Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Almost ready!
millenniumtree

posted on 20/6/06 at 04:37 PM Reply With Quote
Almost ready!

The budget mistress OKed up to $200/month for my build! Hooray for the new job!

So, after several months of saving, I'll be able to buy some steel!!

My goal is a +442 Mcsorley with an imported 20v 4A-GE, IRS and gearbox from an old supra.

I'll build my chassis, import a front clip from Japan for the engine, accessories, and all the electrics, then buy an old supra rear end. Of course I'll need other bits like the front uprights (may be able to use the japanese front clip uprights?)

Since the 20v comes 165 hp stock, I didn't want to use the t50 transmission, and I've always wanted an independent rear. The GT-S is so rare and expensive here (they go for 3000+ stateside) that I'd much rather use bits I can find in any junkyard. Obviously the engine is the exception, as the 20v was NEVER imported to the US. If I need to replace the engine though, I've got bigger problems than where to find another one.

I know of 3 or 4 supra rears I can get my hands on from the junkyard tomorrow if necessary - they're more common than chips.

Yes, I've been informed that the supra rears and uprights are rather heavy, but I won't be in this as much for track racing, as for a fun car that's reliable and turns heads. If I want to put a turbo on it in the future, I'd also like the rear to handle it with little or no modifications. And if I do get good at driving in circles, I might build another that's set up specifically for that.

Thoughts? Suggestions? Encouragement?

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Humbug

posted on 20/6/06 at 05:08 PM Reply With Quote
So, after 10 years you could have a $24k car
millenniumtree

posted on 20/6/06 at 06:35 PM Reply With Quote
Yep! I plan on doing it over about 4-5 years anyway, so I've got plenty of time to work the budget.
I'm just glad to finally have the ABILITY to start.
My first purchase will be a welder and some scrap steel.
If I can't figure out how to weld properly by the time I've got 1000 dollars saved, I'll just buy
a chassis - in 5 months though, I should at LEAST be able to run a clean bead.

I'm getting very excited - can't wait to get some bits in the garage!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
violentblue

posted on 20/6/06 at 07:24 PM Reply With Quote
spend the extra cash and get a Gas MIG.
welds much cleaner

a few pics of my other projects

the JoKeR

posted on 20/6/06 at 10:04 PM Reply With Quote
Woo Hoo, another Cheesehead! Amen to what violentblue said, make sure the welder you buy can work with gas.

Keep us updated on the progress on the US board too, please!

Jeff
http://www.midwestwelding.com
http://www.locostusa.com/forums/

millenniumtree

posted on 21/6/06 at 02:55 AM Reply With Quote
I don't frequent the US board (mainly because I wasn't actually _building_ anything before) - And I like these blokes so much.

Now that I'll soon have something to put together, I might start asking questions stateside.

You're referring to the yahoo group right? (or is there another US group I'm unaware of?)

(edit)Sorry - hadn't spotted your sig - got it now.

[Edited on 21/6/06 by millenniumtree]

the JoKeR

posted on 21/6/06 at 03:21 AM Reply With Quote
Yeah, it's a top shelf group here, other than the problem they have saying "aluminum"

I don't frequent the Yahoo group much - I just don't like the format, which is unfortunate due to the wealth of information there.

It's probably a longer drive than needed, but if you're looking for a steel supplier who doesn't mind dealing with low volume customers, I really like working with Larry at Aaronin Steel in Waukesha (about 2 miles north of the American TV on what used to be Hwy 164). If you go there, tell him the guy who was building the Hummers send you. Maybe I'll get a referral discount! I think I paid about $1.00/foot of the 16 guage 1x1 tube. I assume you head in to Milwaukee once in a while, so maybe this isn't as out of the way as I think it is!

[Edited on 6/21/2006 by the JoKeR]

Jeff

millenniumtree

posted on 22/6/06 at 01:03 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks, I'll swing by there when I get ready to weld.
the JoKeR

posted on 22/6/06 at 10:29 PM Reply With Quote
Call a few days before you go and let him know exactly what you'll need, if possible. The 1x1 16 is a stock item. The 3/4 square tube I ended up with a slightly thicker tube as it was all he had at the time. He seems very willing to hold items and special order as well - typically a 3 day lead for stuff he doesn't have on-hand.

Jeff

TheGecko

posted on 22/6/06 at 10:55 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by the JoKeR
Yeah, it's a top shelf group here, other than the problem they have saying "aluminum"
Don't worry JoKeR, I know you put a on that but the aluminium/aluminum issue is an interesting one. Pretty much all of the English-speaking world with the exception of the USA and Canada uses -ium. Most other languages also use that ending. The Wikipedia article here suggests that it may have been a simple spelling error on a pamphlet that caused the -um version to become common in the US.

Still, if that's the biggest issue to disagree about, then we should all be happy.

Dominic
P.S. Woo-hoo - Australia through to the next round of the World Cup

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.