Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: which chassis?
merkurman

posted on 30/4/03 at 01:52 AM Reply With Quote
which chassis?

ok I am getting nearer the point of starting something soon..

going to use the 2.3L turbo engine I have since I think the inline six will be far too long.

so I will have all the bits from my merkur to use on it. I was looking at putting a rather large bulge on the bonnet to allow for the pulley and valve cover. now with those little details aside what chassis should I use? book? avon tiger? mcsorley? alexd.dwg? newsierra.dwg? my own design? which one of these has the best features to use? my tranny will be a 4 spd that the T9 is based off of (rocket?) the turbo will be mounted on a custom header (have the flanges to make this) and I will need a reworked intake to make it all fit under the bonnet. could I use a pinto steering rack? they are available here in custom lengths very easily and in manual or power.

basicly I am lookign for a good place to start from. I have ACAD and Pro-e so drawing up a chassis won't be a big deal (got all summer ot sort this out)

nick

1962 fairlane with a 200" six and T5 5spd, shaved trim air ride, t3/t4 turbo and soon to be EFI
-- looking to put a offy tripower intake on soon

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
LoCostLancs

posted on 30/4/03 at 07:03 PM Reply With Quote
Its up to you actually i bought mine, a Stuart Taylor MS chassis non IRS.

First think do you want an IRS chassis or not. I think most people here have built there own. One word of advice, stay away from the lolocost chassis's!

You can use a Pinto steering rack without problems.

GoodLuck.

speedthing

posted on 30/4/03 at 08:23 PM Reply With Quote
speedthing

mk do a very good chassis an irs one
stephen_gusterson

posted on 30/4/03 at 08:47 PM Reply With Quote
prob is merc is in the usa so mk or a uk kit may not be an option.

lots of good things seem to be said about the mcsorley designs and lots of bad things about the book design.

building an irs adds a lot of complication when mounting a beam axle is the easiest and even a 'crude' suspension like that is what the handling legend of the locost is based on.

think hard if you want to run irs and dont have specific plans - it takes time....

atb

steve

merkurman

posted on 30/4/03 at 09:23 PM Reply With Quote
well I have a sierra for parts anyway (oil pump went out and took the bearings out) so it is basicly free. as far as getting a solid alxe the problem is finding one short enough or spending the money to have one made/shortened. about the smallest axles around here are out of a pinto and hard to find. I have my own shop to work on this in with mig oxy/act grinders air compressor and such and I would rather build my own since I can't get a chassis cheap in the US let alone one for my donor. I have plenty of time to work on it and this isn't the first time I have done someting like this so the IRS problems shouldn't be too bad for me (worked as a production welder for a summer so I know how to make jigs and such)

also could I goto a thinner tube? like a 18ga? if I was to use aluminum do I stick with 16ga or go thicker?

nick

[Edited on 30/4/03 by merkurman]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
chrisg

posted on 30/4/03 at 09:34 PM Reply With Quote
MK export worldwide.

Cheers

Chris

Note to all: I really don't know when to leave well alone. I tried to get clever with the mods, then when they gave me a lifeline to see the error of my ways, I tried to incite more trouble via u2u. So now I'm banned, never to return again. They should have done it years ago!

stephen_gusterson

posted on 30/4/03 at 09:57 PM Reply With Quote
im not a welder, but I have seen discussions that using alu isnt a great idea (cant remember why - cracking welds?) and its not a good idea to go down a guage on the tubes.

Basically, the locost chassis is really minimal. I dont thing there is a single tube in the main that isnt there for a reason. (apart from the tunnel). There isnt a lot of redundancy.

Check cymtricks posts. He details mods to make the chassis better - one of which is to make the tunnel out of hoops and not square section.

You can use alu for the floor and back bulkhead, but to be safe, I would use 1.6mm 16 guage steel tube for the main frame.

Did I mention before that someone on TOL is also using the 2.3 merkur?

minicountryman1961 is the name

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/locost

atb

steve

[Edited on 30/4/03 by stephen_gusterson]

merkurman

posted on 30/4/03 at 11:18 PM Reply With Quote
I know mk exports but all my emails to them are un answered (left handed, pink slip for registration, rack shortening clearance for the 2.3L) that and I am in school still so for me I could prob save quiet a bit on the chassis. even if I get one shipped in and deal witht eh extra shipping adn tarrifs I would still have to mod it for what I have.

take for example the rack...they do it on exchange so I would have to send my rack over seas to get shortened and then back over. same gors for the spindles I think. also I don't think I can get the track ends that you can get. I was looking into using rod ends for the upper and lower ball joint if there is nothing in the states that will fit.

nick

1962 fairlane with a 200" six and T5 5spd, shaved trim air ride, t3/t4 turbo and soon to be EFI
-- looking to put a offy tripower intake on soon

speedthing

posted on 1/5/03 at 09:02 PM Reply With Quote
it's best to ring mk about 10am uk time

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.