Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: What to do with the log book after stripping
Jazzy

posted on 2/7/07 at 11:48 AM Reply With Quote
What to do with the log book after stripping

Hi, the doner car has been stripped and the body disposed of. Do i just scrap the car on the log book or do i keep SORNing it until i would have to register the kit car?
Many thanks in advance
Jason

ReMan

posted on 2/7/07 at 11:50 AM Reply With Quote
Sorn it.
Did you keep the chassis/vin plate?

iank

posted on 2/7/07 at 11:51 AM Reply With Quote
If you want/don't care about a Q reg you can scrap it.
If you want age related plate best to keep SORN'ing.

Be careful not to forget, even though it's free and they send reminders, they will fine you if you don't keep it SORNed correctly.

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

ReMan

posted on 2/7/07 at 11:54 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by iank
If you want/don't care about a Q reg you can scrap it.
If you want age related plate best to keep SORN'ing.

Be careful not to forget, even though it's free and they send reminders, they will fine you if you don't keep it SORNed correctly.

Spot on!

mcerd1

posted on 2/7/07 at 12:05 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

and if you don't get the confirmation letter after a few weeks call them - they really messed up my last one

flange nut

posted on 2/7/07 at 12:14 PM Reply With Quote
Well having disposed of the rusting wreck of a Sierra I officially scrapped it. I took a copy of the V5 before sending the original to the DVLA. The Northampton DVLA office were quite happy to issue me with an age related plate after I had shown them the copy.

Geoff

Jazzy

posted on 2/7/07 at 12:15 PM Reply With Quote
Many thanks
iank

posted on 2/7/07 at 12:46 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mcerd1
quote:

and if you don't get the confirmation letter after a few weeks call them - they really messed up my last one

If you confirm using the web they send an email confirmation. Not had a paper one... hmm time to worry?

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

iank

posted on 2/7/07 at 12:49 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by flange nut
Well having disposed of the rusting wreck of a Sierra I officially scrapped it. I took a copy of the V5 before sending the original to the DVLA. The Northampton DVLA office were quite happy to issue me with an age related plate after I had shown them the copy.

Geoff

Yes, I was aware some people who'd scrapped had got age related. That's why I qualified my answer with 'best' as my understanding is they can refuse if they want as it's not the official route. The DVLA is so random it's not funny.

--
Anonymous

Peteff

posted on 2/7/07 at 12:50 PM Reply With Quote
I sorned mine on the net and they sent me a confirmation letter in the post.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

DavidM

posted on 2/7/07 at 03:00 PM Reply With Quote
I also kept mine Sorn'd. Retained the chassis plate and number plates so that no one else would apply for the donor log book if they saw the shell in the scrap yard.

David

Omni

posted on 3/8/07 at 06:44 PM Reply With Quote
What if you only have the number plates and not the chassis plate. Will that be OK?

O

John Watts

posted on 8/8/07 at 03:33 PM Reply With Quote
Here's a 'hypothetical' scenario.

I have an old style V5 from an 'A' reg Sierra auto. The car itself was driven abroad long before SORN came in so no reminders. Whilst abroad a friendly local made one side of the car 3 foot shorter than the other, hence end of car.
the car was scrapped abroad but I kept the docs (The insurance stuff never did get sorted and this was 14 years ago!).

I still have the V5 and every now and then think that I should do something with it.

How can I find out if the DVLA still think the car exists?
Could I use that V5 against getting an age related plate on a kit?

I don't want to be dishonest, just wondering if it's any use.

Thanks all.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.