Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Radiator Fan Switch for 2.0L Pinto Indy
GH1985

posted on 1/7/08 at 04:56 PM Reply With Quote
Radiator Fan Switch for 2.0L Pinto Indy

Hi everyone, hope you are all enjoying the nice weather!

I've been searching on the forum about this and haven't had much luck. And I can't seem to find a telephone number for MK at the moment, as their website is not up and running yet.

So here I am... I've got one of the MK radiators and need a fan switch for it. I measured that it needed to be a M22 thread, and read it needed to be a pitch of 1.5, with a 2 pin electrical connection.

But does anybody know what temperatures would be suitable for a 2 litre pinto engine? I have bought one which will turn the fan on at 95 degrees and off at 85 degrees. Does this seem about right? I looked at the Haynes guide to see if it had any information, and then remembered it hasn't got a fan switch as it has one of those thermo-viscous fans.

Any help, guidance, or suggestions would be most appreciated and will help put my mind at rest - afterall I don't want to overheat my 'beautiful' Pinto engine

Thanks, Graham.

Oh just thought, the haynes guide said that the thermostat opens at between 85 and 89 degrees and has a nominal temperature rating of 88 degrees.

James

posted on 1/7/08 at 05:11 PM Reply With Quote
I used (I think) a Golf rad switch as it fitted my Golf (same as Polo but wider) rad.

There are several different switching temps for Golfs... I just went for the one closest to the Sierra's temps.

Make sure you choose the two pin, not the three.

Cheers,
James

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

GH1985

posted on 1/7/08 at 05:17 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks James, any more help with the temperatures will be greatly received!
James

posted on 1/7/08 at 05:33 PM Reply With Quote
I avoided posting the figures as couldn't remember!

But I'm 99% sure they're in the Haynes manual.

HTH,
James

EDIT: I should add, I've not driven the car with this rad/fan as I've only recently got it running. On a stationary test of 20-30minutes though it worked fine.

[Edited on 1/7/08 by James]

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

mad-butcher

posted on 1/7/08 at 05:46 PM Reply With Quote
I'd be quite happy with a range like that, better safe than sorry.
Tony

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
snapper

posted on 1/7/08 at 06:14 PM Reply With Quote
switches usually have an on and off temp aqbout 4 degs apart so on 88 degs and off 84 degs for the Pinto

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

LBMEFM

posted on 1/7/08 at 06:35 PM Reply With Quote
Vauxhall Cavalier rad switches are a perfect fit.
Barry

RobH

posted on 1/7/08 at 07:52 PM Reply With Quote
I think Snapper is right, but ring Burton they can tell you and supply the switch.

http://www.burtonpower.com/Default.aspx

Rob

martinq357

posted on 2/7/08 at 06:45 PM Reply With Quote
Graham,

I just brought one from GSF for the Polo rad but the thread is the same as the std. MK rad:

https://secure.gsfcarparts.com/shop/results.asp

I ended up with the 93470 near the bottom of the page. It was actually 88deg ON, 79deg OFF.

Regards

Martin.

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.