Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: road legal go-cart
TLowis

posted on 16/9/08 at 09:26 PM Reply With Quote
road legal go-cart

no not in the metaphorical sense i mean a serious road legal go cart over a few beers at the pub after work (pints of coke for me ) we have come up with the idea of building a bike engined go cart, something like a 650 ninja engine or whatever i find , but seen aso there wont be anywhere to testdrive it we thought about making it road legal .. what would you think sva might fail it on ?

any old 600cc+ engine needed ? aslong as its a runner including loom and carbs/bodies

ReMan

posted on 16/9/08 at 09:35 PM Reply With Quote
Everything
It won't look like a go kart once it's done

TLowis

posted on 16/9/08 at 09:38 PM Reply With Quote
hah well i need a list tbh to see if its really worth it all the only thing holding back .. i thought would be dimensions , and thats only depicted by the light / indicator placment

any old 600cc+ engine needed ? aslong as its a runner including loom and carbs/bodies

Mark G

posted on 16/9/08 at 09:40 PM Reply With Quote
Click me now

ReMan

posted on 16/9/08 at 09:57 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mark G
Click me now

Petrol tank is the first fail

TLowis

posted on 16/9/08 at 10:02 PM Reply With Quote
why ?

les g

posted on 16/9/08 at 10:03 PM Reply With Quote
how about a re-engine on one of them road legal buggies
would be easier as already road legal
les g

[Edited on 16/9/08 by les g]

ReMan

posted on 16/9/08 at 10:05 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TLowis
why ?

Apart from it not having an unleaded restrictor?
(did you not watch the vid of it being fuelled??)

ReMan

posted on 16/9/08 at 10:11 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by les g
how about a re-engine on one of them road legal buggies
would be easier as already road legal
les g

[Edited on 16/9/08 by les g]

I think that that is what you would end up with, not exactly a "GO KART" as we know them.

Dont get me wrong, I'd love a "Road Legal Go kart", but I think it would be prohibitively difficult to get through SVA such that that it would defeat the original objective

Triton

posted on 16/9/08 at 10:17 PM Reply With Quote
Hotbuggy got one of theirs mot'd and was regular sight around the roads in Daventry not sure if they sva'd it or cheated but heyo...CBR600 mental machine geared like a crosser. I had a drive in it around the farm where we had our workshop and ummm scary on the loose stuff.

My Daughter has taken over production of the damn fine Triton race seats and her contact email is emmatrs@live.co.uk.

www.tritonraceseats.com

www.hairyhedgehog.com

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Triton

posted on 16/9/08 at 10:18 PM Reply With Quote
It's now called the world rally kart and uses gsxr thou motor i think....

My Daughter has taken over production of the damn fine Triton race seats and her contact email is emmatrs@live.co.uk.

www.tritonraceseats.com

www.hairyhedgehog.com

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
speedyxjs

posted on 17/9/08 at 06:47 AM Reply With Quote
Can you imagine trying to control it at speed?

How long can i resist the temptation to drop a V8 in?

smart51

posted on 17/9/08 at 07:05 AM Reply With Quote
You have to have a brake for each wheel, a mechancial handbrake and road legal tyres. That stops most karts. Then you need lights at the right height.

I bet you could make a scratch built tiny open framed car that would pass SVA. It wouldn't exactly be a kart.

10" wheels and brakes from a mini or the very early suzuki rascal might be a good start, or possibly stuff from a small ATV.

russbost

posted on 17/9/08 at 07:52 AM Reply With Quote
I can't remember - is there anything in the manual saying you have to have suspension?

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
Paul TigerB6

posted on 17/9/08 at 08:19 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by russbost
I can't remember - is there anything in the manual saying you have to have suspension?

With the state of the UK roads, doing without will mean you need a new back!!

Miks15

posted on 17/9/08 at 08:57 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Paul TigerB6
quote:
Originally posted by russbost

With the state of the UK roads, doing without will mean you need a new back!!

And even with suspension do you really want to be that close to the gorund on UK roads?!?! ID go for one off the off road buggys re engined... then u can get 2 seats etc aswell.

TLowis

posted on 17/9/08 at 08:55 PM Reply With Quote
that hotbuggy looks mint , rather inspiring to create this instead of the bike engined go-cart , would be alot of work to do it from scratch but well worth it looks great sideways , one thing that baffels me is the drivetrain and how the diff works , from what i can tell its a butcherd sierra diff where the pinion is replaced with an adaptor plate to take the sproket

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.