Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Tyre sizes 8x13inch Alloys
Rallye_Mark

posted on 23/5/08 at 04:16 PM Reply With Quote
Tyre sizes 8x13inch Alloys

Hi guys,

I was just wondering what peoples opinions were on tyre sizes for my compomotive ML1380's which are 13inch by 8 inch wide? I have been looking at the Kumho V70's and perhaps running 215/45/13's on the front and 235/45/13's on the back, how does this sound?

The car will be used for track days and hillclimbs, what are peoples opinions on these tyre sizes?

Thanks Mark

Wadders

posted on 23/5/08 at 04:34 PM Reply With Quote
What engine you running mark?
On the face of it, they sound a bit wide TBH
i would think 205's all round would be ok, unless its a mega powered beasty.

Al.

Originally posted by Rallye_Mark
Hi guys,

I was just wondering what peoples opinions were on tyre sizes for my compomotive ML1380's which are 13inch by 8 inch wide? I have been looking at the Kumho V70's and perhaps running 215/45/13's on the front and 235/45/13's on the back, how does this sound?

The car will be used for track days and hillclimbs, what are peoples opinions on these tyre sizes?

Thanks Mark

Rallye_Mark

posted on 23/5/08 at 04:37 PM Reply With Quote
It is going to be an R1 engine, my main worry was about keeping heat in the front tyres if they are too wide, but I was wondering if 205mm will look stretched on an 8 inch wide alloy wheel? Would 215mm and 235mm be ok?
JimGTI

posted on 23/5/08 at 04:54 PM Reply With Quote
i've just bought some 8 inch wides wheels and planning on going for 205/215's.

Any wider and the tyres tend to bulge a bit and handling gets a bit spongey (or so i've read)

russbost

posted on 23/5/08 at 05:27 PM Reply With Quote
I have 245's on my 8" rims - admittedly they are 18's not 13's but I would have said 205's would be very stretched on 8" rims - 225/235 is more like it.

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
Mark Allanson

posted on 23/5/08 at 07:51 PM Reply With Quote
I had never heard of a road tyre in 13" wider than 205 (2.8 capri), where would you get these from?

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

Rallye_Mark

posted on 23/5/08 at 08:46 PM Reply With Quote
They are just the Kumho V70's I was looking at on camskill, heres the link for the 215 and 235 tyres.

http://www.camskill.co.uk/products.php?plid=m12b0s673p0

http://www.camskill.co.uk/products.php?plid=m12b0s686p0

They are road legal and Wide

ChrisGamlin

posted on 23/5/08 at 09:20 PM Reply With Quote
Ive got 205/60-13s Yoko 48s on a 7.5" rim on the back of my R1 Locost and they're fine, but I'd check with the supplier to check the tyres you chose are OK on an 8" rim because the V70s are lower profile so won't accomodate such a variation in rim width. The advantage of having a comparatively wide rim with a high profile tyre is that it keeps the tyre more stable. With a 6" rim, the same tyres would roll its outside edge on track but with the 7.5" rim they're a lot more stable so wear more evenly.

Rear Wheel
Rear Wheel

With an R1 I wouldnt go any higher than 205 though personally, with 185's on the front. Ive driven with 205's on the front and they aren't as sharp turning in as with 185s on, so Id be looking for some narrower rims TBH.

[Edited on 23/5/08 by ChrisGamlin]

RichieW

posted on 23/5/08 at 09:22 PM Reply With Quote
Ears motorsport do them too.(215 50 13) They are listed on their website at least. I've bought a set of 8x13s for the back of my car. I like the deep dish look. Fronts are going to be a bit more sensible. I've gone with 6 inch rims

http://www.ears.co.uk

[Edited on 23/5/08 by RichieW]

Wadders

posted on 23/5/08 at 10:41 PM Reply With Quote
205 888's on 8.5" rims

Description
Description

Description
Description

[Edited on 23/5/08 by Wadders]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.