Board logo

Couple of questions re seats and seat belts
speedyxjs - 10/6/09 at 04:22 PM

Thought id trial fit my drivers seat and seat belts today.
1st problem is that i think i may have mounted the seat to far backward so if i re drill the floor to mount it further forward, what can be done with the original holes?
2nd problem is that when the seat belt is adjusted for me, the adjustment straps (the remaining belt) is very long and reaches my knee. Is there any way to get them shortened?
3rd and final question is that i dont have much room in the seating area. The harness mounts i am using are theseand i was wondering whether mr IVA would mind if i screwed the bold into the nut side rather than the plate side.

speedyxjs - 10/6/09 at 04:25 PM

These are the harness' i am using (except in black):

You can see how long the shoulder straps are in the pic

Macbeast - 10/6/09 at 04:32 PM

Re belts - can't you just cut the surplus off and seal the ends with heat to stop fraying - they may be nylon

Flamez - 10/6/09 at 04:34 PM

Leave the holes to let the water run out.

speedyxjs - 10/6/09 at 04:48 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Macbeast
Re belts - can't you just cut the surplus off and seal the ends with heat to stop fraying - they may be nylon

Is that IVA safe?

brianthemagical - 10/6/09 at 04:52 PM

If you're worried about IVA, try rolling the ends up then cable tie them/gaffer tape them to another part of the belt.

As for hole, gromets, leave them as above, gaffer tape.

chris_smith - 10/6/09 at 05:10 PM

i passed sva with belts that are similar to the ones above, the shoulder straps are way way way to long and nothing was ever mentioned, i will however be shortening them soon, stitched and melted

chris

Miks15 - 10/6/09 at 07:27 PM

Looks like you have the tintop style seatbelts, one option would be to sell and buy some short ones specifically for 7 style cars?

speedyxjs - 10/6/09 at 08:18 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Miks15
Looks like you have the tintop style seatbelts, one option would be to sell and buy some short ones specifically for 7 style cars?

Yeah i was thinking that.
Anyone want to make an offer

coozer - 10/6/09 at 09:51 PM

1. Use the holes for runners??
2. Roll them up or sew some velcro on. Mine were quite long and wipped the side of me face off at speed.
3. No idea atm.

speedyxjs - 11/6/09 at 06:01 AM

quote:
Originally posted by coozer
1. Use the holes for runners??

They are already on runners.
When i move the seat to an idea position for me, the runners are as far forward as they go

MikeRJ - 11/6/09 at 08:32 AM

The eye bolts should not be screwed in from the nut side. The welds on the nut are purely to make it captive, they are not designed to withstand the huge forces that would be placed on them in an accident.

Are the harness proper '7' ones, or are they standard tin top items?

[Edited on 11/6/09 by MikeRJ]

iank - 11/6/09 at 08:45 AM

Do as procomp suggests (here) and use a punch to make the holes one way (ish) and use them as water drains.

Otherwise use blind grommets to close them off.

I wouldn't cut the harnesses before IVA (retest too expensive to take the risk) even though it's quite safe to cut down adjustment tails. Tie them up neatly.

On the eye bolts, yes he would mind as MikeRJ points out.

[Edited on 11/6/09 by iank]

speedyxjs - 11/6/09 at 07:34 PM

Ok, cheers guys. That'll keep me busy at the weekend