<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Looks like my project is dead in the water
cobra427

posted on 2/9/08 at 10:06 AM Reply With Quote
Looks like my project is dead in the water

Well....

Like I've headed this thread with.

It looks like my project is dead in the water and will never happen..

The new garage is a no-no. And i cant do anything with the old one either (3 walls only) there's been objections.

ergo - nowhere to build or keep a finished car.

So the 940 is going to the scrappers soon.

To cap it all off - Firefox has lost ALL my links in the last upgrade to the 50 or so sites i'd bookmarked - gone.

I might as well bin all the material/ books/plans etc. I'd started to collect.

There's no substitute for CC's

Benzine

posted on 2/9/08 at 10:10 AM Reply With Quote
Firefox recently wiped all mine too total PITA
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
SeaBass

posted on 2/9/08 at 10:11 AM Reply With Quote
Firefox makes a backup of bookmarks every day and stores them for about five days I think. Look on google for the method of recovering them. Had to talk my dad through it about three times after he had trouble.

JC

BenB

posted on 2/9/08 at 10:14 AM Reply With Quote
I blame the weather.....

Are there not other options?? Renting a council lock-up is a good option. You'ld have to do any noisy grinding at home (otherwise the neighbours might complain and most council lock-up agreements have a restriction in terms of what you can do in them (not that it stopped me...) and use battery powered tools (no mains in most lock-ups) but they're cheap.

Otherwise look further afield. Where there's a will there's a way and all that!!! Old farm buildings??

If your current garage has three walls then why not use it as is. You could always put a "fence" on the open end.... you wouldn't need planning and it'd do the job....

It's a hurdle but not insurmountable....

Duncan_P

posted on 2/9/08 at 10:14 AM Reply With Quote
Sorry to hear about your planning permission woes.

As an asside firefox does backup all your bookmarks. So as long as you have not been back up and running for too long and thus overwritten your old backups then it should be possible to restore your bookmarks.

I won't go into the ins and out of how to do it but do a search on google and there are guides on how to do it (written in a far more comprehensive way than if i explained)

Paul TigerB6

posted on 2/9/08 at 10:29 AM Reply With Quote
Out of interest - what were the objections to planning permission?? No way around it by changing the plans??
Benzine

posted on 2/9/08 at 10:30 AM Reply With Quote
Yeah firefox keeps the last 5 days of bookmarks, unfortunately I wasn't using the computer when they vanished and got back a week later Dead easy to recover otherwise!
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
D Beddows

posted on 2/9/08 at 10:32 AM Reply With Quote
Sorry.... I may have misunderstood this but you have an existing garage structure on your property which used to have 4 walls? but now has 3? and you want to rebuild the 4th wall? if that's the case it shouldn't have anything to do with a planning dept let alone your neighbours! (I'm an Architectural Technologist btw) If it only ever had 3 walls then as mentioned there should be no reason you can't put a 'fence' up in a suitable position which again wouldn't involve a planning dept.....
Paul TigerB6

posted on 2/9/08 at 10:35 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by D Beddows
Sorry.... I may have misunderstood this but you have an existing garage structure on your property which used to have 4 walls? but now has 3? and you want to rebuild the 4th wall? if that's the case it shouldn't have anything to do with a planning dept let alone your neighbours! (I'm an Architectural Technologist btw) If it only ever had 3 walls then as mentioned there should be no reason you can't put a 'fence' up in a suitable position which again wouldn't involve a planning dept.....

Do the regulations not allow you to rebuild up to the existing dimensions anyway???

Duncan_P

posted on 2/9/08 at 10:37 AM Reply With Quote
Some friends recently moved into a house that at first impression appeared to have a large shed in the back garden (fully legal as its classed as a temp structure) but upon closer inspection it was a concrete structure clad in shed panneling on the outside (quite ingenious, slightly cheeky and not quite so legal)

.....of course in no way would i suggest a similar course of action to anyone else ;-)

scotlad
Contributor

Posts 781
Registered 30/9/03
Location Edinburgh

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Built MK Indy Blade, RH 2b Zetec, rebuilding locos

posted on 2/9/08 at 10:38 AM Reply With Quote
My mate and i built the Indy blade in my avatar on the patio of my house from Sept 03 to Feb 04.
Was a bit chilly an had to work under a tarp a fair bit but we got there and built a great car, so it is possible to do without a garage........

Wonderous is our great blue ship that sails around the mighty sun, and joy to everyone that rides along!

D Beddows

posted on 2/9/08 at 10:42 AM Reply With Quote
Depends a bit on the type of structure/where it is on the plot/whether it's attached to the house etc etc but to be honest If it's just a case of adding a wall within the existing footprint I wouldn't have gone anywhere near a planning dept with it. If it's a lean to Carport that suddenly develops brick walls troublesome neighbours could potentially be an issue
DaveFJ

posted on 2/9/08 at 11:24 AM Reply With Quote
As an aside - on the firefox issue...

Install the plugin 'foxmarks' it stores all your bookmarks online and means you can login anywhere and your bookmarks follow you! I find it very handy - it keeps my bookmarks synchronsed between about 6 different PCs I use at work and at home... and of course I never loose them

Dave

"In Support of Help the Heroes" - Always

James

posted on 2/9/08 at 11:35 AM Reply With Quote
It strikes me....

... that a garage with only three walls is quite good....then there's room for a door to actually get the car in and out!

4 walls makes it a bit harder! :p

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

oldtimer

posted on 2/9/08 at 12:05 PM Reply With Quote
Build the wall you need as a stud wall if you can, there are also sheds with double doors - may have to put suspension/wheels/wings on later but 90% could be done inside, get some ideas from screwfix before you give up.
oldtimer

posted on 2/9/08 at 12:06 PM Reply With Quote
Build the wall you need as a stud wall if you can, there are also sheds with double doors - may have to put suspension/wheels/wings on later but 90% could be done inside, get some ideas from screwfix before you give up.
oldtimer

posted on 2/9/08 at 12:06 PM Reply With Quote
oldtimer

posted on 2/9/08 at 12:14 PM Reply With Quote
deja vu?
adam1985

posted on 2/9/08 at 12:16 PM Reply With Quote
surely if the garage is unsafe ie 3 walls then the council wont make you just leave it you could always do what i did ask all the local farmers if they have any out buildings they dont use that they want to rent ive got a barn now can fit to cars in easy plus use it as storage for my work gear and materials and it a tenner a week with leccy
Paul TigerB6

posted on 2/9/08 at 12:16 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by oldtimer
deja vu?

The site seems very slow to respond these last few days. Multiple posts are happening left right and centre - my guess is the lack of response is making people click "post reply" more than once

swanny

posted on 2/9/08 at 01:26 PM Reply With Quote
i was thinking along similar lines.

a friend had an MNR and kept it garaged in basically a big box on his drive.

certainly didnt look at all permanent, and therefore not a lot neighbours/council could do.

if for whatever reason it does need to go to planning dont give up.

my experience is that if you can get a planner for a site visit, and have your architect their too, there is often a compromise. our planner actually suggested quite a few, until we convinced him that ours was the best!

failing that, contact your local councillor. they stay in power by making local people happy and then you telling everyone, so may be interested in taking up your case, especially if you can make in terms of "law abiding citizen simply wants to pursue harmless eco friendly hobby"

paul

Aboardman

posted on 2/9/08 at 04:38 PM Reply With Quote
what is wrong with the 3 walls you would just need a roof of somekind i assume to make a workable space.
TOO BADD

posted on 2/9/08 at 04:58 PM Reply With Quote
Built mine over 2 years without a garage.
TOO BADD

posted on 2/9/08 at 05:00 PM Reply With Quote
Built mine over 2 years without a garage !
quinnj3

posted on 2/9/08 at 05:57 PM Reply With Quote
build it in your living room just as Robin Hood reccommends you do!!! (Was in a robin hood brochure I got a few years back)

my aim is to build my own locost wether it takes me a week or 10 years to get started, i'm sure i will sometime

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.