Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Cycle wing stand problem
Alez

posted on 5/4/06 at 09:05 AM Reply With Quote
Cycle wing stand problem

Hi All!

I've had a problem with my left front wheel cycle wing. The stand broke during a cruise and the wing flew towards the passenger but hit nothing in the end. I'm looking to replace these stands with something better, bolted instead of welded. My idea is to buy new stands and wings and have the bits delivered to Spain. In order to better explain the supplier of these bits what I need, it would be great if could help a bit with vocabulary (English name for a few things) and explain what I have there a bit.

I've attached 3 pics:
-The first one shows the way these custom stands are attached to the Sierra thing.
-The second one shows a general assembly.
-In the last one, I've marked the areas I would need help with (explanation below).

-I think that What I've marked in blue is original Sierra, am I right? I don't know the name for all that, I better not call it "thing" or I'll induce confusion (I'll need the new stands to be compatible with this.)

-What I 've marked in yellow is what I've been calling "stand". How do you call it? Cycle wing stand, cycle wing support?

-I've put one arrow pointing towards the breaking point of this stand.

-I've put another arrow pointing to the Sierra (supposedly) bit where the stand is welded to (as seen in the first picture), in case this particular bit has a specific name I'd like very much to know it.

Lastly, is what I'm looking for common? Bolting instead of welding? I think I've seen it before but I'm not too sure. Is my Sierra thing common? Who can I contact for bits? As Stuart Taylor welds instead of bolting, I was thinking Mac #1, MK Sportscars.. ideas?

Thank you very much.

Alez

posted on 5/4/06 at 09:07 AM Reply With Quote
Rescued attachment left wheel 1.jpg
Rescued attachment left wheel 1.jpg

Alez

posted on 5/4/06 at 09:08 AM Reply With Quote
Rescued attachment left wheel 2.jpg
Rescued attachment left wheel 2.jpg

Alez

posted on 5/4/06 at 09:09 AM Reply With Quote
Rescued attachment left wheel 2 drawings.JPG
Rescued attachment left wheel 2 drawings.JPG

Alez

posted on 5/4/06 at 02:47 PM Reply With Quote
Hey!

No one speaks English in this forums!!
David Jenkins

posted on 5/4/06 at 02:58 PM Reply With Quote
Alex,

We were all shocked by the huge size of your pictures!

The bit in blue = front upright
The yellow bit = most people call them 'brackets'

Yours looks like a classic stress fracture - there is a point where the two parts are welded together that acts as a 'stress raiser'. All the vibrations make the thinner arm flex around that point, leading to a tiny crack that gets bigger and bigger until it breaks.

Other people with Sierra uprights have made better designs with a smooth transition between the pieces - maybe someone will point you in the right direction. Anyone?

David

Hellfire

posted on 5/4/06 at 03:03 PM Reply With Quote
The one's MK make are better as they do not concentrate heating in one area only and do not rely on only the weld.

Hopefully this webpage will show you more... we also annealled the metal prior to bending it reducing the chance of stress fractures...

CLICKETY CLICK

DarrenW

posted on 5/4/06 at 03:35 PM Reply With Quote
As Hellfire says take a look at the std MK or Mac#1 brackets. You may find these are a direct replacement and i would guess would be in stock.
I seem to remember MNR did some development on theirs as well.

Alez

posted on 6/4/06 at 08:45 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
We were all shocked by the huge size of your pictures!

Oops! I thought I'd provide as much detail as possible!

Thanks a lot for the tips and terms, actually I was thinking either Mac #1 or MK for the bits!!

BTW Mark of Mac #1 is specially helpful for those abroad, as he always answers email and is happy to ship abroad

How do Mac #1 and MK attach these brackets to the Sierra uprights? (Yeah baby, I've learnt "bracket" an "upright"! ) Do they weld them (like my original ST, as shown in the first picture) or bolt them? I think I've seen bolted brackets in the past but can't remember the car, maybe a friend's Caterham?

Thank you very much!

Alez

posted on 6/4/06 at 08:46 AM Reply With Quote
Hellfire, congratulations for both car and website, they're both awesome. Plastic coated brackets, wow.

[Edited on 6/4/06 by Alez]

tks

posted on 6/4/06 at 09:09 AM Reply With Quote
mhhh

This will mean that you will need to replace both sides (nothing read about it).

Also for the rest maybe its an idea to attach them with a small chain or cable?

Think it should really hurt cathing the cycle wing with your head when going 70Mph..

on the other end if it don´t brakes you don´t have to attach it.

do they often break??

Tks

The above comments are always meant to be from the above persons perspective.

Alez

posted on 7/4/06 at 08:32 AM Reply With Quote
From Mark of Mac #1..

Mark's reply to an email I sent him yesterday:

quote:
[...]Unfortunately our uprights and wings only fit the 15" wheels and tyres, however we are just having a 13" mould made, but this is a slow process and it'll be another month before its ready. the brackets will be made to fit the wings and they are the bolt on type.

I have used the 15" wings and brackets on our new Type 9r Worx with 13" wheels and 185 tyres, but they just don't fit as I would like them, which is why we're having the new moulds done[...]

He is working on bolt-on brackes for 13", so I may just wait for them to be ready

EDIT -- New email from Mark

quote:
I'll see if I can get things moving a bit quicker and I'll drop you an e-mail when we have progress.

Needless to say I'm very impressed with Mac #1 quality of service. I'll definitely wait for their wings and brackets

Cheers,

Alex

[Edited on 7/4/06 by Alez]

Peteff

posted on 7/4/06 at 09:48 AM Reply With Quote
That looks like they are welded to the top adaptor. You'll have to cut the old ones off and get some that fit to the clamp bolt.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

Alez

posted on 7/4/06 at 01:11 PM Reply With Quote
I think I can spare some time (in the following month) to go to the scrapper for an unmodified pair of top adaptors and so have them ready for when Mark has something for me

Cheers,

Alex

DarrenW

posted on 7/4/06 at 02:03 PM Reply With Quote
The Mac#1 brackets are bolt on. Bottom bit bolts where the bottom ball joint fastens on. Top bit with the bolt that secures the mushroom adaptor. very nicely made. No problems with mine.

The version i got had a short stub onto which i had to bolt the top strap in place. Later versions have a longer strap which is simply bent over to desired position. Ive never heard of either type snapping in the way that others sometimes do.

13" wings sound like the way to go. Nice idea. I can vouch for the top service.

Alez

posted on 18/4/06 at 12:35 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers, Darren
Peteff

posted on 18/4/06 at 01:05 PM Reply With Quote
to go to the scrapper for an unmodified pair of top adaptors

I don't think you'll find any in the scrapyard Alex, they are specially made to adapt Sierra front uprights from strut to wishbone. Get the grinder round them and cut the weld.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.