Board logo

Interior Mirror & Aeroscreens
Adam - 3/12/08 at 08:32 AM

Hi all,

I've just fitted a bubble style aeroscreen onto my indy and i can't see how i'm going to mount the rear view mirror are they a legal requirment? if so what have people fitted.

Cheers
Adam

nitram38 - 3/12/08 at 08:36 AM

If you can't fit a centre mirror, you must have both wing mirrors.
Think about vans, they don't have rear views if they have a solid wall behind them or stock in them

Adam - 3/12/08 at 08:37 AM

thats what i thought but on a search it seems most people say it's a legal requirment

Cheers
Adam

adithorp - 3/12/08 at 08:38 AM

Yes, you've got to have one...even if you can't see anything through it. If you can't see the required things through it, then you have to have a near side mirror as well.

I believe some have passed with a mirror fitted in positions where you can't see anything through it, just for the test.

edit... It's an oddity of the SVA that you need one. Just the way the manual is writen/interpreted. Like not needing a horn for SVA.

adrian

[Edited on 3/12/08 by adithorp]

nitram38 - 3/12/08 at 08:39 AM

My F1-2 car only side mirrors no centre. Passed sva.

clairetoo - 3/12/08 at 08:41 AM

You only have to have one for SVA - something that will be sorted with IVA I think .
Mine `fell off` on the way home from the SVA , and I've had no MOT problem's without it .

Edit - Adie edited while I was typing

[Edited on 3/12/08 by clairetoo]

adithorp - 3/12/08 at 08:43 AM

That F1-2 was a centre driving position so not the norm. I've seen a few fails listed on here for it.

Agree it's daft though.

adrian

Mr Whippy - 3/12/08 at 08:45 AM

not an MOT requirement though, could fit a cheap camera?

adithorp - 3/12/08 at 08:54 AM

Camera won't do as the SVA states "mirror".

Obligatory are interior and offside. Interior must be fitted unless it would provide NO rear vision (hence Nitrams case).

adrian

whitestu - 3/12/08 at 08:58 AM

Couldn't you fit a mirror to the top of the scuttle? I used a Halford suction one stuck on with Silicon sealant for SVA. Two years later its still there and works really well.

Stu

Mr Whippy - 3/12/08 at 09:04 AM

quote:
Originally posted by adithorp

Obligatory are interior and offside. Interior must be fitted unless it would provide NO rear vision (hence Nitrams case).

adrian

simple then, bolt a sheet of plywood to the roll bar and then you can't anything and won't need a mirror

02GF74 - 3/12/08 at 10:19 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Adam
and i can't see how i'm going to mount the rear view mirror

how about something like this?

Adam - 3/12/08 at 12:25 PM

car is on the road so not needed for the sva. Fitting the aeroscreen now so that i had no problems with the SVA. I guess it might just stay off and see if i get into trouble. Probably keep one in the car and say it fell off if i get pulled

adithorp - 3/12/08 at 02:50 PM

You only need an offside mirror and one other to be legal on the road and for MOT.

Interior stuff is just a peculiarity of the SVA so ignore all we've said earlier if its already on the road.

adrian

A1 - 3/12/08 at 03:44 PM

just asked the glasgow tester, he said you need one...