Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: chassis bracing
caber

posted on 29/10/06 at 10:51 PM Reply With Quote
chassis bracing

I am having problems locating the brace running from the front offside of the engine bay to the scuttle, on my Pinto build there is a big exhaust manifold, steering linkage etc. in the way. I suspect I will have problems on the nearside as well due to carbs and dizzy. Anyone found other ways to brace this area?

TIA

Caber

TheGecko

posted on 29/10/06 at 10:55 PM Reply With Quote
One approach I've seen used a few times is a Y-shaped brace instead of a single tube. Like this:
Engine bay of Mike Laws Locost showing modified 'R' tube
Engine bay of Mike Laws Locost showing modified 'R' tube

Hope this helps,

Dominic

Peteff

posted on 29/10/06 at 11:28 PM Reply With Quote
Mine went on the nearside with no problem, it should be lower than your carb and nowhere near the distributor.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

JackNco

posted on 30/10/06 at 03:04 AM Reply With Quote
wow i bet that exhaust cover got added after SVA, no offense but ide feel guilty driving round with that on in case i did hit some one.... bye bye calf muscle.

John

Some people are worried about the difference between right and wrong. I'm worried about the difference between wrong and fun.
O'Rourke, P.J. (1989), Holidays in hell. London (Picador)

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
TheGecko

posted on 30/10/06 at 05:54 AM Reply With Quote
That pic is of an Australian car so no issues with SVA although of course we have our own set of legislative hoops to jump through

D

James

posted on 30/10/06 at 05:47 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by caber
I am having problems locating the brace running from the front offside of the engine bay to the scuttle, on my Pinto build there is a big exhaust manifold, steering linkage etc. in the way. I suspect I will have problems on the nearside as well due to carbs and dizzy. Anyone found other ways to brace this area?

TIA

Caber

For a start, you can get round these by changing the alternator and/or routing the steering differently with an extra uj. Also, using a side (bonnet) exit exhaust.

Alternatively you could do what Liam has done with his excellent 'spider' bracing over the top of the engine bay.... see his recent posts over this. Judging by his FEA results it's an excellent way to build the chassis.

Hope that helps,
James

[Edited on 30/10/06 by James]

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

andrew.carwithen

posted on 30/10/06 at 07:19 PM Reply With Quote
As James says, you can dogleg the lower steering column with an extra uj and spherical bearing to give extra clearance for alternator.
Pic shows Tiger supplied column in situ in my Avon.(bottom of pic) Rescued attachment lower frame welded in situ..jpg
Rescued attachment lower frame welded in situ..jpg

whittlebeast

posted on 1/11/06 at 01:57 AM Reply With Quote
Think triangles. Things at 90 deg have almost no effect and are realy not worth the weight.

AW

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.