Board logo

seat belt question
bassett - 8/3/09 at 09:39 AM

Hi Im in the process of fitting my seats and seat belts. Just wondering do the belts need to be torqued down and to what torque? and second for the triangular mounting brackets do i need to cover these in U-trim or make a triangled shaped covering?

Cheers
Adam

jake_truck - 8/3/09 at 09:48 AM

Hi Adam

I have the same seats as you. One problem you may have is the angle of the harness as it passes through the hole in the seat. It can't rise up to the seat as that makes the seat structural, and it will fail sva, as mine did. I lowered the seat, the harness was then level, and it passed.
As for trimming the brackets, I didn't and had no problem. I didn't trim the seat edges either and had no problem.
As for torque figures, I think really tight should probably do it!

john

Mark G - 8/3/09 at 09:53 AM

Have you remembered to remove the little plastic securing washer before fitting the belts? Looks like on your first photo they may still be on the bolts.

bassett - 8/3/09 at 09:59 AM

Hi, Theres no chance the seat can go down its bolted to the floor - will this really be a problem as MNR hadnt instructed any changes?

The plastic washers are still on as it was just a test fit with the seats in for the first time. Once the washers are off do you just tighten them down or do i need washers so it can be tightened tightly?
Cheers
Adam

jake_truck - 8/3/09 at 10:07 AM

I agree with you, but the inspector didn't.
The exact wording on the fail sheet was "O/S seatbelt effective upper anchorage of inadequate strength"
The inspector suggested either raising the seatbelt mounting points or lowering the seat. There was no issue with n/s seat as that is bolted to the floor but the o/s seat is on adjustable runners. There were spacers built into the runners, so was a case of removing them. The seat was also tilted back slightly, which actually improved he driving position.
Other people have had this issue before. I passed sva friday last week at newcastle. I realise some people avoid this centre but thought it was fine.

john

maximill666 - 8/3/09 at 11:37 AM

Mine were quite a bit lower than the slots in the seats & the seats were on runners, the SVA examiner at chadderton passed them no problem

I just used u-trim to cover the edges of the clips etc

[Edited on 8/3/09 by maximill666]

jake_truck - 8/3/09 at 11:50 AM

I think not all sva inspectors are the same. The reason he failed mine was the height. It's a problem when the regulations are so open to interpretation. They should be the same at every centre. Thats why I said my car was tested at newcastle. It would be interesting to know any other differences between testers interpretations.

john

omega0684 - 8/3/09 at 11:52 AM

what are the little plastic washers on the bolts for?

snapper - 8/3/09 at 12:00 PM

The usual way to present for SVA/IVA if the seat belt slots in the seat are not in the correct possition is to put the seat belts around the seat not through it for the test.

bassett - 8/3/09 at 02:55 PM

Thanks for the replies - snapper will they definitely pass it like that?

dave-69isit - 8/3/09 at 07:03 PM

jag made a mount that raised the belt but left the eyes were thay were have a look in his piks

Triton - 8/3/09 at 07:31 PM

Easier to alter the slots in the seat from what I can see.

Mark

bassett - 8/3/09 at 10:55 PM

to be straight the holes would have to be about an inch lower which is quite a bit of trimming id rather not have to do

Triton - 8/3/09 at 11:03 PM

quote:
Originally posted by bassett
to be straight the holes would have to be about an inch lower which is quite a bit of trimming id rather not have to do

It's a doddle honest, use masking tape to protect the gel coat then mark out the slots then with a whizzy whizz them out and use that edging stuff...JD as they say and would take half an hour tops.
Lot safer than raising (what already looks a tad high)the belt mounting as surely raising that raises the risk of it wanting to bend?