Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Diff securing bolts - pictures
mad dad

posted on 8/10/06 at 08:46 PM Reply With Quote
Diff securing bolts - pictures

Thought this might help pictures show locations of bolts, not sure of age of nylocs as i got the car built which was approx 2 years ago.... Rescued attachment P1010002.JPG
Rescued attachment P1010002.JPG

mad dad

posted on 8/10/06 at 08:49 PM Reply With Quote
sorry for confusion car was finished 2 years ago i got it about 4 weeks ago!!!........been a long day

dilley

posted on 8/10/06 at 08:50 PM Reply With Quote
Are the bolt heads 17mm? or 19mm?
mad dad

posted on 8/10/06 at 08:52 PM Reply With Quote
diff bolt picture

one more Rescued attachment P1010002.JPG
Rescued attachment P1010002.JPG

RichardK

posted on 8/10/06 at 08:54 PM Reply With Quote
First thing I would try are brand new nylocs with a bit of thread lock on them and ensure they are torqued up.

Regards

Rich

Looking at the picture below, it looks like threaded rod, next time at the scrappers get yourself the proper diff bolts and then as above, hope the rod isn't stretching inside the diff casing

[Edited on 8/10/06 by RichardK]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
mad dad

posted on 8/10/06 at 08:55 PM Reply With Quote
diff bolts

view from different angle, had a problem with posting pictures - sorry please feel free to edit as necessary!!! Rescued attachment P1010001.JPG
Rescued attachment P1010001.JPG

mad dad

posted on 8/10/06 at 09:04 PM Reply With Quote
17mm for the nut...

mookaloid

posted on 8/10/06 at 09:57 PM Reply With Quote
That's threaded rod.

See my previous post here

Cheers

Mark

Edit: the proper bolts are only a few quid from Ford by the way

[Edited on 8/10/06 by mookaloid]

DarrenW

posted on 9/10/06 at 09:12 AM Reply With Quote
How can you tell they are threaded rod from the Pic Mark? I can see a cap head on one end.

Dont recall seeing normal cap head bolts that long.

ive used threaded bar, 3,000 miles so far and no probs, i do understand your concerns though and will keep checking them.

James

posted on 9/10/06 at 10:24 AM Reply With Quote
Well I can't see a caphead but I don't how you know it's threaded rod either!

And Mad Dad has already said they're allen heads which I guess if they're 12.9 grade explains the rust.

Mad Dad,
if it's bolts/cap heads I'd leave them and fit new nuts with Loctite. I have a similar design and not had a problem with bolts there at 1200 miles.

If it's threaded bar then ditch it quick and fit washers/bolts and new nuts!
It's just unsafe if it's not high tensile (ie. grade 8.8 or above) and could be stretching I suppose.

HTH,
James

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

NS Dev

posted on 9/10/06 at 10:50 AM Reply With Quote
just thought, does he mean it is secured using 4 seperate capheads, with the cap end inside the recesses in the ally casting?

I have used seperate bolts on mine too rather than long ones, but then mine is an ST installation which is totally different and uses the rear mount and half of the front one.

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

mackei23b

posted on 9/10/06 at 10:51 AM Reply With Quote
yip, looks like threaded bar as the pics are from both sides of the diff, I think!

Threaded Bar is OK, as long as it's high tensile, as stated before 8.8.

Cheers

Ian

rusty nuts

posted on 9/10/06 at 04:52 PM Reply With Quote
If the nut takes a 17mm spanner then the threaded rod is 10mm . Pretty sure they should be at least 12mm bolt possibly bigger?
mad dad

posted on 10/10/06 at 12:18 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers everyone definitely not threaded bar as i can hold each one by putting an allen key in by the diff housing so there are defo 4 seperate bolts. I will get some new nylocs and loctite at weekend and see how it goes but thanks for all the feedback......will get a piccie of the type of bolt at the weekend for those who might be interested!!!!!

t.j.

posted on 10/10/06 at 07:29 PM Reply With Quote
I thought the hole in the diff is 12 mm not 10 mm.

So why put in a M10 bolt when a bolt M12 with nice non-treaded part fits exactly???

Play in the mounting can't be nice, even when your tightning it very strong.

mad dad

posted on 10/10/06 at 08:36 PM Reply With Quote
my mistake they are 19mm nuts not 17mm as i put in earlier reply!!! will take em out at the weekend and replace with new bolts and nylocs.......

mad dad

posted on 10/10/06 at 08:38 PM Reply With Quote
my mistake they are 19mm nuts not 17mm as i put in earlier reply!!! will take em out at the weekend and replace with new bolts and nylocs.......

NS Dev

posted on 10/10/06 at 10:11 PM Reply With Quote
I think your problem will be that the heads of the caphead bolts that you have used are slowly digging into the alloy casting of the diff casing. The back of the casting that they are pulled up against is not quite flat, and as they settle in they will squeeze the ally till it is flat.

once they have done this they should stay tight.

Most on here use two very long bolts all the way through the diff casing and brackets, which then cant sink into the ally.

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

jollygreengiant

posted on 13/10/06 at 04:52 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by NS Dev
I think your problem will be that the heads of the caphead bolts that you have used are slowly digging into the alloy casting of the diff casing. The back of the casting that they are pulled up against is not quite flat, and as they settle in they will squeeze the ally till it is flat.

once they have done this they should stay tight.

Most on here use two very long bolts all the way through the diff casing and brackets, which then cant sink into the ally.

Yep I'd agree with these comments exactly.

Beware of the Goldfish in the tulip mines. The ONLY defence against them is smoking peanut butter sandwiches.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.