Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: whats the best way to secure flexible hoses?
blakep82

posted on 29/10/07 at 10:36 PM Reply With Quote
whats the best way to secure flexible hoses?

I'm using flexi hoses throughout the whole system, spoken to the garage where i get my MOTs, said they're like them. SVA seems good with them too (euroquip hoses, but they've got no markings on them... would this cause a problem?)

not sure the best way to secure them to the wishbones, ensureing they don't rub against the shocks, tyres, or chassis on full lock.

how do i work out how much length i need to leave? would it cause a problem to run the along the steering arms?

is there rule to work out how much free hose i need between the caliper and where they are secured on the wishbone?

should be easy enough, but i don't want to get it wrong and waste my hose by making it too short

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

Bob C

posted on 29/10/07 at 10:45 PM Reply With Quote
I sliced along a piece of fuel hose so it would go round the outside of the flexy then tiewrapped round the rubber hose to the wishbone. SVA'd OK
Bob

blakep82

posted on 29/10/07 at 10:52 PM Reply With Quote
i was actually going to get some clear PVC tube (they type used in fish tank pumps) but yeah, same idea

what i mean is though, how to i make sure the the pipe doesn't tug on full lock, and rub against moving parts when steering locked the other way?

thanks for the advice though!

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

RazMan

posted on 29/10/07 at 11:32 PM Reply With Quote
Make a 'pigtail' or a loop which allows everything to move without tightening or rubbing on anything. Cables ties are fine btw.

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
RazMan

posted on 29/10/07 at 11:34 PM Reply With Quote
Found a pic - this in on full lock Rescued attachment Front Brake 3.jpg
Rescued attachment Front Brake 3.jpg

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
brynhamlet

posted on 30/10/07 at 07:47 AM Reply With Quote
If you use euroquip type hoses the SVA man will want you to have them covered as they can act like a saw when you run somebody over, honest. I used spiral wrap that you use for wiring. Then to stop them touching the tyre on full lock tie wrapped them to the mud guard stays were necasary. SVA man was happy with that
blakep82

posted on 30/10/07 at 09:00 AM Reply With Quote
no worries about sharp edges on suspension for me! i've got a full front bumper and wings on the pickup, no exposed suspension, bit i'll be getting some of that PVC tubing this evening (once my engine crane and pedals arrive )

blakep82

posted on 30/10/07 at 09:18 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RazMan
Found a pic - this in on full lock

very nice! i'll be trying to acheive that today!

martyn_16v

posted on 30/10/07 at 10:29 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by brynhamlet
If you use euroquip type hoses the SVA man will want you to have them covered as they can act like a saw when you run somebody over, honest.

I think he's probably more concerned about the hose wearing through rather than it chopping people in half. They'd already have had to have been chopped into bits by the wishbones before they'd ever come into contact with the hoses behind them, by which time they're already merked

blakep82

posted on 31/10/07 at 07:31 PM Reply With Quote
got some of that clear plastic tube (normally used for fish tank pumps etc) to put over the hoses. looking good!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.