Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: battery cut of switch
mkblade

posted on 11/3/08 at 07:18 PM Reply With Quote
battery cut of switch

i want to fit a device that i can cut all power from the battery.

i was going to cur the neg lead and fit something in there (under nose cone) ive got a cut off switch (red key) but its a bit bulky anyone eles got something along these lines fitted
thanks
simon

brynhamlet

posted on 11/3/08 at 07:39 PM Reply With Quote
I've got on off these battery isolator switches and yes they are bulky, but don't forget your switching potentially 30A or so. I'm going to mount mine on the vertical face of the scuttle, so it protrudes into the cockpit under the dash, slightly to left of centre. Then the leads can be short and hidden under the bonnet. I'm going to break the live feed though, because if you break the negative you've got to take into consideration, you will have to break all the starter motor current as well as the running load. If you break the positive, you would still not be able to start the car as you will still disable the starter, on the low current side.
Also check the recent thread I started and the answers

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=84547

nitram38

posted on 11/3/08 at 07:53 PM Reply With Quote
Unless you use the fia isolator which discharges the alternator and cuts the ign, then your engine may run on or destroy your alternator diodes

LBMEFM

posted on 11/3/08 at 07:58 PM Reply With Quote
As "nitram38" say's if you disconnect the battery while the engine is running you will fry the rectifiyer. See the posting a few days ago on this subject.
Barry

britishtrident

posted on 11/3/08 at 08:19 PM Reply With Quote
Correct MSA way to wire a battery master switch is to break the negative line.

You can get more expensive "FIA" master switches that are combined with switch contacts to break the posative feed to the igniton/fuel pump/main relay and also switch the alternator output to earth via a ressistor.

However you don't need this if the switch is purely an anti-theft device.

[Edited on 11/3/08 by britishtrident]

britishtrident

posted on 11/3/08 at 08:23 PM Reply With Quote
FIA Masterswitch

http://www.autoimagination.co.uk/?page=manufacturers&id=60&product=1019 Rescued attachment master switch.jpg
Rescued attachment master switch.jpg

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

dhutch

posted on 11/3/08 at 09:29 PM Reply With Quote
Also if you only want it to cut power while your working on it, you dont need the extra conections.
- It could also be argued that in an emergancy situation like and electracl fire, the cost of a second hand alternator is a small price to pay. Sometimes they survive, as well.

Also worth point out you can fairly easly set up a pull-cord-to-isolate setup. Which is often the simplest/neatest way to put the switch somewhere handy.

You may potentially be switching more than 30amps as well. Or certainly drawing far more than for a short space of time while starting. More like 300amps peak.

Daniel

britishtrident

posted on 12/3/08 at 08:20 AM Reply With Quote
You can also put a 100 or 150 amp circuit breaker in the main (+ve) feed to fuse box.

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Exclusive-Parts-HK_Circuit-Breaker_W0QQfsubZ13267681QQfrsrcZ1 Rescued attachment 3da4_1.JPG
Rescued attachment 3da4_1.JPG

nz_climber

posted on 13/3/08 at 08:07 AM Reply With Quote
I have been thinking about this to..
Wouldn't leaving the main starter wire and main alternator wire attacted to the battery work, and have the switch just isolate everything else (ecu, ignition, fuel pumps, everything else) work, this will still cut an engine when turned off, and also allow the path for the alternator current to go when engine is winding down? This means you are only drawing 30A or so through the switch, and not 100A + on start up..

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.