Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: 7" LSD
Toady1

posted on 9/10/07 at 09:12 PM Reply With Quote
7" LSD

Ive got a 7" open diff in my mk atm, I want to fit an lsd, but these have bolt in shafts dont they opposed to my push in shafts, it there a way I can modify the diff or my drive shafts to fit the LSD unit? I have drums on the rear-hence id just fit the bolt on shafts!
stuart_g

posted on 9/10/07 at 09:53 PM Reply With Quote
You can take the bolt on bits out of a 7" diff. There are circlips holding them in on the inside. The pushin and bolt on splined bits that go in the diff look the same, it is just that the bolt on one has a groove for the circlip.

I have both types in the garage at the moment if you want I could post a pic of the two.

delboy

posted on 9/10/07 at 09:59 PM Reply With Quote
The limited slip diff has different lengths of splined ends where it goes into the diff, standard shafts won't fit. However, for standard diffs the shafts are interchangable by removing the clip inside the diff for the lobro type shafts. Basically you need the lsd and shafts to match as far as i remember.
mcerd1

posted on 10/10/07 at 07:13 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by delboy
The limited slip diff has different lengths of splined ends where it goes into the diff, standard shafts won't fit.

You'll get the bolt on driveshafts and stub axles/ hubs cheap enough

or you could fit an aftermarket LSD into you existing diff
(eg Quaife ATB)

[Edited on 10/10/07 by mcerd1]

Paul TigerB6

posted on 10/10/07 at 08:10 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by stuart_g
You can take the bolt on bits out of a 7" diff. There are circlips holding them in on the inside. The pushin and bolt on splined bits that go in the diff look the same, it is just that the bolt on one has a groove for the circlip.

I have both types in the garage at the moment if you want I could post a pic of the two.

I'd be interested in pics / measurement of spline length too - if the Lobro type output shafts are from an LSD unit. I've been given a 3.62LSD diff without these and was hoping the push-in shafts would fit.

Toady1

posted on 10/10/07 at 10:30 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by stuart_g

yes please, pics can then speak for themselves! lol! So basically it would be a good idea for me to go the whole hog and fit the lobro shafts and rear discs at the same time? Basically, i cant just remove the push in shafts from my open diff and slide them into the LSD?

James

posted on 10/10/07 at 10:36 AM Reply With Quote
IIRC they are not compatible.

Do a search for posts my (IIRC) Liam whose doing the 4x4.
He did a lot of research into this as it looks possible, but turns out it only work one way IIRC!

Cheers,
James

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

Martian

posted on 10/10/07 at 10:45 AM Reply With Quote
i use a 4x4 lsd in my locost with drum brakes. i used the 'drum' shafts and removed the inner joints and replaced them with the 4x4 inner joints....simple!!!
Toady1

posted on 10/10/07 at 10:51 AM Reply With Quote
did they bolt on tho? or was the shaft one piece with the cv?
stuart_g

posted on 10/10/07 at 03:42 PM Reply With Quote
Here is the pic of the pushin and the bolt on drive shafts.

Sorry about quality.

[Edited on 10/10/07 by stuart_g] Rescued attachment driveshafts.JPG
Rescued attachment driveshafts.JPG

Pezza

posted on 10/10/07 at 04:19 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

i use a 4x4 lsd in my locost with drum brakes. i used the 'drum' shafts and removed the inner joints and replaced them with the 4x4 inner joints....simple!!!

Yup did the same on my Indy too.
Just swapped over the tripod push in bits for the bolt on jobbies

Pez

You couldn't pwn your way out of a wet paper bag, with "PWN ME!!" written on it, from the "pwned take-away" which originally contained one portion of chicken tikka pwnsala and the obligatory free pwnpadom.

Toady1

posted on 11/10/07 at 09:35 PM Reply With Quote
will the LSD guts fit in an open diff housing?

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.