Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: hand brake questions. mechanical? electric? other?
blakep82

posted on 26/8/08 at 07:14 PM Reply With Quote
hand brake questions. mechanical? electric? other?

is there any rules on which side of the driver seat the lever has to be on? i don't think so, but want to be double sure. as long as it can be reached/operated i think

has anyone on here managed to do some kind of electric hand brake yet? i'd like one, i haven't got anywhere on my pickup to mount a normal lever, the tunnels not strong enough. the seat mounts is the only place, but its tight for the seat already anyway.
a simple push button job would be nice, but i don't really get how they work

[Edited on 26/8/08 by blakep82]

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

flak monkey

posted on 26/8/08 at 07:34 PM Reply With Quote
No rules on where handbrake need to be, but should be easily operable from the driving position so i was told at SVA.

So how some people get away with them under the passenger side of the dash is beyond me...

David

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

yamapinto

posted on 26/8/08 at 08:26 PM Reply With Quote
Electric handbrake

I have fitted an electric handbrake to my mk it is made from a sunroof motor that turns through a bevel gear set up that operates a screw thread to pull the handbrake cable all operated by a dash mounted toggle switch and it fits in the mk transmition tunnel.
blakep82

posted on 26/8/08 at 08:31 PM Reply With Quote
have you sva'd yours yet/with it fitted?
I'm not entirely convinced electric ones are any more reliable than say a hydraulic line lock, but i see electric ones on production cars, so would be quite good.

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

yamapinto

posted on 26/8/08 at 08:40 PM Reply With Quote
I sva'd the car a long time ago but it has been through an mot the way its made once applied it cannot come off even if the power is cut this gets round the rule of it failing over time if left on (that is the problem with hydrolic ones) it is also only opporational with the imobaliser chip and ignition key in (to stop idiots turning the handbrake off for fun)
omega 24 v6

posted on 26/8/08 at 08:44 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

hydraulic line lock

Sva fail that one. It has to be a mechanical type handbrake i.e. separate from the hydraulic lines. Electric should be OK but don't quote me

If it looks wrong it probably is wrong.

blakep82

posted on 26/8/08 at 08:45 PM Reply With Quote
ah, sounds perfect! is it one you made yourself, or can it be bought anywhere?

blakep82

posted on 26/8/08 at 08:47 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by omega 24 v6
quote:

hydraulic line lock

Sva fail that one. It has to be a mechanical type handbrake i.e. separate from the hydraulic lines. Electric should be OK but don't quote me

ooh i know thats a fail i was thinking though, with electric motors pulling cables and holding them, i was thinking the motor could turn over time and release. i guess though it it turns a grub screw type gear it can't release... hmmm

martyn_16v

posted on 26/8/08 at 08:49 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by blakep82
is there any rules on which side of the driver seat the lever has to be on? i don't think so, but want to be double sure. as long as it can be reached/operated i think

My van (Scudo ) has it on the 'wrong' side between the seat and the door. I seem to remember Porsche putting it there on the 924 as well.

yamapinto

posted on 26/8/08 at 08:53 PM Reply With Quote
its one i made myself its actualy a worm wheel turning a bevel gear screwing a screw thread pulling the brake cable

it sounds complicated but it isnt realy it gives an amazing pulling power and cannot unscrew itself the reduction gearing is too great

blakep82

posted on 26/8/08 at 08:58 PM Reply With Quote
not bad

think its one for each wheel, but a lot cheaper than i'd expected

les g

posted on 26/8/08 at 09:36 PM Reply With Quote
hi blake
sometimes the cable is pulled by a spring and the electric motor works against the the spring to release the brake
ie ..in acomplete fail of every thing electrical the park brake still holds
hth
les g

mangogrooveworkshop

posted on 26/8/08 at 10:40 PM Reply With Quote
blake look at the hilux hand brake

blakep82

posted on 26/8/08 at 11:21 PM Reply With Quote
had a search but i couldn't find any info on the hilux... i did see somewhere something about a rheostat, its like a variable resistor to control it? sounds good. though i do like the idea of just a toggle swith, or push buttons, but something a bitmore variable would be cool

yamapinto

posted on 17/9/08 at 11:18 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by les g
hi blake
sometimes the cable is pulled by a spring and the electric motor works against the the spring to release the brake
ie ..in acomplete fail of every thing electrical the park brake still holds
hth
les g

That sounds a bit iff'y what if it came on while you were driving down the road?

I'd rather it fail whilst parked or not be able to get the handbrake than for it to come on when least suspecting it.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.