Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: has my collumn been collapsed?
andrew-theasby

posted on 15/5/07 at 09:25 PM Reply With Quote
has my collumn been collapsed?

Hi, just noticed while setting up my steering collumn that the top mount for the sierra collumn has a sliding bit in it too, presumably for if you headbut the steering wheel! Heres a photo of mine at the mo, can anyone please tell me if the mount is in the right position on the collumn or should it be slid to where the red box is that ive drawn? or even the other end? It feels like it would move quite easily, is this correct? And while im on the subject, can someone please confirm the length of the smaller triangular telescopic section at the bottom of the collumn to make sure this hasnt moved either. Thanks in advane. Rescued attachment DSC000111.jpg
Rescued attachment DSC000111.jpg

mookaloid

posted on 15/5/07 at 09:43 PM Reply With Quote
Doesn't look collapsed to me. The triangular telescopic bit can be moved in or out a bit to suit your application.

HTH

Mark

"That thing you're thinking - it wont be that."

snapper

posted on 15/5/07 at 09:45 PM Reply With Quote
The triangular white plastic slider can be drawn further out to push the spring in the picture further in, i have an adjustable column that has the convoluted cover more sqaushed up than yours but once set up i can slide it in and out on the white slider and move up and down on the adjuster.

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

andrew-theasby

posted on 15/5/07 at 09:51 PM Reply With Quote
Where abouts is the triangular white plastic slider? Do you mean the collumn is meant to slide in and out on that ally mount? Wat stops it moving when your driving, it feels ass if it would a te mo
stuart_g

posted on 15/5/07 at 10:04 PM Reply With Quote
the way you're column is set is fine. yes the ali bit will move up and down that part but it is held in place by a bolt at the bottom. it is moveable to suit the fitting.

The bottom triangular piece is adjustable also to a degree and it is meant to move in and out and there is no fixed measurement, again it will end up in a position to suit you're car.

MikeRJ

posted on 15/5/07 at 10:57 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by andrew-theasby
Where abouts is the triangular white plastic slider? Do you mean the collumn is meant to slide in and out on that ally mount? Wat stops it moving when your driving, it feels ass if it would a te mo

There is a pinch bolt on the bottom of the alloy mounting collar that clamps it to the column to prevent it moving. The white plastic part being refered to is at the end of the steering column on the triangular shaft. This is what absorbs any movement of the steering rack in the event of a crash, rather than projecting the steering wheel back into you as a solid column might.

andrew-theasby

posted on 18/5/07 at 10:43 PM Reply With Quote
Sorry its been so long, thanks for those answers, ill have a better look on sunday and hopefully get it all welded in. Thanks

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.