4/3/06 at 08:21 PM Reply With Quote
i can guarantee all mk indys at least have welded columns.

if the steering system isn't to be welded, i fail to see why all race spec quick release bosses have a slug that has to be welded onto the column.

obviously a solid bar can't fail, but neither should a good weld.

just venting my thoughts,
tom

flak monkey

posted on 4/3/06 at 08:29 PM Reply With Quote
The column itself hasnt got a huge amount of force going through it. The highest torsional force it sees is whatever you can apply to the steering wheel without moving the wheels. Ceratinly a lot less stress than the strength of the welds!

Most kits use a welded column, as infact do many production and racing cars!

Cheers,
David

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

eddymcclements

posted on 4/3/06 at 09:03 PM Reply With Quote
Back to the original question - where can I get some suitable tube? 19mm or 3/4" 18 or 16 gauge is too loose a fit around the 5/8" shaft. I could always turn up an adaptor to mate the two together, but it'd be less hassle to find the right tube.

Eddy

posted on 5/3/06 at 10:03 AM Reply With Quote
Eddy, surly 3/4" od x 16g (1/16th) is 5/8" id.

I just measured some I used to brace my engine bay and it's 15.8mm, i.e. 5/8"

I'm confused,

Paul G

eddymcclements

posted on 5/3/06 at 09:23 PM Reply With Quote
Err...sorry. My maths, particularly converting 'twixt imperial and metric, isn't what it should be. You're right about the 16SWG.

Cheers,

Eddy

JB
Senior Builder

Posts 436
Registered 20/5/04

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Built: V8 Kitten, 2 litre Lada, Space frame Minor,

posted on 6/3/06 at 07:00 PM Reply With Quote
Steering column Joining

I never weld my steering columns. I use CDS tube (size depends on length) and slide the ends into the tube. I will then drill through both and put a pin in. I then braze the whole lot together.

This avoids any risk of the weld effecting the metal. It is also mechanical (the pin) and brazed.

If your brakes fails at least you pick where you hit, if your steering goes.........

John

JoelP

posted on 6/3/06 at 07:09 PM Reply With Quote
good points there JB.

In the past i had a 19mm tube that was a very snug fit over the sierra downlink tube. The other stuff ive used was about a mm too big on the bore - odd, since i thought it was all the same stock. However, neither failed.

Im trying to make a point of including 'good practice' in my workshop approach, even when it doesnt seem necessary. Hence when i change the steering column (again...) in a few weeks, i'll give the pins a go.

eddymcclements

posted on 6/3/06 at 11:07 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the suggestion - I was planning on drilling, pinning and welding the pin (no brazing gear) so you've confirmed I'm taking a sound approach.

Cheers,

Eddy

NS Dev

posted on 7/3/06 at 01:06 PM Reply With Quote
I weld the column, but fully appreciate what John Beardmore is saying.

I use CDS, turned out for a press fit onto the splined shaft ends, then angle cut the ends of the tube to 45 degrees, press the ends in and mig around the 45 deg cut. the angle spreads the shear plane to some extent which helps.

I would also use heavier tube the 16swg. In theory this will be fine, but a thicker tube makes welding a lot easier and stronger if you don't have a TIG machine.

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.