Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Quick Rack - Bugatti style or not?
Ivan

posted on 26/5/07 at 05:29 PM Reply With Quote
Quick Rack - Bugatti style or not?

Hi - browsing LocostUSA forum I saw this and thought it's a really simple way to achieve a quick rack - wonder what the authorities would think of it , although in all fairness if it's good enough for Bugatti it should be good enough for them - although I think I would go for a double belt

Bugatti Steering
Bugatti Steering

On second thoughts it might have nothing to do with steering but something to do with timing and/or rev counter as looking carefully appears to be connected to back of head, but idea could still work although would maybe spoil steering feel.

rav

posted on 26/5/07 at 06:17 PM Reply With Quote
I was thinking making a 'quickener' using a pair of sprockets and a chain, or two gears in a simple box, (no one makes a quick rack for a cinquecento AFAIK) until I discovered that they can be bought off the shelf from the states:

http://www.midwestmotorsportsinc.com/order_sub.php?id=105

The Coleman Pro-lite seems to be the smallest & lightest, availabke in 1.5:1 or 2:1 ratios. they all seem to use 3/4" GM splines.

It should be pretty straighforward, the quickener will fit into the (modified) intermiediate steering shaft with the aid of a couple of splined sleeves, which can also be bought from stock car suppliers in the states for a few dollars.

Job done! Rescued attachment 22370.jpeg
Rescued attachment 22370.jpeg

Wadders

posted on 26/5/07 at 06:19 PM Reply With Quote
That looks like a magneto, hiding under the scuttle, not sure what the pulley is driving though, as you say maybe its the rev counter?

Originally posted by Ivan
Hi - browsing LocostUSA forum I saw this and thought it's a really simple way to achieve a quick rack - wonder what the authorities would think of it , although in all fairness if it's good enough for Bugatti it should be good enough for them - although I think I would go for a double belt

Bugatti Steering
Bugatti Steering

On second thoughts it might have nothing to do with steering but something to do with timing and/or rev counter as looking carefully appears to be connected to back of head, but idea could still work although would maybe spoil steering feel.

Mark Allanson

posted on 26/5/07 at 06:20 PM Reply With Quote
The advance retard is a lever on the steering wheel and the dizzy in in the middle od the dash (anyone KNOW why, I'm guessing cooler/drier). Just an ingenious way of linking the two.

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

rusty nuts

posted on 26/5/07 at 06:33 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mark Allanson
The advance retard is a lever on the steering wheel and the dizzy in in the middle od the dash (anyone KNOW why, I'm guessing cooler/drier). Just an ingenious way of linking the two.

Typical Italian electrics!!!

NS Dev

posted on 27/5/07 at 01:19 PM Reply With Quote
A lot of grasstrack racers used to use the timing gears and chain from a mini, mounted on the column and suiatable brackets, as a steering quickener, timing drives being ideal at 2:1 ratio

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

Ivan

posted on 27/5/07 at 02:21 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by NS Dev
A lot of grasstrack racers used to use the timing gears and chain from a mini, mounted on the column and suiatable brackets, as a steering quickener, timing drives being ideal at 2:1 ratio

Just out of interest - how does it affect things like steering feel and kick-back.

NS Dev

posted on 28/5/07 at 10:14 AM Reply With Quote
I've never run that setup myself, so can't really comment.

Kickback should be no worse than a correspondingly fast rack (e.g. the one I use now which is 0.8 turns lock to lock with a lot of lock! ) and doesn't kick back too badly apart from when you lock wheels with people.

Feel wise I would imagine there will be a bit of extra play, and a bit of notchiness, but no idea really!

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.