Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Driveshafts / Floor
Simon

posted on 1/7/02 at 01:50 PM Reply With Quote
Driveshafts / Floor

Hi all,

I'm using Sierra IRS complete, and I'd like to know how horizontal the driveshafts have to be i.e. does the diff output have to be at the same height at centre of wheel. Just trying to figure out where the subframe is to be mounted. I'm guessing it will, in order for IRS unit to retain correct geometry.

Also, what have people done with the floor - seam, tack, plug or spot welded?

Thanks and regards

Simon

theconrodkid

posted on 1/7/02 at 04:36 PM Reply With Quote
Keep the drive shafts as horizontal as pos,i riveted my floor in,using ex ww2 aircraft rivets,dosnt leak or vibrate
stephen_gusterson

posted on 1/7/02 at 04:49 PM Reply With Quote
I think you will find that on the sierra / granada the shafts are level but pointed a bit to the front or rear - i have a haynes manual at home that makes it look that way in a photo from underneath the car.

The shafts have some sideways play in them to help them scribe through the suspension arc. Its a bit like how bump steer changes the 'length' of the steering arms. There is a program in the files area of TOL that allows yo to calc movement according to the geometry figures you enter.

I welded my floor. Fully. Prevented the need to seal it. However, if you do that, weld intermittently in lots different places or the floor will buckle. You might also want to think about putting more cross bracing under the seat or the floor may move and ping a bit.

atb

steve

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.