Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Locosts versus alternatives
Afro

posted on 11/8/03 at 07:53 PM Reply With Quote
Locosts versus alternatives

Hi,

I am currently building a locost, but cannot as yet decide whether to build a racer or a road car.

Motorsport is definately something I'd like to give a go, and to me the series that look like good fun and have a potentially sensible budget are :

Locost
XR2 Challenge
MG's .. (in a midget or MGB).
Minis

Does anyone have any input on the merits or negatives of any of these series?

I am sure you will all be naturally in favour of the locosts, but for what reasons?

If it aint broke... it will be soon

D Beddows

posted on 11/8/03 at 10:20 PM Reply With Quote
Depends a lot on what you know and who you know.............

XR2 Challange......bodywork will be the main issue - I would imagine it's a lot like 750 MC's stock hatch championship - loads of understeer and loads of 'enthusiastic' drivers knocking hell out of your bodywork

MGs - don't know much about this one but I'll bet it's not cheap to be competitive/fix the car.

Minis - loads and loads of cash unless you know the right people - not cheap even then........

Locost isn't realy lowcost either but probably the best handling of the 'cheap' cars.

Locost is cheapest, hatchbacks probably make you feel like you're a touring car driver (good Locosts will embarrass you though.....) Minis are pretty much rich boys toys nowadays dunno about MGs

Mark Benson

posted on 12/8/03 at 12:28 PM Reply With Quote
I chose Locost because it was;

Affordable - as much as motor racing ever is. But parts are still available from scrappies, through motor factors having been reconditioned or new since there are still plenty of X-Flow engines in service. MGs and the like are 'classics', with all that entails cost-wise. Plus, we have less bodywork to replace than most, what there is can be replaced using sheet metal rather than pre-formed parts.

A 'proper' racing car - Hot hatch racing is all well and good, but you're driving a shopping car modified for the purpose of racing it. It's a compromise from the wrong wheels being driven to the high CofG. The Seven design may be long in the tooth, but its closer to that of a 'proper' racing car and was designed for the purpose.

Well supported - in these days of dwindling grids, the Locost series is a bit special in that there are loads of competitors, meaning that there will always be people at your skill level, from complete novice upwards. You will have someone to race whether you're in pole or at the back, I see so many races where the field is so small and so diverse that after lap one they become a procession of evenly spaced cars. Not so in Locost, we have so many entries we get heat races and finals too, meaning we get two races for the price of one (well, those of us who don't automatically qualify for the final that is....).

Raced a Locost for a couple of years, then bought an Elise.

Now back building a Fisher Fury, can't yet decide on V8 power (which I already have waiting to go in) or some kind of V6 (which I'd have to buy, when I can sell the Elise, if I sell the Elise).

I'm not the most decisive person in the world.

ned

posted on 12/8/03 at 01:39 PM Reply With Quote
don't forget that a locost with a bike engine could run in RGB (road going bike engined) 750mc series. There are also regional championships that have classes suitable for a kit cars eg semsec, darlington & district, northern sports cars etc.

stock hatch or karting are other cheap ways of getting into motorsport. Karting either on short or long circuit gives you excellent amounts of track time for little money and is quicker than you might think (european superkarts were lapping donington at 1min34 at the weekend!)

Whatever you decide to race you will always have to spend lots more money to be at the front, however good a driver you are (IMHO) whether it be new sets of tyres or better engine builders etc etc.

food for thought...

Ned.

beware, I've got yellow skin

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Viper

posted on 12/8/03 at 04:12 PM Reply With Quote
Motorsport = big black bottomless pit , just chuck your pay packet in each month

Bloody good fun though

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Afro

posted on 12/8/03 at 04:23 PM Reply With Quote
Hmmn.. bottomless pit... I've been somewhere like that before.. in my paper-round and saturday job days we used to call it Mountain Bike Racing.

Now I work full time so need a bigger bottomless pit plus I'm far too lasy to bust my lungs hauling my ass up 1:3 hills anymore... the altitude does something funny to my beer gut

[Edited on 12/8/03 by Afro]

If it aint broke... it will be soon

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.