Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: wishbones by ACE Sports Cars
takumi

posted on 28/1/07 at 07:18 PM Reply With Quote
wishbones by ACE Sports Cars

I picked up some brand new rose jointed front wishbones a while back made by ACE Sports Cars. > very nice.

I finally finished the thread adapter for M18x1.5 to 1/2" UNF20 so now using a Teflon raced Rose joint and spacer instead of the Transit Draglink.. looks ten times cooler too..
hubs ariving next week, finally I feel the front end is comming together.. Rescued attachment Image1.jpg
Rescued attachment Image1.jpg

RobinHood 2B 2.0i pinto, Keihin 38mm Carbs, lightened flywheel, O'Mori remote filter kit, 10 row oil cooler. Modified head, 10.2cr, special valves FR22 cam, 4- 1 header.

takumi

posted on 28/1/07 at 07:19 PM Reply With Quote
and the closeup... Rescued attachment toprose.jpg
Rescued attachment toprose.jpg

RobinHood 2B 2.0i pinto, Keihin 38mm Carbs, lightened flywheel, O'Mori remote filter kit, 10 row oil cooler. Modified head, 10.2cr, special valves FR22 cam, 4- 1 header.

JoelP

posted on 28/1/07 at 07:32 PM Reply With Quote
nice
Confused but excited.

posted on 28/1/07 at 08:33 PM Reply With Quote
Who hasn't been using vice jaws then?

Tell them about the bent treacle edges!

coozer

posted on 28/1/07 at 10:51 PM Reply With Quote
Whats with that massive nut??

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

gazza285

posted on 29/1/07 at 05:09 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by takumi
I finally finished the thread adapter for M18x1.5 to 1/2" UNF20

That's the massive nut.

DO NOT PUT ON KNOB OR BOLLOCKS!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
MikeRJ

posted on 29/1/07 at 08:27 AM Reply With Quote
18mm down to 13mm is a substantial drop in size. I suspect the rod end is made out of better material than a transit drag link end but is it definitely going to be strong enough?
takumi

posted on 29/1/07 at 10:29 AM Reply With Quote
Its the same size that MNR will sell you as a replacement for the top ball joint. They sell top ball joint conversion kits.

I have just seen that MidWest Control do M18x1.5 rose joints which have an 18mm eye hole, and almost an inch thick..waaa

$8.92ea min 25.

http://www.midwestcontrol.com/catdisplay_short.php?pg=509&page=2

A lot of there less common stuff isn't stocked in the UK. But they are very easy to deal with, nice chaps > were at AutoSport.

[Edited on 29/1/07 by takumi]

Volvorsport

posted on 29/1/07 at 10:43 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeRJ
18mm down to 13mm is a substantial drop in size. I suspect the rod end is made out of better material than a transit drag link end but is it definitely going to be strong enough?

the BBJ is the one that takes major loads , if you follow the load path through the bottom wishbone to damper/spring .

the top joint carries less load , and in the case of the transit link , that is only designed as a drag link .

www.dbsmotorsport.co.uk
getting dirty under a bus

MikeRJ

posted on 29/1/07 at 12:45 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Volvorsport
the BBJ is the one that takes major loads , if you follow the load path through the bottom wishbone to damper/spring .

the top joint carries less load , and in the case of the transit link , that is only designed as a drag link .

Very true. The reason I mentioned it is I'm sure I can remember someone on here analysing the stresses on the 18mm transit rod end and working out that there wasn't much in the way of a safety factor. Is the threaded section of the 13mm rod end really as strong under bending loads? I'll see if the archives can throw anything up.

Volvorsport

posted on 29/1/07 at 01:30 PM Reply With Quote
i think a high quality rod end would have sufficient load rating for that purpose .

as long as you dont lower the stress limit by the way you mount it .

quite a lot of cars have this arrangement .

www.dbsmotorsport.co.uk
getting dirty under a bus

procomp

posted on 29/1/07 at 02:18 PM Reply With Quote
Hi it will be suitable as said many cars running that setup.

But REMEMBER to put a safty washer on top.

cheers matt

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
flak monkey

posted on 29/1/07 at 04:33 PM Reply With Quote
We bust a top quality 8mm (yes i know its small) rod end as an outboard joint on the rear of our race car a couple of years ago (car weighed around 250kg). Due to the high bending load on the outboard joints under braking (and acceleration if they are rear wishbones).

Proper practice would be to use spherical bearings in the wishbones and make the brackets on the chassis adjustable via the use of shims.

David

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

JoelP

posted on 29/1/07 at 10:47 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by takumi
Its the same size that MNR will sell you as a replacement for the top ball joint. They sell top ball joint conversion kits.

I have just seen that MidWest Control do M18x1.5 rose joints which have an 18mm eye hole, and almost an inch thick..waaa

$8.92ea min 25.

http://www.midwestcontrol.com/catdisplay_short.php?pg=509&page=2

A lot of there less common stuff isn't stocked in the UK. But they are very easy to deal with, nice chaps > were at AutoSport.

[Edited on 29/1/07 by takumi]

I rang midwest recently, they told me they no longer ship to the UK, only to established customers

[Edited on 29/1/07 by JoelP]

takumi

posted on 30/1/07 at 10:41 AM Reply With Quote
They have a UK distribution branch in Oxon - 01993 703816. But not all of there products are stocked in the UK .. Did you speak to the UK office.. ?

takumi

posted on 30/1/07 at 10:46 AM Reply With Quote
Just noticed on their site, the 1/2" UNF roses are rated to 4315.5 Kg static load , I hope that is good..

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.