Board logo

Gearbox linkages??
Gakes - 7/8/08 at 09:43 PM

Hi all,
Im fitting my FWD drivetrain into my middy but I'm a bit stuck on working out the changes I need to do from my gear lever to the gearbox.How do I change the linkages around of a FWD VW Jetta mk2 to make it work in my middy? Are there simpler ways??

worX - 7/8/08 at 10:36 PM

Won't the later Passat/Corrado/Golf Gearboxes fit that engine?

You can pick up the Cable change boxes for reasonable money and that would make it a thousand times easier!

Steve

Gakes - 7/8/08 at 10:43 PM

gr8 thread Alan B My box worx with a rod

Worx, do u know which boxes will work with the VW mk2 engine?

worX - 8/8/08 at 09:00 AM

Not off the top of my head, but I'm sure you would find out in two seconds on a VW forum?

It is definitely the 'box in a Corrado, as I know someone that's done it.

Steve

akrallysport - 17/8/08 at 05:25 AM

I've become quite intimate with the 020 gearboxes found in Mk2 and most Mk3 Jetta/Vento/Golf's while replacing the clutch on my daily driver. Basically the only way run it in the mid-engine configuration is to run a custom linkage/shifter setup with push-pull cables. Also keep in mind the need to run a clutch cable.

Changing to the 02A 'box found in Mk3 VR6 & TDI will help as it is a cable-shift setup AND hydraulic clutch. I will try to verify whether the trans holes match the 1.8 block, but you will definitely require the corresponding clutch kit and flywheel for the 02A.

[Edited on 17/8/08 by akrallysport]