Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Engineer-built chassis'?
gsand

posted on 11/12/03 at 02:42 AM Reply With Quote
Engineer-built chassis'?

Anyone know roughly what sort of cost i'd be looking at for my chassis to be built by an enginering firm? I am perfectly capable of building a chassis but i really dont have the time, space and tools needed

4st Insanity

Maybee i should start wearing a Welding mask.....

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
David Jenkins

posted on 11/12/03 at 08:23 AM Reply With Quote
If you're looking for a standard chassis then you might as well buy a ready-made one from the usual suspects (Luego, MK or ST).

The quality will be higher than one from somebody who's building one for the first time, and the labour cost will be far, far lower - I don't know how long MK takes to build a chassis on a jig, but I bet it's measured in hours, not days!

good hunting!

David

Ben_Copeland

posted on 11/12/03 at 08:49 AM Reply With Quote
UNfortunately, looks like gsand lives in australia. Which makes it difficult to buy from (MK, Luego, etc)

Dont know if their are any chassis suppliers in australia. It'll be pricy if you get an engineering company to do it tho!

Ben

Locost Map on Google Maps

Z20LET Astra Turbo, into a Haynes Roadster

Enter Your Details Here
http://www.facebook.com/EquinoxProducts for all your bodywork needs!

James

posted on 11/12/03 at 10:00 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ben_Copeland
UNfortunately, looks like gsand lives in australia. Which makes it difficult to buy from (MK, Luego, etc)

Dont know if their are any chassis suppliers in australia. It'll be pricy if you get an engineering company to do it tho!

I've forgotten how much Martin told me it cost to ship a chassis and it was suprisingly little.

Gsand,

Give MK a call and see what they can do- they ship cars all over the place!

HTH,

James

Hugh Paterson

posted on 11/12/03 at 10:02 AM Reply With Quote
Oz chassis builder

If anyone can point u in the right direction I would think it might be Rorty, the shipping costs from here might be a bit prohibitive
Shug.

David Jenkins

posted on 11/12/03 at 10:04 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ben_Copeland

Oops!

May find that UK-made chassis won't meet the strict ADR stiffness requirements.

Might be a good idea to post this question on the Yahoo Locost list for Australians (anyone remember the list name?). Perhaps they can suggest a solution.

David

Simon

posted on 11/12/03 at 03:28 PM Reply With Quote
gsand,

Once you've got the chassis, you'll need somewhere to put it, so you might as well making it yourself, as you WILL find space

You should be able to build the chassis in a couple of days, quite easily.

As for not having the tools, all you'll need is a vice/hacksaw/file and some welding equipment - £200 tops.

ATB

Simon

VinceGledhill

posted on 11/12/03 at 05:26 PM Reply With Quote
May I recommend building it yourself. I did and followed the McSorley Drawings.

Take a look at http://mcsorley.net/locost/default.htm you can print out the drawings, follow these (acurate not with mistakes like the book)

You will feel much better about yourself and your car if you are building it. Also If you are going to buy a welder for the job get the best one you can afford. It will (welder included) still be cheaper than buying one made by someone else.

Regards
Vince Gledhill
Time Served Auto Electrician
Lucas Leeds 1979-1983

blueshift

posted on 11/12/03 at 06:51 PM Reply With Quote
I have recently been CADing up the chassis myself with reference to the mcsorley plans.. I have noticed some of the dimensions are off by 1mm with respect to each other, presumably rounding errors.

doubt anyone would notice this in a physical build, but thought I'd mention.. apart from that the mcsorley plans are top nutsack (australians, this means good)

gsand

posted on 12/12/03 at 12:52 AM Reply With Quote
I want to built it myself.... But if i did id be frightened of giving up half way through. Well not 'giving up' but losing interest .
And hte fact that i dont have a MIG, only ARC .

And yes, the standard Locost chassis does NOT meet Australian design requirments (ADR), which is a bitch. But that said, it isnt difficult to modify a MK chassis or the like with the extra bracing. One other thing, regarding ADR's. Our engine choices are cut down quite alot. Not only do we not have such abumdant access to motors such as teh Pinto and XFlow, but if the engineer going over the car for what you call SVA decideds that an emmisions test will be needed, you have to pay $2500 for that . The only alternative to this huge unecessary cost is to use an engine that is manufatured in Australia after 1998 (I think) or get a nice laid-back person to do the testeng who wouldnt actually care..

4st Insanity

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
TheGecko

posted on 12/12/03 at 01:22 AM Reply With Quote
Gsand (real name is?),

You really need to get onto the Locost_Oz mailing list and ask these questions. There are at least 25 cars either under construction or on the road in Adelaide and plenty of helpful owners and builders who can point you in the right direction.

Re buying vs building a chassis - I believe there are at least two different suppliers of Locost chassis' in Oz - one in Queensland and the other somewhere in NSW. Once again ask on the Locost_Oz list.

If you are worried about losing interest half way through building a chassis you shouldn't even be considering a build! Making the chassis is a lot less than 50% of the job (less than 10% according to some builders). Don't have a MIG? Buy one. Even if you buy a pre-built chassis, you're going to want to weld on brackets etc Look around for a quality used MIG and be surprised at how affordable they can be (I wish I'd gone that route sometimes).

On the topic of engines - it is VERY unlikely that you'll find an engineer in Oz (except maybe for Tasmania) who'll pass anything less than an ADR37/00 compliant engine. There's still a number of alternatives and more presenting themselves as times goes by eg one builder in Sydney is using the 1ZZ-FE motor from a current model Corolla. This motor also has the advantage of being considerably lighter than the commonly used 4A-GE 20-valve.

I said it before but I'll say it again - join the Locost_Oz list (just click on the link) and ask there.

Best regards,

Dominic
Brisbane, Australia

pbura

posted on 12/12/03 at 04:27 AM Reply With Quote
Building in Oz

Just passing along a couple of favorite links:

http://www.locost7.info/ - Look in the 'Files' section under 'Chassis'

http://au.geocities.com/phil1rowe4/ - Phil's chassis kicked butt on the torsion beam test.

Best of luck!

Pete

Pete

gsand

posted on 12/12/03 at 05:46 AM Reply With Quote
If there's one thing I hate, its html forums such as the Yahoo Lists.

4st Insanity

TheGecko

posted on 12/12/03 at 06:24 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gsand
If there's one thing I hate, its html forums such as the Yahoo Lists.

Hmmm, Dominic clicks right mouse button, selects 'View Page Source', sees lots of HTML. Damn, looks like this one is HTML as well

I'm on both thread based forums like this one and email based ones like Yahoo and I like and dislike aspects of both. On an email based list, I can see instantly what the 10 new messages in the last hour are because they're right at the top of the list. However, to see what's new on a particular discussion thread, I have to do some mental gymnastics and sorting/searching.

The best thing about an email based list is that I can get up in the mrning and have 30 new messages sitting ready to be read quickly before I go to work. On a threaded forum like this, I have to click on each section in turn if there's new messages in it; wait for that to load; click on any threads that have new messages; wait for that to load; scroll to the bottom and read the new entries (remembering where I read up to the previous day); click on [Page 2] if the threads gone more than 20 replies; wait for that to load; etc, etc, etc..... Can you tell I don't always like it

If you're staying off the Locost_Oz list because you don't like the format than you're doing yourself a huge diservice. I don't think many of the builders of _conventional_ Locosts in Australia hang out on this list.

My recommendation? Get over your dislike of the Yahoo groups and ask for info in a place where you'll get answers to those particularly Australian questions.

Best regards,

Dominic

gsand

posted on 12/12/03 at 09:45 AM Reply With Quote
Sorry to be geeky, but this whole forum is coded in .php

4st Insanity

gsand

posted on 12/12/03 at 09:47 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Simon
As for not having the tools, all you'll need is a vice/hacksaw/file and some welding equipment - £200 tops.

I have all the tools, but i really dont trust my ARC welds with steel so thin... Unless i spend lots and lots of time over my holidays now, i dont think i can quite call my self a pro ARC welder

4st Insanity

Ben_Copeland

posted on 12/12/03 at 11:43 AM Reply With Quote
It doesn't have to be done in 6 weeks you know.... you can take your time over it. Sh*t mines into its 5th year.

Learn to weld properly. Better sense of achievement!!!!

Ben

Locost Map on Google Maps

Z20LET Astra Turbo, into a Haynes Roadster

Enter Your Details Here
http://www.facebook.com/EquinoxProducts for all your bodywork needs!

ProjectLMP

posted on 12/12/03 at 04:32 PM Reply With Quote
Why not just tack weld the chassis together using your setup and than get it professionally MIG welded. Probably easier to find someone who would do this as opposed to totally building a chassis.

Home of the Astronomicalcost Mid engined LMP project

gsand

posted on 13/12/03 at 12:06 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

Why not just tack weld the chassis together using your setup and than get it professionally MIG welded. Probably easier to find someone who would do this as opposed to totally building a chassis.

Well, that is a very good idea, but i've been told that you would have to completely grind off all the ARC weld so you can do a good Mig weld. Apparently, they dont go together all that easily. But heh, Ill still probaly do that! Excellent idea buddy! BTW, one of me dad's mates has a nice MIG i reckon i can do all the final welding in a day or two... Im purrdy good MIG'er

4st Insanity

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.