New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Braided line to wilwoods
Johneturbo

posted on 23/3/08 at 06:38 PM Reply With Quote
Braided line to wilwoods

Hey guys
I tried to fit my Goodridge braided lines to my wilwoods,
but they are both males ends
is there an easy solution. maybe an inline female?

Johneturbo

posted on 23/3/08 at 06:46 PM Reply With Quote
. Rescued attachment brake line.jpg
Rescued attachment brake line.jpg

Paradoxia0

posted on 23/3/08 at 06:52 PM Reply With Quote
I got some female to female adapters when I was first putting the car together as the original builder had the wrong ends on the copper lines. Cost about £4 from a motor factors.

Mark

Johneturbo

posted on 23/3/08 at 07:19 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the reply.
that sounds like an easy option.
just had a look at rallydesign, only thing i can find is this HERE, but it means cutting the braided line

worX

posted on 23/3/08 at 07:29 PM Reply With Quote
If you were going to cut the ends off I think that you would be better off mating it to the male/male that's already in there with something like THIS that way you can still attach it by just tightening up the "nut" instead of spinning the whole brake line around...

BUT - Thant may not be the exact one for you, I was just using the link to show you the example of the Female part instead of your idea of the male part.

The second reason I'd do it my way is because if you did it your way, you'd lose quite a bit in length and according to my Mrs. that's not a good thing...

Steve
quote:
Originally posted by Johneturbo
Thanks for the reply.
that sounds like an easy option.
just had a look at rallydesign, only thing i can find is this HERE, but it means cutting the braided line

indykid

posted on 23/3/08 at 07:32 PM Reply With Quote
that's what i bought for mine. (the male 1/8th npt fittings)

i really don't think running 2 adaptors to get hose to mate to caliper is wise at all. can anyone say fatigue failure?

since the unions will be put in bending every time the wheel is turned, making the moment arm as short as possible would seem to be good practice.

either buy the hose ends, or buy new hoses. don't just go whacking adaptor on adaptor.
tom

[Edited on 23/3/08 by indykid]

Johneturbo

posted on 23/3/08 at 07:42 PM Reply With Quote
Yep i know what your saying steve, but i do have a lot of lenth anyway...

i did read somewhere that Mr sva only likes crimped ends on braided lines?

worse case is i buy two new lines and sale these on, as they are brand new.

indykid

posted on 23/3/08 at 07:47 PM Reply With Quote
as long as you can provide the sva inspector with a photo to show the inner hose is supported, as it is with those fittings, you can use compression fittings.

i know of at least one car that passed without question with those type of fittings.
tom

nitram38

posted on 23/3/08 at 08:01 PM Reply With Quote
Doesn't the union in the wilwood unscrew and the braided line screw in directly, or have I missed something?

russbost

posted on 23/3/08 at 08:07 PM Reply With Quote
"Doesn't the union in the wilwood unscrew and the braided line screw in directly, or have I missed something?"
- No, in their wisdom Wilwood use 1/8 27 NPT threads in their calipers.

I obviously have a vested interest here as I would happily sell you new braided lines made to your exact specs for £15 each if less than 0.5m - but I certainly wouldn't use an adapter to join the 2 male ends as you are going to finish up with a heavy unwieldy lump flexing the caliper adapter end. Just my humble opinion.

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
skippad

posted on 24/3/08 at 09:19 AM Reply With Quote
ive just been fitting front wilwoods yesterday and the male end of braided hose screwed into caliper ok and did'nt leak.
Thought all was ok until i tried full lock and found hose little short...bugger!
So i'll need to change longer hoses!
Do u think i've damaged the caliper seat where male fits into caliper?

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Jon Ison

posted on 24/3/08 at 09:29 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nitram38
Doesn't the union in the wilwood unscrew and the braided line screw in directly, or have I missed something?

Don't think so, that's what I did.

skippad

posted on 24/3/08 at 09:41 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jon Ison
quote:

Does that mean it did'nt fit properly?

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
skippad

posted on 24/3/08 at 10:05 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by skippad
quote:
quote:

Does that mean it did'nt fit properly?

Ah!! i see now...it did fit! (sorry me hangover's just clearing)

cloudy

posted on 24/3/08 at 11:38 AM Reply With Quote
Worth buying the right ones, I have some of russ' brake lines - top notch

James

quote:
Originally posted by russbost
"Doesn't the union in the wilwood unscrew and the braided line screw in directly, or have I missed something?"
- No, in their wisdom Wilwood use 1/8 27 NPT threads in their calipers.

I obviously have a vested interest here as I would happily sell you new braided lines made to your exact specs for £15 each if less than 0.5m - but I certainly wouldn't use an adapter to join the 2 male ends as you are going to finish up with a heavy unwieldy lump flexing the caliper adapter end. Just my humble opinion.

gazza285

posted on 24/3/08 at 12:13 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:

No you didn't, not if you mean the Wilwoods I bought off you, those had a female end on the flexy.

DO NOT PUT ON KNOB OR BOLLOCKS!

Johneturbo

posted on 24/3/08 at 03:01 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
ive just been fitting front wilwoods yesterday and the male end of braided hose screwed into caliper ok and did'nt leak.
Thought all was ok until i tried full lock and found hose little short...bugger!

I did try that but found it went a few turns (by hand) then went tight the wilwood adapter screws in all the way by hand.
what braided lines have you got skippad?

Jon Ison

posted on 24/3/08 at 03:18 PM Reply With Quote
Here's a pic of mine, scuse the rust. Rescued attachment willys.JPG
Rescued attachment willys.JPG

The Great Fandango

posted on 24/3/08 at 11:13 PM Reply With Quote
Oh poo!

Seems I have found myself in a similar situation to others on here?

My lovely new group-buy Wilwood Powerlite calipes are now mounted correctly to the front of the car.

Problem 1:
The braided flexi lines are now too short to allow full lock

Problem 2:
The Wilwoods come with a brass connector making the situation male to male.

I presume you don't actually have to use the supplied connectors if you can find a braided line that fits straight in?

Can someone suggest where to get hold of (or point out an exact set) of suitable flexi lines?

I'm a complete beginner when it comes to brakes lines and flexi lines. Heck, I had just spent 3 months working out which calipers to purchase... The whole thing can sometimes really get me down.

[Edited on 24/3/08 by The Great Fandango]

He Who Dies With The Most Toys Dies The Happiest

skippad

posted on 24/3/08 at 11:52 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Johneturbo
quote:

I did try that but found it went a few turns (by hand) then went tight the wilwood adapter screws in all the way by hand.
what braided lines have you got skippad?

The braided lines are Mk standard issue.
Its all sorted now...found 1m of braided hose in back of garage cupboard which i bought a few cars ago.
Also found enough male convex seat fittings, fitted ok into Willwood calipers NO
leaks.
All done, nice firm pedal...just needs a drive out to bed in, when it STOPS SNOWING.

russbost

posted on 25/3/08 at 05:35 PM Reply With Quote
The Wilwood calipers have a 1/8 x 27 NPT Tapered female thread, so far as I am aware they don't make them with anything else. Also so far as I am aware the only way you can get a brake line with the CORRECT Npt thread is by using the self assembly type lines which it looks as tho' Jon has from the pic he's posted - we can all see what they look like after being fitted for a few years! I don't believe anyone makes a "proper" flexy braided line with a Npt end - I certainly don't. I would supply the adapters such as I posted here

Link

I think these with a nice shiny STAINLESS steel union attached will definitely look more attractive than rust!

As regards anyone haveing damaged a "seat" there is no seat as such because Npt threads seal on the taper - hence why you shouldn't be screwing anything else in there! HTH

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.