Board logo

New book on self-built cars
kb58 - 13/4/07 at 03:18 PM

I posted this in the mid-engine group because that's the type of car it is. However, it's general enough that traditional front engine/rear drive builders will find it just as helpful. It covers: goal setting, research, design, gathering tools, garage layout, construction, debugging, and first drives.

I think you guys will find it to be a good resource: http://www.lulu.com/content/784994

Hammerhead - 13/4/07 at 03:38 PM

thats great!

does that mean that you will be removing your excellent website?

kb58 - 13/4/07 at 05:14 PM

If someone says, "Why buy the book when I can find everything on the site for free?", that's not cool. However, there's a lot of stuff in the book that's not on the site, so I hope the two can continue to coexist.

[Edited on 4/13/07 by kb58]

marvinsy - 14/4/07 at 04:01 AM

will it be available in other stores? ex. amazon I would like to buy a copy but I'm located in the philippines and I feel comfortable buying from amazon. havent tried lulu

kb58 - 14/4/07 at 04:19 AM

Go through Lulu's ordering process to the point to where it shows shipping charges, then decide if it's too much. If it is, you can wait until/if I figure out the e-book version. My concern about the e-book though is security... a real sticky one, that.

Regardless, I'll work with you so you can get the book in one form or another. Send me an e-mail through my site and I'll save your message so I don't forget.

tigris - 15/4/07 at 03:56 PM

Kurt, did you work with a publisher on this or self-published?
Is it an easy process getting lined up with lulu? Thanks

kb58 - 15/4/07 at 04:34 PM

Self-published. Yes it was very easy. The POD publishers will, if you want, leave you completely alone. That is, everything's up to you, format, editing, copy editing - everything. If you're considering writing/publishing something, I really recommend this book: http://www.johntreed.com/HTWP.html
It'll make you glad you don't deal with "real" publishers. My not doing so was more by dumb luck; they didn't want to talk to me, and now I'm glad they didn't. Writers do 99% of the work, but on average make 12% of the profits. Guess who gets all the rest - publishers and bookstores.

oadamo - 15/4/07 at 04:48 PM

is the book based on that mini on the front cover cus that looks so coooooool
adam

kb58 - 15/4/07 at 05:49 PM

Yes, and the same principles and guidelines apply to *any* sports car you want to build.

[Edited on 4/15/07 by kb58]

marvinsy - 16/4/07 at 04:34 PM

I might consider to buy from lulu but I'll ask my moms friend of she can ship it to me.

Thanks, Good luck on the book!
Marvin

kb58 - 16/4/07 at 06:29 PM

thanks, though I got a few comments about how amateurish the book info page look. Sigh, I suck, what can I say. I'll spend a bit more time on it, maybe adding some pages from the book, if not an expanded table of contents. You know, "teaser" material!

[Edited on 4/19/07 by kb58]

scudracer - 1/5/07 at 01:20 AM

Looks like an excellent book. Can't wait to get my own copy!!