Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Battery Positon
coozer

posted on 14/2/07 at 01:08 PM Reply With Quote
Battery Positon

Getting into it now and the I am wondering where to put the battery?

I dont want it on the scuttle as i want that area clean as a whistle.

Corner of the chassis, passenger side in front of the footwell? or in the back above the diff?

Where have the few who have built car engined MNR's put their batteries??

Steve

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

02GF74

posted on 14/2/07 at 01:13 PM Reply With Quote
see my post about sunken battery position in electrics (I think) for some ideas.

generally you want the battery as low as possible to keep the CofG down and without having to use long leads.

worX

posted on 14/2/07 at 01:19 PM Reply With Quote
I agree with you Steve about keeping the scuttle clean, and I responded to 02GF74's post with a similar reply, and even though I am using a bike engine I still think that my placement is a good one (if you're thinking CofG issues etc.)
http://www.p4nts.co.uk/slides/kc%20(206).html

Guinness

posted on 14/2/07 at 01:24 PM Reply With Quote
Steve

Are you using a "factory loom" or are you making your own? If it's a factory job then you may be limited by the length of the wires.

In my opinion on the floor in the passenger footwell (behind a foot rest) is probably best. (But don't forget to wire in one of those jump lead sockets the AA have so you can charge / jump it easily)!

Like these from Polevolt

for Steve
for Steve

HTH

Mike

miegru

posted on 14/2/07 at 01:40 PM Reply With Quote
If possible I would wait until most other components are fitter and you can weight the car. That would determine the best position.

Mine is in front of the passenger footwell, as far right as possible (mine is a LHD-car). Unexpected advantage was that my girlfriend and most other passengers actually preffer it because the reduced legspace enables them to brace their feet and legs.

If you go that way: I fully agree with fitting the leads to make jumpstarting or charging possisble.......I forgot at first.......lesson learned!

Rgrds,

Mies.

coozer

posted on 14/2/07 at 01:41 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers guys, I dont want to put on the scuttle top ala sunken style and I was thinking more of in front of the passenger footwell in the engine bay.

My exhaust exits over the top chassis rail so it wont get to close.

I am building my own loom from the sierra so it is just a matter of fitting somewhere out of site , low down.

Obviuosly I was thinking standard car size battery but a smaller (expensive) one may be considered. Any recommendations??

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

smart51

posted on 14/2/07 at 01:58 PM Reply With Quote
CECs can be slightly front heavy so putting the battery at the back can be a good idea. Perhaps on the passenger side between the wishbones (as clost the the front as possible.

I'd rather have it in the engine bay though as lots of amps for the starter motor can cause a significant volt drop over a long cable. Will it go infront of the passenger's foot well? Keep it covered though to avoid it getting too wet.

The inside of the passenger's foot well can be hard to get to in a narrow car without doors. I'd rather keep it under the bonnet myself

[Edited on 14-2-2007 by smart51]

Guinness

posted on 14/2/07 at 02:01 PM Reply With Quote
Steve

A mate of mine has an old X flow powered Caterham. The battery on that is underneath the exhaust headers and in front of the foot well.

I have various scars on my knuckles and burns on my forearms from trying to replace / jump his battery in the past!

Problem with the Caterham is that the tray is solidly mounted to the chassis and the battery strap joins at the top!

Mike

Krismc

posted on 14/2/07 at 04:24 PM Reply With Quote
hi steve i use the Oddessy battery its a bike style size but designed for a car, its really small (bout size of a ritz cracker box)and would fit in your passenger footwell with out causing any restrictions if you mounted it gear box side against the wall!

ive mounted sunking in scuttle and it fits fine, they are bout £65 delivered i think mine is a PC680 model

Built, Ivaed, Drove and now Sold - 2011 MNR VORTX RT+ 2000cc Zetec on R1 Throttle boddies.

Phil.J

posted on 14/2/07 at 04:26 PM Reply With Quote
A battery is a fair chunk of weight, so keep it within the wheelbase if you can. If you go to the expense of something like a Varley then they can be fitten in any orientation and tucked away discretely in surprisingly small spaces (They may appear to be expensive but I have had one for 14 years now and it's still as good as new!)
ATB
Phil

miegru

posted on 14/2/07 at 05:02 PM Reply With Quote
With regards to battery; I had one of the expensive lightweight ones (16amp/h). And to be honest; was always worried about emptying the battery if the engine didn't caught at once. After weighting the car with me in it I needed some weight on the right (LHD car), roughtly in the middle of the car. Bought a car battery that just fitted.

No need for ballast; no need for worrying....Should have done that before buying the expensive battery. Another lesson learned for me.

Mies.

nitram38

posted on 14/2/07 at 07:51 PM Reply With Quote
I have a red top 25 battery in mine plus the external anderson plug for jump starts.
It only loses a bit of charge because of my immobiliser led, but normally starts ok unless it has been standing for months.

coozer

posted on 14/2/07 at 10:33 PM Reply With Quote
The PC680 looks nice but at £90 is a bit steep. i only say that because in the good ole US of A they can be had for $68, under 40 quid. What a rip off.

Just been looking at a seven with one down were I suggested and they reckon it suffered from the heat.. may have to rethink the position

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

Krismc

posted on 17/2/07 at 11:43 AM Reply With Quote
got my pc680 cheaper than that mate, ill hunt out where i bought it from, they give a locost members discount!

Built, Ivaed, Drove and now Sold - 2011 MNR VORTX RT+ 2000cc Zetec on R1 Throttle boddies.

G.Man

posted on 17/2/07 at 02:11 PM Reply With Quote
I doubt you will find the 680 for $68 anymore, it has more than $68 worth of lead in it, and at 15lb's it aint gonna be cheap to ship either!

But the reason they are cheaper in the US is coz they are made there, so no shipping and vat in another country..

I got an odyssey in my car as they are much lighter than equivalent batteries, no spill, and deep discharge resistance... paid about £75 quid for mine IIRC... PC310 I think, not big enuff for a CEC

Opinions are like backsides..
Everyone has one, nobody wants to hear it and only other peoples stink!

roadboy

posted on 18/2/07 at 04:46 PM Reply With Quote
Fitted in passenger footwell & no problems, come & view if you like , we are local to you.
regds
Ian

Jude Performance Services

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
coozer

posted on 18/2/07 at 07:23 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers Ian, was round your way yesterday at Maplin.

Just one thought, does putting the battery in the footwell cause any problems with SVA?

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

Agriv8

posted on 18/2/07 at 11:31 PM Reply With Quote
from another Iain ( but spelt different ) No problems with battery in the footwell.

All they are intrestested in with mine was that it was fastened down well - and the live had a cover on. passed ok !!

my reasons were two fold

1 under bonnet temps were always going to be on the warm side.

2 there is all that room ( where as the driver has all them pedals )

regards

Agriv8

Taller than your average Guy !
Management is like a tree of monkeys. - Those at the top look down and see a tree full of smiling faces. BUT Those at the bottom look up and see a tree full of a*seholes .............

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.