Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Race roll cages
Philbo

posted on 18/3/03 at 10:28 PM Reply With Quote
Race roll cages

Been advised to get a full cage for racing. Assuming the cage includes the mandated minimum - CDS steel hoop and backstays - is the steel used for the rest of the cage effectively "free"? I can't find anything about it in the regs apart from the nothing-in-front-of-footwell and intrusion-bars-outside-chassis rules.

Ta

Viper

posted on 18/3/03 at 10:47 PM Reply With Quote
the whole cage has to be the proper material

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Philbo

posted on 20/3/03 at 08:04 PM Reply With Quote
Sorry, should have been more explicit in my question. I was assuming it would have to be of CDS, I was wondering about the tube radii as the radius of the major hoop behind the driver's head is BIG, if the whole cage had to be made from the saem radius tube it would be large AND heavy (possibly putting you at a major competitive disadvantage).
JohnFol

posted on 21/3/03 at 09:57 AM Reply With Quote
It is large. It is heavy. If you are going to race and are concerned about weight, cut down in other areas.

Here's a picture of mine. Note this does not show the side impact bars.

Last year a couple of guys sadly died at Cadwell after a high speed crash. Thier roll hoops were within regs. . . .

To answer your specific question fully, can you advise which formulae you are going to race in as the regs might vary? Rescued attachment P3070083.JPG
Rescued attachment P3070083.JPG

Philbo

posted on 21/3/03 at 10:49 AM Reply With Quote
Hi John, thanks for replying, sorry to hear about the Cadwell Park deaths, that's a very sobering thought. What formula were they in?

Anyway the series I was targeting was the 750MC Locost series (ie standard 1300 xflow).

I'd rather be safe than competitive so I was always going to go for a full cage (even though the "book" pics all show racers with mostly just hoops and stays).

I'm interested in your comment about weight saving though - minimum weight is 615kg, I'm 90 in race gear so that means a target weight of 525kg for my car, with liquids. I'm nowhere near finishing my car (it looks a bit like yours without the cage) but even with a rolling chassis and engine and gearbox in place it's getting a bit on the lardy side. As most of the bulk of the car (chassis materials and drivetrain) are mandated, where are the options for weight saving? I've already gone for aluminium bonnet and scuttle with usual minimal racer instrumentation etc, but I assumed that these were "standard" choices for a racer.

[Edited on 21/3/03 by Philbo]

JohnFol

posted on 21/3/03 at 12:11 PM Reply With Quote
I was in the same position as you late last year. Do I need to make weight savings or do I get the biggest cage I can .. Couldn't get a definitive as all builds are different.

anyway for the 750 locost formula you must have a full cage (section 5.3 of the regs). It also refers to the MSA year book, which I don't have acopy of, but from memory it shows the mounting points, bracing and positioning of the cage.

Where in the country are you? Are you going to the track to view?

Philbo

posted on 21/3/03 at 02:45 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for that John, looks like I need to get hold of the MSA Year Book (haven't yet gone through that process as I've only just started the build). The regs that I have downloaded weren't explicit enough to me about the cage requirement, but on re-reading them it does seem to be implicit.

I'm based in Surrey (actually I live on the top of Box Hill and could actually *walk* to the Locost meet that happens there occasionally, so now that I am aware of it I will certainly be in attendance at those!) Also I plan to go to Brands on the 12th and see the Locosts up close and in action, and I am also hoping to spot the new Sport 1000's racing on the same day because if the Locost build goes well I really, really fancy one of those (see http://www.adr-engineering.co.uk/index.htm)

JohnFol

posted on 21/3/03 at 03:39 PM Reply With Quote
Have a look at this thread. There are a few others in your position.

http://forum.LocostBuilders.co.uk/xmb/viewthread.php?tid=1636

I will be doing Brands Hatch on 12th. Will try and drum up support for a meet / beer.

Afro

posted on 3/6/03 at 05:56 PM Reply With Quote
Roll cage

"It is large. It is heavy. If you are going to race and are concerned about weight, cut down in other areas."

I'm embarking on a locost project and ideally would like to race t although I'll prob put it on the road first.

Just wondering, where your rollcage meets up with the base of the chassis and the sheeting covering the underside, have you welded in plates in the corner of the chassis to accept the cage or is this welded to the thin sheeting (surely not)?

Reason I ask is that from a 'fitting the cage later' point of view, if I need a plate there it would be easier to fit during initial construction rather than cutting and grinding the sheet away in order to place one..

[Edited on 3/6/03 by Afro]

Caged

posted on 30/7/03 at 09:40 AM Reply With Quote
Roll Cages

Caged, the new name in high quality roll cages provide a roll cage kit specifically for the locost. The light weight fully homologated Caged kit is available through :-

Brian Mitcham
Tel: 01359 270291

He has these in stock.

Alternatively, for more information call Caged on 01373 825855

andyps

posted on 1/8/03 at 10:59 PM Reply With Quote
Although not planning to race, I would like to include a proper roll bar at the rear as shown in the racing section of the book (the single hoop with cross bar and rear stays down to the bottom rear corners of the chassis).

Is there a supplier for these?

Andy

An expert is someone who knows more and more about less and less

steve26

posted on 1/8/03 at 11:05 PM Reply With Quote
Andy, you have U2U

dalefaulkner

posted on 29/9/03 at 02:19 PM Reply With Quote
Roll cage

I have bought one of Brian Mitchams cages, although it comes in kit form (so you get the best fit for you) it is now mostly tacked together awaiting final welding, I must say that it seams to be well designed and thought out, it also looks good.

homologated Caged kit is available through :-

'Brian Mitcham
Tel: 01359 270291

He had these in stock.

Alternatively, for more information call Caged on 01373 825855'

[Edited on 29/9/03 by dalefaulkner]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.