Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Wishbone Bushes... Something Missing??? Please Help
VinceGledhill

posted on 23/9/03 at 08:49 PM Reply With Quote
Wishbone Bushes... Something Missing??? Please Help

I have just got a set of wishbones cheap from e-bay. They were originally manufactured for Locost Ltd.

They look like there is something missing at the bushes but I'm not sure what, and what to get, and from where.

If you look at the pretty bad picture that I have attached you can see that the bushes are made from a kinda plastic material. The insert in the middle looks metal (I think sorry for being a bit vague) but I cannot see how it all goes together. When I fit it into a bracket, there is loads of side to side play, should I have washers?

Also a 10mm bolt is miles too slack.

Please could someone let me know what I'm missing and where to get it from. Rescued attachment wishbone-ends.jpg
Rescued attachment wishbone-ends.jpg

Regards
Vince Gledhill
Time Served Auto Electrician
Lucas Leeds 1979-1983

Hornet

posted on 23/9/03 at 08:57 PM Reply With Quote
Don't know if this is of any help.... Some brackets on chassis are 36mm wide and some 42mm wide, Perhaps you have bought a set of wishbones for the wrong brackets? (Some dimensions would help)
With regards the bolt.... my brackets came pre-bored for 12mm bolt so just change from 10mm to 12mm if they fit.
Hope this helps..

Viper

posted on 23/9/03 at 09:03 PM Reply With Quote
12mm? they are usualy 1/2"

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
JoelP

posted on 23/9/03 at 09:06 PM Reply With Quote
easy vince.

the metal in the middle is a crush tube. I used M12x70mm bolts on mine, with nylocks.

Using washers is a good way to include adjustable castor angle, so you're off to a good start.

there should be some lube between the crush tube and the bush itself, and some on the outside ends when you put it all together. also the crush tube should be slightly longer than the hole so that the bracket can grip it. no lube inside the tube though.

hope that helps, Joel

JoelP

posted on 23/9/03 at 09:07 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Viper
12mm? they are usualy 1/2"

MK said 12mm for the ones he supplies...

dunno about any others though. suck it and see as someone once said!

id start by getting a single M12 high tensile bolt, and trying it for fit. then proceed from there. big washers from any DIY store should do, obviously to fit the bolt as well.

[Edited on 23/9/03 by JoelP]

VinceGledhill

posted on 23/9/03 at 11:21 PM Reply With Quote
I thought that the crush tubes would actually be slightly wider than the bushes but they are not. They seem stuck in too. I will try and remove them tomorrow if I get a chance.

The brackets, I bought the "book" ones from GTS tuning so thought that they would be just a standard item. I must say though that the U shaped bend of the bracket is not quite 90 + 90 degrees but this will be good because I can get the bones in (oh err missus) easily and then tighten everything afterwards.

I felt sure that the bolt holes in the brackets were 10mm.... but I will try a 12mm bolt in the bones as sugested.

Thanks again for all the input guys.

Regards
Vince Gledhill
Time Served Auto Electrician
Lucas Leeds 1979-1983

Staple balls

posted on 24/9/03 at 06:55 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by VinceGledhill
I thought that the crush tubes would actually be slightly wider than the bushes but they are not. They seem stuck in too. I will try and remove them tomorrow if I get a chance.

hmm, it sounds like they may be brass/alu bushings, and that the crush tube will go thru the centre
(Guesswork alone, and i've seen similar systems used on (push)bikes )

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.