Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Ain't Sikaflex great
Catpuss

posted on 5/5/07 at 04:46 PM Reply With Quote
Ain't Sikaflex great

Its like icing a really stinky cake

After putting in 140 rivets and nearly killing a Lazy Tong riveter (which although make light work its a bit cheap n nasy) I only had 4 rivets break their shafts. Using a spanner and some mole grips I manged to manually pop those rivets though. Not too much of a problem as I also bonded the ally to the frame too.

StevieB

posted on 5/5/07 at 05:26 PM Reply With Quote
Sikaflex is fantastic stuff - unless, like me, you buy the bright red stuff because it was cheaper, then proceed to make an arse of applying it to the chassis/floopan edges - it's real hard work to remove!
Bitten hero

posted on 5/5/07 at 06:48 PM Reply With Quote
AGH yes its the mutts but dont get it on yourself like i did when i leaned on the newly fitted floor plan like i did as its a nightmere to get it off and she who must be obeyed was not happy !!!!!!
Catpuss

posted on 5/5/07 at 06:54 PM Reply With Quote
I got a bit patch on my ar$e.....then backed into my bike. Thankfully WD40 and an old sock did the trick.

Copious amounts of orange pumice type cleaner and a scouring sponge got my hands clean. My hands are all hurty and rubbed raw now

RazMan

posted on 5/5/07 at 10:06 PM Reply With Quote
One tip when using Sikaflex - Don't be tempted to wipe away the excess that is squeezed out of the joints. Just wait until it cures (about 24 hours) and run a razor blade down the outside of the joint - the excess just peels away with no mess.

Oh and meths is a good cleaner / solvent

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Alex B

posted on 7/5/07 at 07:04 PM Reply With Quote
Yes it is great. Especially today when I picked up brand new in the box Sika 261 for 4 quid a tube

Alex

gaza 47

posted on 8/5/07 at 08:56 AM Reply With Quote
Sikaflex

Great stuff. Turps is good for cleaning up.
DarrenW

posted on 9/5/07 at 03:43 PM Reply With Quote
acetone cleans it off no probs.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.