Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: 4AGE help needed
eddymcclements

posted on 22/7/06 at 02:59 PM Reply With Quote
4AGE help needed

Here's the problem:- I set off for work last Friday with the car running perfectly, got about 200 yds and it dropped onto 1 or 2 cylinders. I limped back home and have tried the following:-

Swapped ECU
Swapped coil
Swapped ignition amplifier
Checked plugs - no 4 was dry, nos 1, 2 & 3 were wet to a greater or lesser extent
Turned over the engine with no 1 plug out and resting on head - fat blue spark.
Cleaned plugs and dried them off with a blowlamp

So, it's getting fuel (I can hear the fuel pump running, the plugs are wet, I can smell unburnt fuel coming out of the exhaust). There's definitely a spark as far as I can tell.

It's still running the original (off the donor) dizzy cap and rotor arm and I can't get spares on a Saturday so they've not been swapped. Can either of these fail in such a sudden manner? Both look OK in that they're not cracked or falling apart, but I don't know what else to check for.

So, what's the problem? I don't have the facilities for a compression test and it seems odd that the failure was so instantaneous, so for the time being I'm discounting the possibility of head gasket / rings / piston failure (rightly or wrongly).

Anyone got any ideas?

Ta,

Eddy

[Edited on 22-7-2006 by eddymcclements]

DIY Si

posted on 22/7/06 at 03:12 PM Reply With Quote
Are all 4 plugs sparking or have you just checked number 1?
Peteff

posted on 22/7/06 at 03:44 PM Reply With Quote
Have you got a fuel filter? What fuel system are you using?

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

eddymcclements

posted on 22/7/06 at 09:18 PM Reply With Quote
DIY Si - I know number 4 is OK because a. the plug is dry and b. the exhaust header gets hot. I was time-limited on my investigations, so I just checked one of the wet plugs to see if it was sparking at all, and it was.

Peteff - I have a nylon gauze pre-filter, Bosch injection pump, EFI post-pump filter, solid lines to the injector rail, stock Toyota FPR with vacuum hose and solid lines leading back to the tank. I don't suspect the fuel system at the moment because the plugs are getting wet, there unburnt fuel at the exhaust and I can hear the fuel pump running.

To be honest I think the most likely cause is a faulty EFI sensor, a fractured wire, a problem with the trigger in the dizzy or the cap or the rotor arm. Or something worse. When the motor dropped from running cleanly to running badly I'd only gone a short distance and had probably only just shifted into 3rd.

Cheers,

Eddy

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.