Board logo

blade 919 standard exhaust mk indy
kevano - 18/10/05 at 05:17 PM

after getting thrown off the track at donnington at the weekend for being too noisey, i was wondering if a standard can would make it quiet enough and if it would fit onto my mk exhaust system? any ideas comments etc... cheers kev

Jon Ison - 18/10/05 at 05:31 PM

Q1..yes.

Q2..no, unless you weld a flange onto your exhaust too suit the 3 bolt fixing on the std can.......

andrew.carwithen - 18/10/05 at 05:53 PM

Yamaha R1 standard cans are reputed to be quiet.
In fact, I,ve just bought one which has been adapted for use on a BEC (see pic.)
As you can see, it has had a bent exit pipe added to end of can and it has a 'slip-on' inlet pipe, dia approx 52mm which should fit my MK manifold

I dunno if this is the same dia. as the standard Yam link pipe though!

I also can't tell you how quiet it is, as I'm still some way off from starting the engine for the first time!

HTH,
Andy. Rescued attachment AB end can 1 .jpg
Rescued attachment AB end can 1 .jpg

kevano - 18/10/05 at 06:13 PM

jon would it be ok if i got some sort of reducer and welded it onto the standard can, as i woul like to put my noisey one back on when not doing trackdays?

kevano - 18/10/05 at 06:14 PM

how much did you pay for that andrew

andrew.carwithen - 18/10/05 at 07:14 PM

I paid £40 for it (seems to be about the going rate for a s/h R1 end can on ebay - 'though I bought this off Andy Bates at AB Performance.)
Do a search on ebay under 'end can' and they'll be plenty on there! (Obviously steer clear of any described as a 'race' can or 'not for road use'!)

Andy.

Winston Todge - 18/10/05 at 07:31 PM

Have a squizz at this thread...

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=32407

The R1 can can be picked up very cheaply off ebay. And definitely nice and quiet, apparently.

Richard Miles and his website has some good info on the can... As seen in that last thread.

Chris.

Hellfire - 19/10/05 at 01:11 AM

Some cans come supplied with slipper connections on which may be suitable as a direct exchange depends on the bike really whether it is slipper or bolt on. Some fireblade's are slipper.

IIRC the MK system is 2" before the can... some bikes are larger than that - so choose wisely and research before buying. Don't get a race can as most are too loud and you won't get on't track.

You can always buy/make/steal/borrow a reducer/muffler to surpress noise but these sap power!

ChrisGamlin - 19/10/05 at 08:00 AM

Ive got a stock R1 can on my car, its certainly a quieter can than the ST repackable silencer I originally had on the car, but I still dont think it will quieten it sufficiently for somewhere like Donington or Goodwood, I reckon its in the region of 100/102db as tested by most circuits.

Kev, you also need to bear in mind that you probably got thrown off for drive-by noise at Donington, and in a lot of cases the main creator of that noise is not from the exhaust, but the induction roar generated when on full chat so putting on a quiet exhaust wont necessarily solve the issue. If you currently run an open sausage air filter, it would be highly advisable to look at running the stock airbox if it will fit, or getting a custom airbox made up if space is a problem.

Chris

kevano - 19/10/05 at 05:42 PM

thanks chris but i'm running a standard airbox,i've bid on a standard can on ebay so should be able to weld something up.

welderman - 19/10/05 at 07:34 PM

If you give me the size of your tube, ie on Blade can then i might be able to make you a swaged jointing piece which you can weld to the std Blade can. Think yours is a standard MK one like mine so got the size of that already.

Does that make sense

[Edited on 19/10/05 by welderman]

kevano - 21/10/05 at 06:38 PM

that'd be great but i've got a standard R1 can, i think this should be ok i'll give you the dimensions prob monday or tues, have you got paypal. many thanks kev