Board logo

metal replacement control stalks
jabbahutt - 4/12/08 at 10:07 AM

Morning all

Fancied changing the standard Sierra column stalks for for nicer looking metal ones.
Only place I'd heard did them are Dax and they don't have any.
Anyone know of anywhere that does such an item?

Cheers
Nigel

Thinking about it - 4/12/08 at 10:14 AM

like these?

scotty g - 4/12/08 at 10:22 AM

This guy (John) is the Belgian agent for Dax and came up with this idea himself and supplied them to Dax UK, the item is very popular and he can't make them fast enough, he is a lovely chap and i have had many conversations with him.
I can highly recommend doing any sort of business with him, very trustworthy and friendly.
cheers.

jabbahutt - 4/12/08 at 10:29 AM

Sorry can't access e bay to see the item in the link. Any chance of posting a picture?

It was the items made by John in Belgium I was trying to order. Have you an email address etc for him so i can try and order direct?

Thanks
Nigel

rayward - 4/12/08 at 10:47 AM

jabbahutt - 4/12/08 at 10:50 AM

that's the kind of thing, any idea how they're attached to the original switch?

Is it something that can easily be done?

Cheers
Nigel

Howlor - 4/12/08 at 10:54 AM

I made mine and they worked a treat. If you go to B&Q and buy some 10mm aluminium rod, if you dont have a lathe then just cut off an appropriate length and put it in a drill. Get a file and round off one end until nice and smooth. If you want some ribbing (yes please vicar) then use the file again.

Now cut off the indicator stalk leaving about 5-8mm. You should find a nice hole down the remaining length of stalk, IIRC this was about 4mm. I found an old drill that was a nice tight fit. Then drilled the end of my aluminium rod and loctited the drill into the rod and then in to the stalk stub. Left it for 10 mins and hey presto. A bit of polish on the Ali and it looks superb. I was really impressed how well they turned out. They had no flex in them they worked perfectly.

Steve

jabbahutt - 4/12/08 at 11:03 AM

Cheers Steve

Do you have any photos of them fitted? I'd considered making some myself but wasn't sure how to attach them.

That sounds an ideal solution

Nigel

hobbsy - 4/12/08 at 11:05 AM

Only bummer with these is that you lose some functionality of the original stalks.

Either the wash of the wash wipe or you can keep that but lose something else?

I would've gone for them had it but been for that.

jabbahutt - 4/12/08 at 11:19 AM

Hobbsy i take it you're talking about the replacement stalks when you mention losing functionality?

I was under the impression the the switch remained and the stalk was cut and then th replacements were some how attached therefore retaining the actual original switch?

Or as usual am I missing something?

Cheers
Nigel

hobbsy - 4/12/08 at 11:34 AM

@jabba

Yes I am on about loosing some functionality with these replacement stalks.

I've found where I read it... his ebay feedback.

You keep the screen wash at the cost of the intermittent wipe.

Quote from feedback:

" would have been nice if ad mentioned losing the intermittent wipers jif555 ( 414) 21-Mar-08 21:40
-- (#320227993756) --
look good - prompt delivery - thanks nzd40 ( 49) 19-Mar-08 18:23
-- (#320226930800) --
recived 'a 'ok happy many thanks ronalean ( 394) 18-Mar-08 20:48
-- (#320225428386) --
Nice but might of mentioned that you loose intermittent Wipe to screen wash"

Howlor - 4/12/08 at 12:54 PM

Yep they work but without the push button features on the end. That is if your sierra model had them fitted in the first place.

Steve