Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Transit Balljoints
Ian Pearson

posted on 23/12/03 at 11:51 PM Reply With Quote
Transit Balljoints

Compliments of the Festive Season to you all.

Moving my build for the 3rd time. Started the car for the first time today,and drove it on to the trailer. Big smile.

My transit ball joints will not tighten to the extent that any thread is visible through the nyloc. There was a post on this ages ago, but I don't remember anyone having any advice on the subject. Anyone out there have the same problem??

greggors84

posted on 24/12/03 at 01:49 AM Reply With Quote
Not sure if its the same problem but one of my track rod end ball joints just rotates so the nut has tightened onto it but wont tightened up any more or come off! i can just split the nut and put a new rod end on, but why has this happened just so it doesnt happen again.

Sorry for the hijack, but its along the same lines

Thanks

Chris

The Magnificent 7!

Rorty

posted on 24/12/03 at 03:48 AM Reply With Quote
Ian, I'm not building a Locost nor using any Cortina uprights, so I can't help you compare, however I may have a clue as to what's going on.
Ford used two different rod-ends in the Transit steering system: the tie-rod end (outer end of the tie-rod) has a M20 x 1.5 male thread, while the drag link (inner end of the tie-rod) has a M18 x 1.5 male thread. Now I've used both of them on various projects over the years, and have mainly been interested in their thread size. But I now wonder if the M20 tie-rod end is actually an over-all larger beast i.e. a larger diameter taper as well. That might explain why it's not sitting as far into the Cortina taper seat as it possibly should.
The best solution may be to take your "tie-rod end" to a motor factor, and compare with both the tie-rod end and the drag link end.
I'll be able to confirm the sizes in early January, as I'm starting a new project that will be using both the Transit rod ends.
Anybody else know if the tapers are identical or not?

greggors84, hit the top of the rod end a sharp blow with a rubber mallett to drive the taper stud into the taper seat in the upright. Once the tapers interfere, you'll be able to remove the nut.

Cheers, Rorty.

"Faster than a speeding Pullet".

PLEASE DON'T U2U ME IF YOU WANT A QUICK RESPONSE. TRY EMAILING ME INSTEAD!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
theconrodkid

posted on 24/12/03 at 08:22 AM Reply With Quote
Ian you can get "half nuts"ie half the height of normals or use castleated nuts and splitpins,will mean drillong joint tho.

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

jcduroc

posted on 24/12/03 at 04:09 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rorty
Anybody else know if the tapers are identical or not?

According to QH drawings taper's the same for both (QR1408 - M20 and QD117 - M18), 1/8.

Cheers
Joćo

JCM

Ian Pearson

posted on 25/12/03 at 09:59 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers Rorty & John.
paulf

posted on 26/12/03 at 10:25 PM Reply With Quote
I think this is a commonly found problem, i found the nuts to be to thick also and the thread would not reach the nylon at all. I didnt want to reduce the thickness of the nuts so set the uprights in a milling machine and removed about 3mm from the mating face , this just lets the nuts srew on until the thread is protruding by a couple of threads. I have heard of others doing the same thing and think it is preferable to reducing the retaining nut thickness.
If you do not have access to a milling machine it would not be to expensive to shop out, the main thing is to make sure that the face remains square to the taper and nut face.
Paul.
quote:
Originally posted by Ian Pearson
My transit ball joints will not tighten to the extent that any thread is visible through the nyloc. There was a post on this ages ago, but I don't remember anyone having any advice on the subject. Anyone out there have the same problem??

Rorty

posted on 28/12/03 at 05:36 AM Reply With Quote
paulf:
quote:

I....set the uprights in a milling machine and removed about 3mm from the mating face .... I have heard of others doing the same thing and think it is preferable to reducing the retaining nut thickness.

Au contraire! I think it would be preferable to retain the meat around the taper, and fit a half/thin Nyloc nut. The taper of the ball pin will become almost as one with the taper seat in the upright. The longer the union, the stronger the union. The nut is just there for little more than decoration.

Cheers, Rorty.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
type 907

posted on 28/12/03 at 10:06 AM Reply With Quote
Hi All

There must be a variation somewhere.
I got mine from Robin Hood Eng & they seem OK as you can see, just through the nylon. The lug is 22mm thick, but I can't see that this would vary, so it must be in the B/J. I personaly wouldn't have a problem with taking the odd mil off the lug but obviously its best if you don't have to. Wouldn't use a half nut but once again the odd mil taken off it in a lathe, I would be happy with.

Paul G Rescued attachment tranny ball joint 002s.jpg
Rescued attachment tranny ball joint 002s.jpg

Too much is just enough

paulf

posted on 28/12/03 at 12:52 PM Reply With Quote
Rorty
I fully understand your point and would have been inclined to do the same, but the taper does not come fully through the forging as the threaded part is within the taper.Therefore i have lost little mating area.
Ideally the taper should be opened up to achieve the desired result but i didnt have a reamer handy and i think there is more room for error in that case.
Paul.
quote:
Originally posted by Rorty
paulf:
quote:

I....set the uprights in a milling machine and removed about 3mm from the mating face .... I have heard of others doing the same thing and think it is preferable to reducing the retaining nut thickness.

Au contraire! I think it would be preferable to retain the meat around the taper, and fit a half/thin Nyloc nut. The taper of the ball pin will become almost as one with the taper seat in the upright. The longer the union, the stronger the union. The nut is just there for little more than decoration.

Rorty

posted on 29/12/03 at 02:20 AM Reply With Quote
Point taken.

Cheers, Rorty.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.