Board logo

indicator buttons on steering wheel??
corrado vr6 - 15/12/08 at 10:58 PM

Hi all,

Thinking of using something like this

thinking of using the buttons as indicators but how can i wire it up so that the wires dont get tangled up when steering.

Any suggestions welcome
Greg

YQUSTA - 15/12/08 at 11:18 PM

using something like this will help spiral cable

YQUSTA

mistergrumpy - 15/12/08 at 11:18 PM

I have that wheel but I'm not using the buttons. I'm still unsure what SVA view is on them. Anyhow can you rig the wires up to contact ring connections which stay intact when you use a steering boss?

austin man - 15/12/08 at 11:21 PM

you will need to consider auto cancelling for the indicators wont you ????that works off the steering column and the indicator stalk

designer - 16/12/08 at 12:58 AM

Is auto cancelling a requirement?

mistergrumpy - 16/12/08 at 01:04 AM

Nah not as I know.

nitram38 - 16/12/08 at 07:40 AM

Auto cancelling is not a requirement of sva as long as you can turn them off by some method.
Thanks for the spiral cable link as it is difficult to get spiral cable in the sizes needed I need one for my veypor dash which is going on my steering wheel.
A more expensive way of doing the connections is to buy an SPA quick release boss (with connections), but don't expect much change out of £250 Linky

[Edited on 16/12/2008 by nitram38]

Bluemoon - 16/12/08 at 09:52 AM

Think about what happened if you need a more than half/one turn on the wheel, you'll not press the correct button??

Dan

designer - 16/12/08 at 10:01 AM

Spiral cable should be wrapped around the steering column at least once.

DarrenW - 16/12/08 at 12:04 PM

Id be reserving those buttons for operating of digidash functions etc rather than indicators. As said above, if it was me id press the wrong button when wheel was anything other than dead ahead. (Maybe solved by colour coding - red for right and colour starting with L for left - or even put an L or R on them).

Dont need self cancelling for SVA. I used a on-off-on toggle switch in exemption area no probs. You must have a dash tell tale though.

lsdweb - 16/12/08 at 01:14 PM

I had a similar setup on my Fury a few years ago - it worked well once I got used to it. It was also good cos if I wanted the hazards on I just pressed both buttons!

Go for it!

As Nitram says though, finding multi core cable with a high enough capacity isn't easy (some truck dealers will stock it for their trailer connections.

Wyn