Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: decisions to make
paul2k1uk

posted on 1/8/08 at 09:48 PM Reply With Quote
decisions to make

First of all i would like to say hello and welcome my self to a great site, which i know will be like a bible to me and i hope i can add some of my own input to this great community.

Currently own a Evo 6 and its for sale btw lol Im really looking at building my self my own track car, but along theses lines...

* Single Seater
* Rear Engined
* Powered by a Suzuki Hayabusa 1300 engine

The problem im haven being a newbie is where im gonna start. I dont seem to find any plans for a light single seater chassis that aint gonna be to light in the corners so i have some control somewhere.

Any pointers to look at for single seater chassis

This prob wants to be in the chassis section but im also looking after any views on anything that would make me change to 2 seaters etc. Tbh i want light enough to be stupid fast but heavy enough to give me some good grip in the corners.

Btw this is track only toy so i dont plan on register it with dvla ever

Thanks people. look forward to your replys
:beer:

paul the 6th

posted on 1/8/08 at 10:08 PM Reply With Quote
hiya mate, welcome to the mad house and all that...

Think a few people might ask this but what level of experience have you got when it comes to building? Just wondered since this will have a bit of a say in terms of whether you could design & build yourself...

I haven't even started my build yet but if it's your first ever build, I'd be tempted to go for the haynes roadster or original 'locost' since there's a book for both of 'em and LOTS of guidance on here... You can also stick a bike engine (aka "B.E.C." = bike engined car) in both the roadster & locost designs, and if you did ever want to, you could make them road legal and drive them to & from the track failing that, sod the sva and make one for track use only. The average weight on the locost seems to be about the 500kg mark, so a turbo'd busa engine in a locost would be seriously rapid - although I guess you'd need to uprate alot of the drive system, gearbox, drive shaft, brakes etc...

failing that, there's a guy on here who's designed and built his own car and dubbed it a "mota leira" which from memory is a single seater mini f1 style car, and it's road legal! just can't remember his name lol

GoDesign.me.uk - Self Adhesive Vinyl Artwork, Wide Format Printed Artwork and Customised Heat Pressed Clothing...

--------

http://picasaweb.google.com/haynesroadster - Roadster Photo Build Log

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
big_wasa

posted on 1/8/08 at 10:12 PM Reply With Quote
No plans but plenty of diy hints and tips

Link

Link 2

Hope this helps

paul the 6th

posted on 1/8/08 at 10:15 PM Reply With Quote
found it!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=270249393243&ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT#ebayphotohosting

he's on here as "Nitram38" could be helpful

GoDesign.me.uk - Self Adhesive Vinyl Artwork, Wide Format Printed Artwork and Customised Heat Pressed Clothing...

--------

http://picasaweb.google.com/haynesroadster - Roadster Photo Build Log

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
Chippy

posted on 1/8/08 at 10:21 PM Reply With Quote
ChrisG on here is in the process of doing a book, with plans Build Your Own Single Seater for Haynes. Don't know how far he has got with it, may be worth asking him. HTH Ray

To make a car go faster, just add lightness. Colin Chapman - OR - fit a bigger engine. Chippy

paul2k1uk

posted on 1/8/08 at 10:24 PM Reply With Quote
Yeah i been looking through his website(s) seems like a interesting site but tbh thats a hell of alot of work, esp the bodywork.

cheers for the hints and just to let you know i haven't built a car before and that what leads me to just use a pre-built shell and go from there. but most are front engined and somehow i cant see a chain running to well from the front to the back lol

I have no worries building it, i have a very good welder at hand and my dad has built car transporters once upon-a-time so getting this right shouldn't be a problem. If i could see a way from running a chain from back to front without haven to run a prop and a full ford rear diff then im game on for a two seater. but agreed that a custom shell will take a while to get right, esp as i dont plan on killing my self with it :p

Thanks for the welcomes

:beer:

worX

posted on 1/8/08 at 11:00 PM Reply With Quote
Welcome to the forum.

Is it the building you really want to do or the driving?

There is a car for sale here:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=94306
That is virtually what you are asking for.

Alternately you could contact Kev at RoadRunnerRacing and speak to him about his new car.

Next to those things you can get onto PH in the racecar section and try and find something there to modify!
Tegwin did it on here, search for his posts.

Someone else who also has a great single seater is a guy called Wyn. Username is lsdweb, I think. Search his posts and photo archives for inspiration.

You can also send him a U2U for some friendly advice!

All the best,
Steve.

indykid

posted on 1/8/08 at 11:10 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by paul2k1uk
but most are front engined and somehow i cant see a chain running to well from the front to the back lol

erm....not to assume too much of your nooob status, but are you aware that front engined rear wheel drive bike engined cars use a propshaft? a prop adaptor bolts in place of the drive sprocket and the engine is rotated 90 degrees so the prop can bolt on.

sorry, just re read your last post but i don't see your problem with the prop and diff. a bike engined seven is blisteringly quick whichever way you cut it. using a chain drive and chopped up diff over a prop and full diff with housing can only equate to 20kgs saving, tops.

tom

[Edited on 1/8/08 by indykid]

les g

posted on 2/8/08 at 09:21 AM Reply With Quote
hi
checkout mk engineering,s website he is building a small bike engined car rear engine rear wheel drive called the mk midi
photos as well now on site
cheers les g

paul2k1uk

posted on 2/8/08 at 10:40 AM Reply With Quote
Cheers for the details

Just to clear up a few things. Ive been around cars mechanically for 6-7 years. From bodywork to building engines. Iv even cut back end of cars off to replace full inside and outside panel, aint fun that esp on a vauxhall :p

I dont think im a full n00bie, I kinda know where i want to go with this. It helps my dad has the skills putting trailers together from scratch. and my mate works in steel works to aid with A+ welding but im not that bad welding my self i think.

Im really happy with the input so far and shall be ordering some of them books linked and will go from there

Thanks again guys

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.