Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Blade running rough...
paublo999

posted on 13/11/06 at 02:19 PM Reply With Quote
Blade running rough...

Hi all,

I have an early pre 96 carb'd fireblade powered Westy which is running rough (like a splutter?) at a specific point in the rev range - 5800rpm to 6000, but pulls normally below and above this very specific range.

It only appears to be rough when under load and revs freely when stationary.

I have replaced the plugs, check the leads etc. I am looking for the next stage of diagnostics

1. It has been suggested to get a replacement coil pack or two?

2. I have also been told that my Carb diapragms are worn, but are not torn which the Haynes says is ok..

All suggestions much appreciated, learning fast but not quite fast enough

I really wish I had found this place earlier

Thanks all.
Paul.

Coose

posted on 13/11/06 at 03:22 PM Reply With Quote
Where are you Paul? There may be someone near by to you who could drop in and have a look. It's always easier than making suggestions on here!

Spin 'er off Well...

paublo999

posted on 13/11/06 at 05:09 PM Reply With Quote
I'm up in Sunny Scotland. South Lanarkshire, junction 8 of the M74 - South East of Glasgow.

Tracked down a local mechanic who charged me £40 for the hour and didnt have any good ideas... He was the one that suggested changing the diaphragms... as they looked a bit "baggy"

MAB

posted on 13/11/06 at 05:20 PM Reply With Quote
Paul,

Before you fork out any more cash,

See

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=47699

Definately worth blocking up the 2 holes as described in the above thread especially if it is only having problems under load. - I've had the same thing before on 2 cars and this has worked each time.

Regards, Mark.

scotlad
Contributor

Posts 781
Registered 30/9/03
Location Edinburgh

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Built MK Indy Blade, RH 2b Zetec, rebuilding locos

posted on 13/11/06 at 06:59 PM Reply With Quote
Is it an 893 or a 919? i can lend you the carbs or coil packs off my spare 893 if it will help you with your diagnostics.
paublo999

posted on 13/11/06 at 07:09 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks guys.

We blocked up a vent that I believe was a vacumn of some sort, probably connected to the fuel tank?, that was causing 1 and 4 to draw in less air, but this didn't make much difference to the running once blocked.

I will have a good look at the other thread and report back.

I think the garage mentioned in Cambuslang was the one I visited, my car wont fit on the rollers and they suggested changing the diaphragms... Nothing about the other intakes on each of the carbs , which I will try out..

It will have to wait til the weekend as I broke the clutch cable while at knockhill..

Cheers all... thanks for the help again!

mad-butcher

posted on 13/11/06 at 07:51 PM Reply With Quote
What type air filter
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
ChrisGamlin

posted on 13/11/06 at 08:31 PM Reply With Quote
If the hole you blocked up was on the head under no.2 cylinder, then its a vacuum feed for a fuel shut-off tap so when the engine isnt running, the fuel is shut off from the carbs.

That wouldnt make 1 & 4 draw in less air though, but it would make no.2 draw in more air so if your carbs have been adjusted to compensate for that being open, then that could be an issue.

paublo999

posted on 14/11/06 at 08:34 AM Reply With Quote
Hi guys, thanks for the responses...

the air filter is a standard foam dome type - no airbox...

The car used to run fine, even before the vacuum feed was blocked, but it certainly evened out the air intake...

The car needed the diff to be reconditioned, so it was layed up for a 6 weeks or so, before that it used to run freely through the rev range....

I always believed the car runs too rich, with lots of popping on overrun etc, but I have never heard another blade to compare it, but with a hot exhaust and carbs I cant imagine that popping and banging isnt to be expected?

Thanks for the prompts, I will get some time this weekend...

paublo999

posted on 26/11/06 at 12:46 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Guys,

Finally got back in to the garage... After much mucking around with a broken clutch cable, I got round to looking at the carbs...

I remove one of the carb tops caps? and checked the breathing holes mentioned in the other thread. The second/middle hole was already blocked, so I am a bit back to square one, so reckon I will make arrangements - weather permitting take it to one the garages for a good going over...

I will post back and let you all know how I get on... just need to wait a few months for the snow to come and go...

Thanks again.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.