Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Sump baffles
Richard Jenkins

posted on 10/6/03 at 12:07 PM Reply With Quote
Sump baffles

Hi all,

I've bought a rolling chassis and hope to have it finished for next season.

I'm looking at the engine at the moment, and would like some advice on how best to baffle the sump to prevent oil pick-up problems.

Thanks

RJ

D Beddows

posted on 10/6/03 at 07:08 PM Reply With Quote
I wouldn't worry too much - Brett has always run with standard sump baffling and we've never had any problems with oil pressure. If you fit ARP conrod bolts (very good idea) you will have to modify the baffle thing in the shallow end of the sump otherwise the heads of the bolts will pick up on it. If you have money to burn (200ish quid) the Burtonpower baffled sump is as good as any, not sure it will gain you anything but it looks good

Cheers

Dave

Richard Jenkins

posted on 17/6/03 at 11:27 AM Reply With Quote
Now I've got my new chassis on order, back to the engine....

What are "ARP" conrod bolts and why is a good idea to fit? Presumably you can't buy them at your local Halfords?

Money to burn?? I wish!!

cheers
RJ

ned

posted on 17/6/03 at 12:03 PM Reply With Quote
Halfords, err nope.

ARP makes heavy duty bolts (amongst other things) for engine components eg conrod, flywheel etc etc. they are much stronger then standard ones and are usually recomended for racing/high revving engines.

Ned.

beware, I've got yellow skin

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
ajullie2

posted on 20/12/03 at 06:17 PM Reply With Quote
Dave,
You had much damage on your sump? We took ours off the other day and it looks a little battered!

We're thinking of changing to shallower version just to be safe...if we can find a half decent second hand one that is.
Alex

DickieB

posted on 29/12/03 at 11:58 AM Reply With Quote
Alex
I tried a normal sump, then a modified shallow one, and finally went for a Burtons one. Never had oil surge problems again.

As for battered sumps - stop going over the curbs!

Dickie

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
ajullie2

posted on 6/1/04 at 09:22 PM Reply With Quote
Dickie,
Did you have surge probs with std sump then? Ours has been fine - so far anyway...

Regarding kurbs, don't know what you're talking about your honour - honest guv!

Alex

DickieB

posted on 7/1/04 at 07:24 PM Reply With Quote
Al
Yes, I had problems with the standard sump. However I wanted a shallow one as I feared I might end up like you going over all the kerbs. As it happens I've avoided most of them (especially Pembrey) - must try harder.....
Dickie

ajullie2

posted on 8/1/04 at 12:56 PM Reply With Quote
Cheeky boy!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.