Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Half shaft trouble!
JEPY

posted on 15/3/08 at 08:27 PM Reply With Quote
Half shaft trouble!

Help.. please, before I break something valuable in the garage.

After much cutting and swearing I managed to get the metal CV cover off one end of the half shaft (push in style shafts off a Sapphire 1.8).

Take new cover out of box - hmmm, it's quite different shape and a smaller diameter.

Having sat down with the parts man at Ford, we went through the system and these look like the only ones available now for the push-in style shafts.

Does anyone know what the correct part numbers should be for this shaft? I thought there was only one type of push in shaft?

All help appreciated since quite fed up after getting covered in grease, skinning my knuckles and then finding it was the wrong part (should have checked before, I know!)

Cheers
James

[Edited on 15/3/08 by JEPY]

JEPY

posted on 15/3/08 at 09:01 PM Reply With Quote
Attached photo of half shaft Rescued attachment P1010016_Small.JPG
Rescued attachment P1010016_Small.JPG

JEPY

posted on 15/3/08 at 09:03 PM Reply With Quote
And one of the new cv cover kit that doesn't fit: Rescued attachment P1010018_Small.JPG
Rescued attachment P1010018_Small.JPG

Thinking about it

posted on 15/3/08 at 10:44 PM Reply With Quote
u2u sent
MikeR

posted on 16/3/08 at 01:55 PM Reply With Quote
could you tell us all as i've got the same half shafts & am going to have the same problem i the near future.
JEPY

posted on 16/3/08 at 08:37 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks to Ian for his help today - he's told me a much easier method to get them off: got it all apart in under half an hour compared to the several hours of cutting, bashing and swearing for the first.

If you look at the picture attached (stub axle or diff splines to the left in the vice), I first cut around the right hand side of the groove where the cup is peened to the surface of the machined item. I just squeezed an old screwdriver into the cut and prised out the narrow rusty old metal.

I then made a second cut 7 or 8mm to the right all the way around the assembly (in the middle of the raised land) which is right above a second groove which holds the rubber sealing ring. The drive shaft will then just come away and you can start the cleanup process (very messy!)

I finally made a cut across the remaining metal to remove the final raised land.

You will need a puller of some description to remove the tripode if you're going that far.

As far as part numbers. Ian and I compared sizes on the phone today (ooerr!) and think the following part numbers will be right:

CV Cap: 89 BG 4K 240 BA
Rubber ring: W 700 739
CV boot: 89 BG 4697 AA

I'll let you know in the next couple of days if this works.

Cheers
James Rescued attachment P1010002_Small.JPG
Rescued attachment P1010002_Small.JPG

MikeR

posted on 18/3/08 at 12:18 AM Reply With Quote
Is the CV cap the lump of metal you're cutting away at?

Where did you get your replacements from? Ford want 42 quid a side when i went in last week

Peteff

posted on 18/3/08 at 10:49 AM Reply With Quote
The tripodes I've done come off with a tap from behind, no pullers used.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

vinnievector

posted on 18/3/08 at 06:06 PM Reply With Quote
Hi

Hi there ,I had sim problem with mine as i had to change my cv boots I followed the manual but thought i would see the availability of the cv steel shroud and spat my coffee out when i saw the price any how ,i see on your pics that you have destroyed your covers getting them off . the new ones should be a tight fit as you have to repress back on using a pulling tool .I managed to put a slit down mine and carefully split them using a sharp cold chisel inspected the bearings and cleaned , repacked with grease put the old shrouds back on then with some big jubilee clips clamped it back up tack welded them removed the clips them welded back up ground off excess weld painted you would not know .hope this helps other car builders but its a bit late for your self you will have to get a puller to put them on as the are a interference fit best of luck Vinnie .
JEPY

posted on 21/3/08 at 05:24 PM Reply With Quote
Ok, Ford show the metal cap to be about £29 each for this type of drive shaft (aparently this type were used for the last couple of years only on the Sierra).

However, when my friendly parts man had one sent over from North Yorkshire, the transfer cost was only £1-something, onto which they typically add 15% so he couldn't understand what's going on with the £29 business. So, he's ordered 3 more and will let me know what the cost them is and do a deal. The rubber rings are still available but the CV boot is no longer available from Ford (need to try Unipart or someone else).

Will let you know more next week. I think from what Thinking About It said to me there's also someone on here who can help out too - again, will update when I know more.

Cheers
J

MikeR

posted on 21/3/08 at 07:17 PM Reply With Quote
last couple of years .... heck mine are from an e reg or something sierra!

Suppose i should call ford with my diff code and ask them what cost would be for mine.

JEPY

posted on 26/3/08 at 06:11 PM Reply With Quote
The plot thickens.

The 3 new metal cups from Ford cost £20.01 each. The one transfered internally from North Yorks is £1.68 (this one has been sat on the shelf for a few years!!)! The used to be cheap but then Ford hiked the price up.

Spoke to Unipart who offer drive shafts on an exchange basis for £48+vat each. Why didn't I check that first...????? They'll only accept the old units if they're whole... having been a bit premature with the old hacksaw there's no chance of that! The surcharge is £25 each if you don't exchange or the old unit is sha99ed (or in bits!).

Plan C.....

J

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.