Board logo

Bolting seats to chassi rails
ahunt - 28/6/09 at 02:20 PM

Hello,

Sorry if this has been cover before, but.... If i were to make brackets rather than welding bars to the chassi rails. would it be acceptable to drill and tap into the rails and have 4 bolts per bracket holding it on. just at the point of working with what ive got before i can buy seats

Cheers

Adam

[Edited on 28/6/09 by ahunt]

Ben_Copeland - 28/6/09 at 03:00 PM

Yes, mine are bolted to the steel floor with spreader plates. That was fine.

Brackets should be fine. As long as they are man enough and you use suitable bolts.

Bolts and Nuts are better than taping

[Edited on 28/6/09 by Ben_Copeland]

eznfrank - 28/6/09 at 04:30 PM

I may have misunderstood what you've said here but are you suggesting that the seats will be held in place with a bolt through a tapped thread?? ie. No nut??

ahunt - 28/6/09 at 06:42 PM

This maybe a little clearer. i mean drilling and tapping the actual rails so as the picture im bolting a frame to the chassi but tapping the rails out and using lock head nuts to secure the frame. And then bolting my seats to these frames...

adithorp - 28/6/09 at 06:53 PM

The tube wall will not be thick enough to take tapping.

adrian

stevegough - 28/6/09 at 07:10 PM

Rivnuts?

Triton - 28/6/09 at 08:27 PM

Depends on the seats and how they are mounted but 16swg tube won't take a thread unless weld a threaded boss on or use rivnuts but then most seats will require a nut to secure them anyway......Oh and I know a nut who makes them

Chippy - 28/6/09 at 10:32 PM

I think that if you fix something through a tube, then SVA/IVA require that there is a welded in spacer to bridge the hollow section. Don't know if that would apply to seat mountings, but I bet that it will. Cheers Ray

Triton - 28/6/09 at 10:39 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Chippy
I think that if you fix something through a tube, then SVA/IVA require that there is a welded in spacer to bridge the hollow section. Don't know if that would apply to seat mountings, but I bet that it will. Cheers Ray

Yes indeedly they will and should be done for your own safety and piece of mind.

ahunt - 29/6/09 at 11:05 AM

ok ill just weld some flat to the rails itll be easyer, cheers guys