Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: calling formual27 owners - lowering my rear end?
02GF74

posted on 7/9/06 at 08:14 AM Reply With Quote
calling formual27 owners - lowering my rear end?

f27 chassis, mk2 english axle, triumph dolomite struts with coil over shocks*.

* that's what the build manula says, who nows what they really are

I need to lower my back end so that the links sit parallel - at the mo' they are sloping downwards thus knocking on the chassis (SVA fail).

What are my options?

Simplest would be to fit a shorter spring but I doubt that there is much of a market for dolomite tuning parts and I don't think that there will be different variants of this spring, but I may be wrong on that.

Cutting the spring down is not a safe option?

I could raise the top seat but that involves hacking the chassis & rewelding - not keen on that.

Can I fit different structs/springs/shocks without too many mods (i.e. read welding)? If so, what?

I have seen in a catalogue weld-on adjustable sping seats but again don't thinik it will be right size.

Finally cut and reweld the lower spring seat, maybe design some adjument mechanism?

(I am assuming the struts can be taken apart to remove the spring).

Ideas and options please.

----------------------------
another option I have just found on the web in US - coil clamps - basically clamp two adjacent coils together, hmmm....

[Edited on 7/9/06 by 02GF74]

Peteff

posted on 7/9/06 at 09:23 AM Reply With Quote
What size are the bolt eyes? You can buy 1.9" dampers to replace them in a different length, I'm not familiar with the F27 but try Dampertech or similar with your details and what you want to achieve, they are pretty helpful.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

westf27

posted on 7/9/06 at 10:48 AM Reply With Quote
I can probably help as i have a live axled 27.Any chance of a pic cos i cant see how your links can hit the chassis rail

gregf27

posted on 7/9/06 at 11:27 AM Reply With Quote
as stated, post a few pics, and I will have a look in my F27 build manuals, and see if I can suggest anything,
Mine is a live axle one too,
atb
Greg

02GF74

posted on 7/9/06 at 12:56 PM Reply With Quote
best pic I have of the top is this, shows the springs; none of the lower part, as yet.

seat belt mounts
seat belt mounts

TangoMan

posted on 7/9/06 at 08:32 PM Reply With Quote
My bUild manual states AVO's so contact them and they should be able to help. Mine certainly was supplied with AVo's.

Having just changed springs, the AVO'S need 11" springs (FREE LENGTH).

An easy option for you would be to remove the springs and fit shorter ones.

Summer's here!!!!

02GF74

posted on 8/9/06 at 09:36 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TangoMan
My bUild manual states AVO's so contact them and they should be able to help. Mine certainly was supplied with AVo's.

Having just changed springs, the AVO'S need 11" springs (FREE LENGTH).

An easy option for you would be to remove the springs and fit shorter ones.

di you have any more info. about the AVOs? part number? also maybe a piccy? plus spring diameter and rate?

Agreed the easy option would be to fit shorter springs providing thedy are avalialbe in that diameter/length and rate; being triumph dolomite I'd be surprised if there is going to be nuch of a choice.

TangoMan

posted on 10/9/06 at 09:04 PM Reply With Quote
Sorry, no info on the AVO's. I will get a picture of them when I can next get the car lifted. I will try to get one with it on the ground to see if it is clear.
My springs at 2.25inch diameter and 10inch free length but I have the collars adjsuted fully up so 11 inch would be preferred..

Summer's here!!!!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.