Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Perpetualy Perplexed
Big Ali D

posted on 2/4/08 at 08:06 PM Reply With Quote
Perpetualy Perplexed

Hi to all.

After a year of reasearching/confusing myself i have finaly made a start on my McSorley+442 build.

During my year of confusion a few questions have arose that i could not find sufficient answers to, so i have decided to let the assembled engineering geniuses of this forum argue amongst yourself i the vain hope of some answers.

1- I have both a Cortina rear axle, can i use standard width rear wheelarches with the cortina axle, or will i need to make some custom ones.

2. I also have a Sierra rear axle, should i use this instead of the Cortina, either in a IRS configuration or as a De-Dion.

3. My previous attempts at building my own front wishbones to accept Sierra uprights have been less than impressive, should i splash out for a set of THESE
I seem to remember someone on here saying the mounting points on the McSorley were different to a book Locost, but the McSorley website says its the same.

Many thanks and sorry for the inevitable arguments that are about to errupt.
Alistair.

[Edited on 2/4/08 by Big Ali D]

omega 24 v6

posted on 2/4/08 at 09:34 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Alistair how far into your build are you?? If not to far then I'd urge you to SERIOUSLY reconsider building a 442. I'm building a 442 and it's been a trial at times when it need not have been. Also about one year into my build I went and looked at a fellow builder ( CalvinX) panther gts. The amount of room in it was more than enough for me and the body work bonnet etc were high enough to get an xe engine in (many book cars are tight to get higher engines into).
The mounting points for the front suspension are indeed the same as a book built car BUT (and heres the rub) the bottom rails of a 442 do not have the same angle/run as a book car and as such the brackets end up in thin air (look in my archive for pics).
Also when it comes to bodywork you've not really got any choice but to make your own (really time consuming) I'm lucky cause I've got contacts who can help me out with some of these parts but boy oh boy there are times when I just wish I'd built a book chassis (with maybe 2" extra height) from the start. The trouble is you'll be so far into and comitted to the build that it'll be to late to change your mind. ( hind sight and all that).
Any questions feel free to ask or u2u me no problem. As for your axle?? I'm using a capri with a 52" width between the brake backplates what size is your cortina?? I've got a set of 12" wide rear wings (someone on here will help you out I'm sure ).

Go and think about it ,go and try some cars for size there will be some around you from here perhaps. Ask any questions you want/need to.
Good luck.

If it looks wrong it probably is wrong.

Mr Whippy

posted on 2/4/08 at 11:41 PM Reply With Quote
hmm kind of wondering if you say you struggled making some wishbones are you going to build a chassis, which to be honest makes wishbones look like a doddle...

Sorry but I don't get your reasoning behind using these plans when I personally think you'd be better following the either the second Champion book for the Cortina back end or Chris's IRS book for the Sierra one. Doing so would mean you knew where to get the body work that would fit and have the all little important details of fitting parts (column, brakes, engine mounting etc etc) that are covered in the books, Chris's one especially does well in this aspect.

Another option would be to buy a kit from somewhere like MK or Robin Hood etc that has the hard work done for you plus you can get special deals for packages. They may seem expensive at first but building cars is not cheap at all, regardless of the original ridiculous £250 estimate, expect to spend many times that amount probably by a factor of ten at best.

It may seem all doom and gloom but it's important to get off on the right foot with these projects and there are many options still open to you.

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
speedyxjs

posted on 3/4/08 at 08:40 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
They may seem expensive at first but building cars is not cheap at all, regardless of the original ridiculous £250 estimate, expect to spend many times that amount probably by a factor of ten at best.

Mine looks like it is going to cost less than £1500

How long can i resist the temptation to drop a V8 in?

Big Ali D

posted on 3/4/08 at 09:25 AM Reply With Quote
Not exactly the answers i was hoping for, but thank you for your wisdom,

I have already made the basic chassis, which i found relatively simple, but now i guess i need to start looking for alternatives, and i really wanted to go down the self build route.

I have got the Locost book, the Tiger avon book, and the Haynes Roadster book, which one of these offers the most room in the cockpit, (i am not worried about fitting components to the car, but fitting myself might be a struggle)

The only car i have ever tried to get in was a Robin Hood that a friend had, and i would of had to saw off my legs at the knee to even get in it let alone drive.

omega 24 v6

posted on 3/4/08 at 09:41 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

TextI have already made the basic chassis, which i found relatively simple, but now i guess i need to start looking for alternatives, and i really wanted to go down the self build route.

As I said you'll be to far in and commited. I'd carry on (Idid) Many of the problems can be solved and it'll be more of a challenge,but hey if your up for it then keep going. Most of the running gear is the same anyway. I'd use your cortina live axle though as it's easier than making/setting up rear wishbones.
Ask as many questions as you like and If I can I'll answer them and send pics of mine.

Big Ali D

posted on 3/4/08 at 11:39 AM Reply With Quote
Omega: How did you overcome the differences in the mounting points, did you extend the wishbones or use spacers for the brackets?
omega 24 v6

posted on 3/4/08 at 11:59 AM Reply With Quote
I made up some bracketry to attach to the chassis.

rear bracket
rear bracket

And a 10mm piece of flat bar welded to the back of a std bracket here.

SVA acceptable?
SVA acceptable?

If you need close up images I can email them to you as I have a heap of pics that are not in my archive (tedious and boring resizing them and uploading so I tend only to post questions and solutions).
Ask if you need any specifics and I'll see what I can do.

Big Ali D

posted on 3/4/08 at 12:10 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for that, i think i have all the answers i need for now. (Probably going to need a lot more later on)

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.