Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Belt+disk sanders
Mr Rob

posted on 5/9/07 at 03:13 PM Reply With Quote
Belt+disk sanders

I was wondering if one would be a good investment when building a Locost. I was thinking for taking off burrs on cut tubes and tidying up brackets ect.

They don't cost much.. Rescued attachment belt sander.jpg
Rescued attachment belt sander.jpg

Confused but excited.

posted on 5/9/07 at 03:21 PM Reply With Quote
The cheap ones are mainly intended for light use on wood. The first time I tried using my mates one it stopped the belt. You get what you pay for was never truer.

Now having said that, a cheap B&Q belt sander of the type that you hold, held upside down in a vice works a treat and will really shift metal with a coarse belt. Use blue zircon belts not the red garnet ones. HTH.

Tell them about the bent treacle edges!

clockwork

posted on 5/9/07 at 03:29 PM Reply With Quote
I've got a clarke/draper one, it's handy, but not essential, also where I have it sited I sometimes don't have room to use it, so use an angle grinder. which works just as well if I'm honest.
Mine was a gift, and I wouldn't get rid of it.

"Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." Benjamin Franklin.
"Well if you have nothing to hide, you have nothing to fear" Morons the world over.

Locost/Kit builders info and FAQ website:- www.carbuilders.info

BenB

posted on 5/9/07 at 03:29 PM Reply With Quote
And don't forget to wear safety glasses. Preferably the wrap-around types with a good seal at the edges. I managed to get a metal splinter in my eye despite wearing safety glasses (non-sealing type). No-one in eye casualty believed that I was wearing glasses..... Pesky little flying metal fragments...
Ivan

posted on 5/9/07 at 04:32 PM Reply With Quote
Flap discs on an angle grider do it for me and are long lasting - if money is tight an angle grider is the one tool you can't do without in my opinion, although a belt sander is useful for many tasks.

A disk sander would be way down in my order of priorities.

Avoneer

posted on 5/9/07 at 05:01 PM Reply With Quote
I got one from B&Q supertore with normal grinder on the left side and vertical belt on the other side.

Was under £40.

It's been one of the best things I've bought.

Pat..

No trees were killed in the sending of this message.
However a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Fred W B

posted on 5/9/07 at 05:57 PM Reply With Quote
Seconded, this is mine, I find it extremely usefull. I have had to replace the switch though.

Cheers

Fred W B
linish
linish

[Edited on 5/9/07 by Fred W B]

[Edited on 5/9/07 by Fred W B]

You can do it quickly. You can do it cheap. You can do it right. – Pick any two.

designer

posted on 5/9/07 at 07:43 PM Reply With Quote
I use the Machine Mart model to finish off all the angles on tube ends.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
caber

posted on 5/9/07 at 07:59 PM Reply With Quote
I bought a belt sander from Lidl. It came with brackets for bench mounting and it has been bolted to the bench since I got it. I wish I had it during the chassis build and I use it pretty much everytime I work on the car. cost £19.99 and was deffo a good buy!

Caber

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.